Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:21 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,286,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
People are all ready going to restaurants judging by the common 1 hr waits on weekends for a table.
That wait would be a dealbreaker for me now- I would occasionally tolerate it pre-COVID but not now, even post-vaccination. Appropriate distancing would require lines around the block outdoors since you can no longer cram people into crowded indoor waiting areas.\

I'm going to be wary of crowds for a very long time. It may be irrational but that's how I feel now.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:25 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,088,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That wait would be a dealbreaker for me now- I would occasionally tolerate it pre-COVID but not now, even post-vaccination. Appropriate distancing would require lines around the block outdoors since you can no longer cram people into crowded indoor waiting areas.\

I'm going to be wary of crowds for a very long time. It may be irrational but that's how I feel now.
Lots of restaurants are doing "virtual queues" where they text you when a table is available.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:37 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,303,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

Even pre-covid I didn't know any restaurants doing "lines". Some give you pagers and some text you. You can wait in your car.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:43 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,791,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
So, we'll wait and see, even if it's at the risk of economic recovery
A matter of personal choice. But I sincerely hope that most people choose otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
People have been obsessing on this virus for a YEAR. Lots of damage has been done to the collective psyche. Lots of previously normal people have become germaphobes and hermits.
Exactly! What was formerly pathological extremism, has gone mainstream. Pusillanimity has become a virtue. To seek human company has become vilified, as being somewhere between irresponsible and outright unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Covid did make us aware of just how much money we were spending on restaurant food that was pretty mediocre. We'll head back into restaurants in mid-April but will probably cut our restaurant spend in half compared to 2019 because we came to appreciate our own cooking more.
My food-costs have actually increased. Formerly I benefited from corporate lunches/dinners where the company footed the bill, and where I’d go home with leftovers. Also from public seminars with food offered after the lecture; formal functions of various sorts; retirement parties,… And remember workplace travel? That meant a per-diem budget… which is now, zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
...Greed over health has been the Achilles heel of this pandemic. ....
A matter of perception. Why is “greed” necessarily an evil, and “health” necessarily a good?

Old 03-25-2021, 01:49 PM

9,830 posts, read 11,606,738 times
I'm going to wait till next year to travel. I am more scared and concerned of the Anti Vaxxers than anyone else. You know the ones, "I don't have to wear a mask" or "the guy on Newsmax says i don't need to get a shot". I have Friends of mine that have been traveling, vacationing in places like Las Vegas, Mexico and Florida like "What Pandemic"

I think were going to sit this one out this year

Old 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,335,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are some of us who understand how to properly use a mask. That means put it on and touch it as little as possible. You will see me alone in my car wearing a mask because I put it on when I start doing errands and take it off when I finish, rather than putting it on and removing it for every stop.

Vanden Bossche is wrong. Easy to understand rebuttal here:

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...vanden-bossche

"Take-home message:
- Dr. Geert Vanden Bossche is a veterinarian who recently released an open letter boldly claiming that the COVID-19 vaccines will be harmful to humanity by allowing the virus to mutate in dangerous ways
- If we are worried about dangerous variants emerging, it is much more riskier to allow the virus to spread between unvaccinated people
- If coronavirus variants emerge for which the current vaccines offer little to no protection, the vaccines can be reformulated to be a better fit, much like the annual flu vaccine
- Dr. Bossche proposes the use of a new type of vaccine based on natural killer cells, which he claims he is working on but for which there is no published evidence"
Sorry, not impressed with this “science communicator’s” inflammatory rebuttal - to a doctor - of though a veterinary medicine, with a life long experience in virology. All fluff from Google and no data, but plenty of emotionally charged labels which seem to be in fashion now to “win” the argument.

Isn’t it a coronavirus of a zoonotic origin? Makes DVM’s insights more valuable than the guy who used to work in a lab

Actually, a lot of veterinary medicine in some way could teach human medicine a lesson or 2; serious veterinary doctors are always dealing with dangerous zoonotic pandemics- I am not talking about your friendly pet’s vet here.
There are extremely important surveillances in animal husbandry: which occasionally threaten humans.
We have a swine flu, avian flu, Ebola etc., haven’t we?
I have read a few articles from the veterinary doctors who were incredulous that some treatments of humans were “missing” the mark
However, will obey the forum rules: a wrong thread.

To stay on topic personally- it seems not fun anymore to go out dining or to travel- with the current situations and circumstances all over the world, just not fun anymore... for now, hopefully.

Masks, no masks. Distance, no distance, changes in menu options, opening hours, change in interaction with the staff, limitations, regulations, due to pandemic or economy. Not fun.
Miss the art events.
And then there are always “what if’s”?

I have found different ways to enjoy life: we still can spend money to help the economy- on favorite people, on real estate and fun cars, art, education, some big tickets items, a pretty landscaping or a swimming pool, hot tub, etc.
Replace that fridge- and buy a more efficient or chuck that crusty/rusty something and buy yourself a new toy for your new hobby.

Made a conscientious effort to spend more money as we go- if it helps some - hopefully it will help us all.
We should have a new “Uncle Sam” poster with his pointy finger :”I want YOU to stimulate the economy?”

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-25-2021 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-25-2021, 02:26 PM

37,240 posts, read 41,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post

Sorry, not impressed with this “science communicator’s” inflammatory rebuttal - to a doctor - of though a veterinary medicine, with a life long experience in virology. All fluff from Google and no data, but plenty of emotionally charged labels which seem to be in fashion now to “win” the argument.

Isn’t it a coronavirus of a zoonotic origin? Makes DVM’s insights more valuable than the guy who used to work in a lab

Actually, a lot of veterinary medicine in some way could teach human medicine a lesson or 2; serious veterinary doctors are always dealing with dangerous zoonotic pandemics- I am not talking about your friendly pet’s vet here.
There are extremely important surveillances in animal husbandry: which occasionally threaten humans.
We have a swine flu, avian flu, Ebola etc., haven’t we?
I have read a few articles from the veterinary doctors who were incredulous that some treatments of humans were “missing” the mark.
There are others who are criticizing him. The bottom line is he is dangerously wrong, and people with even a basic education in virology are calling him out. .

Old 03-25-2021, 02:45 PM

433 posts, read 535,132 times
^^^^^
For example(s)---
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/cou...9-vaccination/

Old 03-25-2021, 03:03 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,036,751 times
Quote:
They plan to wait for herd immunity, a stance that could temper initial recovery.

And then there are those seniors who are choosing to live their lives, according to an article in today's Wall Street Journal.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:13 PM

13,759 posts, read 8,066,309 times
Quote:
They plan to wait for herd immunity, a stance that could temper initial recovery...
Fine with me. I fully support peoples' right to make their own decisions re: risk management and health.

The problem begins when they try to use the force of the state to limit others' ability to assemble, engage in commerce, or worship; or even, heaven forbid, forcing others to undergo medical procedures such as masking and inoculation.

I will never try to control you, so don't try to control me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness