Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 11:07 AM

724 posts, read 403,278 times

Advertisements

This morning I put some ear drops into my ear, I hadn't used them in a while so more volume than normal came out and one of my ears feels clogged (like it feels when you get water in your ears).

It's felt like that for a couple of hours and when I move my head and can feel the clog.

Any tips for how to drain the clogged feeling? I also have ear wax, which I'm guessing may be trapping it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 01:31 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
This morning I put some ear drops into my ear, I hadn't used them in a while so more volume than normal came out and one of my ears feels clogged (like it feels when you get water in your ears).

It's felt like that for a couple of hours and when I move my head and can feel the clog.

Any tips for how to drain the clogged feeling? I also have ear wax, which I'm guessing may be trapping it.

Thanks.
Was the drop a product intended to loosen earwax? Did you flush your ear after using the drops? If there really was a lot of wax buildup just putting drops in won't work by itself or if it does, it will take a lot longer. The second important step is to flush the ear with very warm water to push the softened loose wax all the way out of the ear canal. There's probably a chunk stuck in a narrower curved section. DON'T stick anything such as a Q-tip in your ear!!! It could push the wax against your eardrum and possibly injure it. Plus, compact the wax even more. Some earwax removal kits also provide a small bulb syringe. You can buy refills for the solution (some people mix their own) but use the bulb over and over for years. One of my ears gets wax buildup more than the other due to the shape of that ear canal. I've used wax softening/removal aids for decades. That warm water flush makes a huge difference!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-02-2021 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-02-2021, 02:11 PM

724 posts, read 403,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Was the drop a product intended to loosen earwax? Did you flush your ear after using the drops? If there really was a lot of wax buildup just putting drops in won't work by itself or if it does, it will take a lot longer. The second important step is to flush the ear with warm water to push the softened loose wax all the way out of the ear canal. There's probably a chunk stuck in a narrower curved section. DON'T stick anything such as a Q-tip in your ear!!! It could push the wax against your eardrum and possibly injure it. Plus, compact the wax even more. Some earwax removal kits also provide a bulb syringe. You can buy refills for the solution (some people mix their own solution) and use the bulb over and over for years. One of my ears gets wax buildup more than the other due to the shape of the ear canal. I've used wax softening/removal aids for decades. That warm water flush can provide amazing relief!
Thanks! I wasn't using the ear drops to treat the ear wax. Usually once a month I just put ear drops in my ear but this time when I did it, in one of my ears a large volume of the ear drops came out and it felt like my ear was clogged (when I moved my head I could feel a "woosh" sound like there was water trapped in it).

I do have a history of having lots of ear wax though. I forgot to wash with warm water. I actually called an audiologist and she walked be through how to flush it out, and I was lucky that I somehow had ear wax removal solution around. Between the 2 it did the trick and everything is back to normal now.

I've had that happen before when I use drops and it usually goes away in a couple minutes, but this time it lasted a little longer. It was definitely ear wax because after using the ear wax removal solution I could feel it break up and could feel the pressure reduce.

Thanks again for your tips! I will keep them handy going forward

Old 06-02-2021, 02:21 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
Thanks! I wasn't using the ear drops to treat the ear wax. Usually once a month I just put ear drops in my ear but this time when I did it, in one of my ears a large volume of the ear drops came out and it felt like my ear was clogged (when I moved my head I could feel a "woosh" sound like there was water trapped in it).

I do have a history of having lots of ear wax though. I forgot to wash with warm water. I actually called an audiologist and she walked be through how to flush it out, and I was lucky that I somehow had ear wax removal solution around. Between the 2 it did the trick and everything is back to normal now.

I've had that happen before when I use drops and it usually goes away in a couple minutes, but this time it lasted a little longer. It was definitely ear wax because after using the ear wax removal solution I could feel it break up and could feel the pressure reduce.

Thanks again for your tips! I will keep them handy going forward
Such a simple thing like unclogging an ear can be amazing. Suddenly you feel as if all sound has become crystal clear, amplified, that you haven't heard the world surrounding you for ages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness