Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 05:44 AM

533 posts, read 481,828 times

Advertisements

Someone has been struggling with toenail fungus since early 2017.

Numerous Podiatry trips to scrape the nail and apply a compound didnt help. There is some infection, or pus under the left big toenail it seems.

Numerous times person soaked nails, applied softeners, scraped dead nail in bathroom.

2021 and no luck :-(

Person finally saw Dermatologist who prescribed 84-day course of Terbinafine 250 mg. Dermatologist said the anti-fungal will work 1 YEAR after he stopped the 84-day course (this was about a month ago).

Dermatologist said if needed, person can take another course of Terbinafine.

But note, Terbinafine can seriously damage Liver (hence he had standing order to get blood work ever 4 weeks)

But now the person is so discouraged from the medications, this and that.

He wants to remove toenail.

I did a quick google and found

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...l-nail-surgery

It says

"Fingernails usually come back in six months, and toenails in 18 months, but it could take longer."

But the disturbing thing is:

"In severe cases, they may have to destroy the nail matrix, which is what makes your nail grow back."

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!!!!!!!!

What severe cases? How severe is severe? Never grow back?????

Do you know or do you have similar type of problem and had to undergo this type of surgery? Did you have beautiful nails grow back without any fungus?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 05:58 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Minor complications are common following nail surgery, though serious complications are rare. More common when patient is a smoker.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...gery-necessary

Old 05-27-2021, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Similarly, as a kid I had a bad infection under a fingernail, on my index finger. The doctor put a tight rubber band around it until it turned blue, and was numb enough to not feel the injection to numb it long enough for the work to be done. As I recall it was several weeks before it started to grow back, and probably 6 months to be completely grown in. Though it was a long time ago I do remember that the pain was only for a couple of days after, and I just got aspirin (pre-Tylenol).

Old 05-27-2021, 05:14 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
I can't speak for surgical removal but when I had fungus on my big toe I put vaporub on it and the fungus went away. No need to buy name brand, generic works just as well.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:39 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Taking my elderly mom to Podiatrist next week for similar situation...They did mention toenail removal (at urgentcare)...will see what happens.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:54 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Raises hand.

I fought with toenail fungus for years---tried everything. Finally had them all removed under anesthesia by a podiatrist, after my GP did it improperly (ouch) with a local. They were just driving me to tears.

I'm glad I did it. No they never came back after the 2nd time. Yes, the matrix does have to be "poisoned" or the nail will come back. Mine came back with more fungus after being removed improperly.

So they have been gone totally for about 15 years and I'm not sorry. It is more tender where they used be, than I expected, but it hasn't caused any problems. No one ever notices they are gone. It doesn't look weird or creepy since the "shape" of the nailbed is still there. I live in flip-flops too.

I'm additionally glad now since I can't bend down to trim them with my bad hip these days. Nothing grosser than ugly yellowed longish toenails---ICK. Never have to worry about that!

Old 05-29-2021, 08:59 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I can't speak for surgical removal but when I had fungus on my big toe I put vaporub on it and the fungus went away. No need to buy name brand, generic works just as well.
Hmm, just wondering...did you have the fungus under the toenail? I mean just to apply vaporub on the nail wouldn't seem to do the job. In other words, did you cut the nail real short and apply it to the skin or over the nail itself?

Old 05-29-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Minor complications are common following nail surgery, though serious complications are rare. More common when patient is a smoker.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...gery-necessary
Patient quit smoking 30 years ago!

Old 05-29-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Similarly, as a kid I had a bad infection under a fingernail, on my index finger. The doctor put a tight rubber band around it until it turned blue, and was numb enough to not feel the injection to numb it long enough for the work to be done. As I recall it was several weeks before it started to grow back, and probably 6 months to be completely grown in. Though it was a long time ago I do remember that the pain was only for a couple of days after, and I just got aspirin (pre-Tylenol).
Ouch!

That sounds traumatic, especially as a kid!

Old 05-29-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Initially Patient tried Vaporub, but didn't work :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness