Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 08:33 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There are four recognized variants. Yes, documented samples extend back to last year, mostly late last year, but didn't have a big impact until this year. Tried pasting the chart but it displayed all mangled.

Currently designated Variants of Concern:
https://www.who.int/en/activities/tr...oV-2-variants/

I remember that. Chatter was the variants were not that different and did not change the efficacy of the vaccines. That was then and this is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 08:41 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
They're making breakthrough infections to be much more of a risk than they really are. It's mainly a risk that they can be passed on to people who are unvaccinated.

Quote:
Bottom line: Don't panic. So far, research shows the current vaccines are holding up well against the delta variant. For instance, data from the U.K. suggests the Pfizer vaccine is 88% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 from the delta variant after two doses. And an earlier study from the U.K. found it is 96% effective against hospitalization.

Everyone Should Wear A Mask In Schools, Vaccinated Or Not, U.S. Pediatricians Say
THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS
Everyone Should Wear A Mask In Schools, Vaccinated Or Not, U.S. Pediatricians Say
If you do get infected (which is not likely but possible), the vaccine should help you keep from getting seriously sick. "Breakthrough infections, they tend to be mild — they tend to be more like a cold," said Dr. Carlos del Rio, professor of medicine and infectious disease epidemiology at Emory University.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...s-what-to-know

Your antibody level is predictive of whether you're vulnerable to getting re-infected.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02096-3

Old 07-30-2021, 08:45 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're making breakthrough infections to be much more of a risk than they really are. It's mainly a risk that they can be passed on to people who are unvaccinated.
We're a few news articles away from a more or less permanent lockdown.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:32 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There are four recognized variants. Yes, documented samples extend back to last year, mostly late last year, but didn't have a big impact until this year. Tried pasting the chart but it displayed all mangled.

Currently designated Variants of Concern:
https://www.who.int/en/activities/tr...oV-2-variants/

But we now also have (from your same article) Eta, Iota, Kappa and LAMBDA

Don't forget Epsilon, Zeta and Theta are there, but so far, insignificant--And, there will be more

Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 PM

4,178 posts, read 5,057,468 times
Quote:
...Your antibody level is predictive of whether you're vulnerable to getting re-infected.
Antibodies aren't the only line of defense against the virus.

Quote:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02096-3
From the article:

Quote:
...the difference in antibody levels between trial participants who had breakthrough infections and those who didn’t was not statistically significant.
Quote:
...The latest study does have drawbacks. It is based on a small number of cases among young and healthy adults, which limits its application.
Quote:
...the analysis does not provide a specific level of antibodies that is associated with protection...
Not saying this is a dead end, but I'd be more interested in the quantity/duration of B & T cell response.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What actions are suggested? Panic? Permanent lockdown?

No. Just let the virus rip. It needs to infect 100 million more Americans. About a million give or take will die and hopefully that is it. We have already lost almost that many with lock downs and mask mandates and everyone afraid to be around everyone else. As well as totally screwing up the economy. We have to stop pretending that we have the upper hand. Clearly we do not. We have a vaccine that was suppose to be what stops it. Half the people are afraid to take it and the ones that have can still spread covid. Give it free reign for a few months and everyone will be exposed to it and just maybe those that survive can go back to a normal life.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:03 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...=3536220&faf=1

This is without a doubt the most frightening article that I have read since the Pandemic started. Much more frightening than my original COVID post 3/20/2020

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/cur...ce-thread.html

I am not talking about vaccines, this is about this virus and it's ability to change and mutate rapidly.

I am certainly not talking about politics and the CDC.

I know, and respect, both Drs Nelson and their Institutions. To me, this Medscape article is a wake up call and deserves reading and respecting!
The medpage article is not scary to me.
If you like a horror genre read the very detailed scientific paper below - one does not have to get into scientific details to understand a few major concepts

“ International Journal of Vaccine Theory, Practice, and Research2(1), May 10, 2021 Page 38
“Worse Than the Disease? Reviewing Some Possible Unintended Consequences of the mRNA Vaccines Against COVID-19”

Click on pdf . Truly fascinating. It is relevant to both vaccinated and unvaccinated as well as to those who has had COVID-19 already- so they can keep an eye on their future health post Covid

https://ijvtpr.com/index.php/IJVTPR/article/view/23/51

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-31-2021 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-31-2021, 06:18 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No. Just let the virus rip. It needs to infect 100 million more Americans. About a million give or take will die and hopefully that is it. We have already lost almost that many with lock downs and mask mandates and everyone afraid to be around everyone else. As well as totally screwing up the economy. We have to stop pretending that we have the upper hand. Clearly we do not. We have a vaccine that was suppose to be what stops it. Half the people are afraid to take it and the ones that have can still spread covid. Give it free reign for a few months and everyone will be exposed to it and just maybe those that survive can go back to a normal life.
I hate to say it, I'm almost there as my point of view.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I hate to say it, I'm almost there as my point of view.

As a civil society the knee jerk reaction is save lives at all costs. Not sure that is best for society in this case.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:46 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know what matters to me? Hospitalization rates and death rates. "Transmission" rates of an illness that is mild nearly all the time doesn't faze me that much one way or the other. I mean, I don't want to be a super spreader but I am simply not going to live in fear of being asymptomatic or mildly sick for a few days (the only positive cases I've known for the record). I'll follow mandates, regulations, etc. and keep my own immune system healthy and, well, so far so good. (I'm also vaccinated- since March - and so far so good on that front too.)

Sorry my report isn't very exciting. Meanwhile, I'm meeting some friends at a wine bar this evening - should be fun.
My sentiments exactly. Notice those attempting to spread the panic about this, or any other variant of the covid " boogeyman" have said little to nothing about the severity of the disease caused by the virus, and speak mostly in speculative terms, "could", "might", "it's possible".

Basically, it's viruses acting like viruses act. As has gone on since the dawn of time...... IMO the fear and control the Powers That Be are attempting to spread among the populace, 1) makes no sense, and 2) is motivated by something other than concern for public health.

Enjoy your evening out with your friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness