Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 05:28 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So what's the point of the second shot? I've felt UK has a better policy of vaccination and then waiting 3-4 months before the second dose....this is what my UK friends are doing. I'm scheduled for the second shot but now not sure it's worth the risk given the effectiveness of the first shot.

Thanks for this update.

There are some countries that are just doing the first shot for now. Goal is to get as many as possible one shot. When I got my first shot they told me I need to do #2 exactly 28 days. I don't believe that is true.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:58 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I know that the internet is no place to get medical advice and I plan on calling my doctor on Monday morning (or going to Urgent Care beforehand if it gets worse - but don't want to risk getting Covid by going there if I don't have to).

I was vaccinated (Moderna) 1.5 weeks ago on the 10th. The shot was particularly painful and that night I couldn't sleep as it was bothering me. Now 10 days later, starting yesterday morning, the injection site has become a little red and warm and is also painful. I feel like there's a lump there too. I have read that if injected wrong they can puncture your shoulder sac (I forget the term) and the guy did the injection so high up that I think it's a possibility. I think it was a firefighter, not accustomed to giving shots.

Does anyone know anything about this. Right now the pain, heat and redness is fairly mild but concerning if it suddenly becomes worse.

Thanks in advance.
I had that. It's a known effect of the Moderna vaccination, called COVID ARM. I had it, too. Exactly what you describe.

Big round red area, lumps under the skin, then it got itchy (I used Benadryl itch cream to keep from scratching). It wasn't bad at all, though. It usually appears about a week after injection, then is gone within a week. Mine appeared exactly 7 days later, hit height of symptoms maybe 2 days later, then each day was MUCH better, & gone in a week. It was no big deal to me, once I knew what it was.

I also had something that wasn't, I think, Covid Arm. After the injection, by that night, the muscle running up that side of my neck hurt, and then up into that side of my head. Gone in about 2 days.

I've read that COVID ARM tends to happen with younger people because their immune systems are stronger. A strong response is a GOOD thing, indicating your immune system is good. I'm older, but in excellent health & rarely get colds, so it makes sense that I would've gotten COVID ARM even tho I'm older.

This stuff is STRONG!!!! And that's a very good thing.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:23 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So what's the point of the second shot? I've felt UK has a better policy of vaccination and then waiting 3-4 months before the second dose....this is what my UK friends are doing. I'm scheduled for the second shot but now not sure it's worth the risk given the effectiveness of the first shot.

Thanks for this update.
Depends on the study and the criteria used - Pfizer's initial data says 52%, Israel's data shows more like 80%.

Also will likely need both shots to qualify as vaccinated - that is being talked about for travel. Currently under CDC guidance that means starting again if go past 42 days (6 weeks).

Old 03-22-2021, 02:42 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
This is a link to VAERS , The CDCs Vaccination Adverse Event Reporting System. If you use their system to report your event I think you may get follow up advice from them?

Of course like previous CD posters have said contact your primary care provider.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/

I've reported after the shingles vaccine, they did not follow up with me, my GP or pharmacist who gave me the shot because my throat almost closing is a known side effect

I'm not saying not to report it, just don't expect anyone to reach out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Depends on the study and the criteria used - Pfizer's initial data says 52%, Israel's data shows more like 80%.

Also will likely need both shots to qualify as vaccinated - that is being talked about for travel. Currently under CDC guidance that means starting again if go past 42 days (6 weeks).

I wouldn't risk having to get revaccinated by not getting it when I'm supposed to because at this point, they really do not know.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:35 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Thanks for pointing this out. 1,100+ deaths and thousands injured for covid vaccines so far, and actual numbers are certainly even higher. Remember there is no requirement to get any vaccine and in fact one can lead a healthy productive life without them. Your choice.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:40 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've reported after the shingles vaccine, they did not follow up with me, my GP or pharmacist who gave me the shot because my throat almost closing is a known side effect

I'm not saying not to report it, just don't expect anyone to reach out.

I wouldn't risk having to get revaccinated by not getting it when I'm supposed to because at this point, they really do not know.
Thank you for concern Roselvr,this from danbev ,I will say the trouble I posted lasted only a minute or two.harbly noticeable,the shot made me woozy for the day,my wife and I otherwise have been fine,soreness in arm was only in skin not muscle,gone next day.Today Monday 22 everything o'k.
My 2nd shot is scheduled for April 16,I will watch how I am very closely,I do have appt. with PC Dr. 4/14.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:16 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. 1,100+ deaths and thousands injured for covid vaccines so far, and actual numbers are certainly even higher. Remember there is no requirement to get any vaccine and in fact one can lead a healthy productive life without them. Your choice.

Even if your number were right, which they are not. Find any scientific evidence for your numbers.

542k dead and millions hospitalized from COVID itself.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:43 AM

357 posts, read 444,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
... in fact one can lead a healthy productive life without them. Your choice.
Only because you are free loading off all the others that did get vaccinated.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:51 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I know that the internet is no place to get medical advice and I plan on calling my doctor on Monday morning (or going to Urgent Care beforehand if it gets worse - but don't want to risk getting Covid by going there if I don't have to).

I was vaccinated (Moderna) 1.5 weeks ago on the 10th. The shot was particularly painful and that night I couldn't sleep as it was bothering me. Now 10 days later, starting yesterday morning, the injection site has become a little red and warm and is also painful. I feel like there's a lump there too. I have read that if injected wrong they can puncture your shoulder sac (I forget the term) and the guy did the injection so high up that I think it's a possibility. I think it was a firefighter, not accustomed to giving shots.

Does anyone know anything about this. Right now the pain, heat and redness is fairly mild but concerning if it suddenly becomes worse.

Thanks in advance.
As black-and-white as science asserts itself, it quickly breaks down at the provider level. This is where we get the "see 4 different providers, get 4 different opinions" saying. 3 of them must be wrong, right? But reviews may show all of them as "reputable".

My mother's PCP (M.D., family medicine) stated he won't be getting the vaccine, and advised her there was no need for her to get it (59, BMI in "normal" range, only prescription medicine is Sumatriptan for headaches, otherwise excellent health per both an extensive blood panel and medical history).

Not all providers are on board with the urgency of vaccinating the general public, or all of their patients, as quickly as possible.

The CDC reports double-digit percentages for fever, fatigue, headache, chills, and muscle pain for at least one dose of some of the manufacturer's vaccines.

The CDC also acknowledges side effects are normal - and frequent enough to warrant a dedicated page for possible symptoms..

Old 03-22-2021, 01:41 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I..

I've read that COVID ARM tends to happen with younger people because their immune systems are stronger. A strong response is a GOOD thing, indicating your immune system is good. I'm older, but in excellent health & rarely get colds, so it makes sense that I would've gotten COVID ARM even tho I'm older...
My impression is that a more immediate systemic immune response, such as fever, fatigue, chills, etc. is a better indicator of a robust immune system than a delayed, local injection site response is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.