Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 04:15 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

Study shows O- blood type only has a 2% chance of COVID-19 infection, making about 13% of the population immune without vaccine

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadvisor...o-blood-types/

Quote:
Patients with type O and rhesus negative (Rh-) blood groups may have a lower risk of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection and severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) illness, according to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:19 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
And this

https://singularityhub.com/2021/05/0...-our-genetics/

Quote:
One especially strong link popped out: the gene that determines a person’s blood type. The analysis showed that the ABO gene strongly linked to the possibility that someone would test negative for Covid-19. A person’s blood type is determined by variations in a single gene. The team found that the O blood type was less likely to test positive for the infection than expected—suggesting, though not necessarily proving, that the blood type could be more protective against the disease.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:20 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Study shows O- blood type only has a 2% chance of COVID-19 infection, making about 13% of the population immune without vaccine

Reduced risk does not mean no risk, so it does not make 13% of the population "immune". To be immune you have to be either infected or vaccinated.

What the study shows is that some people are relatively resistant, which is true of all infections. Even with highly infectious measles not everyone exposed catches it.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:26 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:

But if I'm reading that article right, the highest chance of Covid infection was only 4%, for type B+. And being type O- didn't protect against severe illness or death. So I'm thinking this information is basically useless and it doesn't mean that at least 96% of the population is naturally immune.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:53 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
Quote:

There has been meta-analysis involving ABO types and COVID in terms of susceptibility and severity. There are minor differences in terms of infection and no difference in terms of clinical outcome once infected.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32739464/

There's temptation there in trying to read too much into ABO type because of the thrombotic complications involving COVID. We know that people who are type O has less Von Willebrand factor VIII antigen. This can result in patients with type O blood having a slightly more prolonged Platelet Function Assay closure times compared to those who are type A. Type A people have the highest concentration of such factor.

In the blood bank cryoprecipitates are stored frozen in order to treat low fibrinogen levels and to treat acquired Von Willebrand factor deficiency states such as with heart surgery, aortic stenosis or with congenital Von Willebrand disease bleeding. It has been suggested at blood bank seminars that only type A cryoprecipitate be stored rather than other types of such product because of the higher concentration found in that blood type.

It is speculated that COVID puts the person into a prothrombotic state and so anything that tilts it more into that thrombotic state can be contributory. It just hasn't been proven based on outcome studies involving blood types.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:15 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
There has been meta-analysis involving ABO types and COVID in terms of susceptibility and severity. There are minor differences in terms of infection and no difference in terms of clinical outcome once infected.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32739464/

There's temptation there in trying to read too much into ABO type because of the thrombotic complications involving COVID. We know that people who are type O has less Von Willebrand factor VIII antigen. This can result in patients with type O blood having a slightly more prolonged Platelet Function Assay closure times compared to those who are type A. Type A people have the highest concentration of such factor.

In the blood bank cryoprecipitates are stored frozen in order to treat low fibrinogen levels and to treat acquired Von Willebrand factor deficiency states such as with heart surgery, aortic stenosis or with congenital Von Willebrand disease bleeding. It has been suggested at blood bank seminars that only type A cryoprecipitate be stored rather than other types of such product because of the higher concentration found in that blood type.

It is speculated that COVID puts the person into a prothrombotic state and so anything that tilts it more into that thrombotic state can be contributory. It just hasn't been proven based on outcome studies involving blood types.
Just curious. Are you trying to communicate something to the readers of this thread or simply trying to impress people with how many big medical words that you know? You may be smart as hell, but your communication skills with regard to the typical reader of these threads is about ZERO... and I'm saying that from the perspective of a person with a college degree in Engineering.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Just curious. Are you trying to communicate something to the readers of this thread or simply trying to impress people with how many big medical words that you know? You may be smart as hell, but your communication skills with regard to the typical reader of these threads is about ZERO... and I'm saying that from the perspective of a person with a college degree in Engineering.
Usually when somebody cites medical research rather than simply makes a statement or summarizes the research one assumes they are capable of understanding such articles which tend to technical.

My answers very based on the presentation of the question. If you use cooking terms then I will use cooking terms and vague phrases then I would do the same adjusting to the persons level of understandings.

Thanks for letting me know and next I will use baby talk when I communicate with people here even those with engineering degrees. So let me try this then,

If you get an owie like what happens with COVID then doctors won't be checking the type of ketchup inside you because they don't think it will help much. Some people say depending on the type of ketchup one has then they might get bigger owies.

Maybe some topics are not meant for this forum. I do have an understanding that only certain people would be interested in the topic while others might be not be and are clueless. One can always ask questions based on interest level. In my view using baby talk does not bring in clarity to the topic. It's a matter of a gradual education that needs to take place when one talks about more complex medical issues. I am more comfortable answering technical questions with technical answers while those not familiar the topic prefer personal insults indicating they are clueless about the topic.

By the way I only just now caught the part where they said that people who are type O or O negative are immune to the virus. That is not the case. Somebody who is not very good on the subject might read an article and conclude that based on their reduction of a complex topic and ends up being baby talk.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
I like it when he uses technical terms. I end up having to look up those terms and then (OMG such trauma) learn something new.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I like it when he uses technical terms. I end up having to look up those terms and then (OMG such trauma) learn something new.
I do it on purpose to add precision as to what we are talking about so people can look up symptoms and the diagnostic workflow associated with that symptom.

Since I started posting here the spread of the education that I see is all over the board. I have talked about thrombocytopenia and a poster tells me that, "I know that as I became an expert in it". People who have something wrong with them often do read quite a lot about their problems.

It not a matter of being smart or selling my smartness for any gain. I am not selling products or anything. I am no smarter nor dumber than anybody else. I am educated in what I do and that comes with time. The word smart has no context especially since I post links about what I am saying. I posted a link on the meta-analysis with regards to my position. I refrain from baby talk and prefer people just ignore what I have to say and move on.

Somebody that is interested in a topic will know more about it simply because of interest while somebody who do not like the topic will know very little about it. I suggest those people get educated or keep it moving. There are many topics I have no interest in and don't post nor read.

I don't intend on traumatizing anybody needlessly so if my post aren't for you then that is fine with me.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:44 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
"If you can't dazzle 'em with briiliance............"

As I've heard, and experience has shown, a true measure of knowledge on a given topic is the ability to present/ explain it to one's audience in ways that the audience understands and finds relevant, regardless of the composition of the audience in terms of education or other variables.

Speaking over the heads of an audience whose eyes are glazed over and wondering when it's time for lunch might convince the speaker of his/her own brilliance but doesn't do a lot towards achieving educational objectives.

As for the take home message in the linked article from the NIH article, there might be some relationship between blood types and infectivity of the covid virus, but it's not proven, and the nature of that relationship is not known. The conclusion is that ongoing study is merited. At least that is my take on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.