Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 10:52 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times

Advertisements

I was looking to get my first COVID shot today while I was doing some shopping at the local supermarket (part of a regional chain), since they advertise that it's available there. Unfortunately, the pharmacy was closed when I was there.

I was reading their informational posters about the vaccine, and they indicate that the vaccine has no out-of-pocket charge, but they do bill your insurance for some sort of fee.

I suppose I'm not surprised that the COVID vaccine isn't TOTALLY free, since somebody somewhere probably has to get the bill. But suppose that you're one of the millions of uninsured? I'm not sure how much the vaccine costs, but would they charge you personally for it? And would they refuse you the shot if you couldn't afford it?

As I said, the pharmacy was closed so I couldn't ask any questions. But it's a point of curiosity.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:55 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
A simple search would tell you. If you have insurance, they will bill your insurance company, if you don't have ins. they won't obviously. Either way, the vaccine is at no cost to the recipient.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:22 AM

5,704 posts, read 4,278,576 times
What Flamingo said. When I was waiting my 15 minutes after being jabbed 2 young men came in and said they had no insurance. They got processed and vaccinated before I even left.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:36 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
I've already made my appointment. Seems that, in some rare/isolated cases, there seem to be a few hiccups:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/5/22...al-fee-bill-dc

Old 05-24-2021, 04:25 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,652,448 times
I got vaccinated at a provider set up by the state. Didn't cost me anything and I did not have to give them any insurance info.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:09 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
The hospital system where we got our vaccines billed our insurance for an administration fee. This fee does not go towards our deductible, which one person has yet to satisfy and is 100% covered. I believe in the case of the uninsured, that administration fee goes back to HHS or some other government department.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:11 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I was looking to get my first COVID shot today while I was doing some shopping at the local supermarket (part of a regional chain), since they advertise that it's available there. Unfortunately, the pharmacy was closed when I was there.

I was reading their informational posters about the vaccine, and they indicate that the vaccine has no out-of-pocket charge, but they do bill your insurance for some sort of fee.

I suppose I'm not surprised that the COVID vaccine isn't TOTALLY free, since somebody somewhere probably has to get the bill. But suppose that you're one of the millions of uninsured? I'm not sure how much the vaccine costs, but would they charge you personally for it? And would they refuse you the shot if you couldn't afford it?

As I said, the pharmacy was closed so I couldn't ask any questions. But it's a point of curiosity.
the taxpayer has already paid for the development of these

vaccines.https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/healt...ing/index.html

so now the ins cos are transferring money that has already been paid in by subscribers to the cos who were already paid by the taxpayer. Double dipping.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:05 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post

Uninsured vaccinated at participating pharmacies are reimbursed via the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Provider Relief Fund.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/retail-pharmacy-program/faqs.html#:~:text=COVID%2D19%20vaccine%20is,Admini stration's%20Provider%20Relief%20Fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness