Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 11:53 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So what's the point of the second shot? I've felt UK has a better policy of vaccination and then waiting 3-4 months before the second dose....this is what my UK friends are doing. I'm scheduled for the second shot but now not sure it's worth the risk given the effectiveness of the first shot.

Thanks for this update.
I think the US wanted to follow the exact protocols that the trials did. But it does seem like the UK policy will probably be better in the end as far as getting more people immune more quickly. Of course, you don't want to take guesses with vaccinations of millions of people either, so I can see why the US made the decision they did.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:55 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I know that the internet is no place to get medical advice and I plan on calling my doctor on Monday morning (or going to Urgent Care beforehand if it gets worse - but don't want to risk getting Covid by going there if I don't have to).

I was vaccinated (Moderna) 1.5 weeks ago on the 10th. The shot was particularly painful and that night I couldn't sleep as it was bothering me. Now 10 days later, starting yesterday morning, the injection site has become a little red and warm and is also painful. I feel like there's a lump there too. I have read that if injected wrong they can puncture your shoulder sac (I forget the term) and the guy did the injection so high up that I think it's a possibility. I think it was a firefighter, not accustomed to giving shots.

Does anyone know anything about this. Right now the pain, heat and redness is fairly mild but concerning if it suddenly becomes worse.

Thanks in advance.
There is already this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...cine-side.html

Old 03-21-2021, 11:55 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
My 19-year old daughter called me the other night to tell me that her arm had a rash at the (Moderna) vaccine site. This was 10 days after she got the vaccine. I looked it up on Dr. Google, and it seems like it's not too uncommon with the Moderna vaccine but harmless. A couple of days later, and she said the rash was much better.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:00 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,091 times
Quote:

It's not bad, just weird and he injected me at the VERY top of my arm.
Its not supposed to go there but an inch or two below the bony protrusion that makes up the shoulder joint. I am a pharmacist and have been giving shots for over ten years. It sounds like you may have bursitis. That can happen if the shot is given too high.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
My arm was sore for 2-3 days. My lymph nodes are enlarged on my neck on the side that I got the vaccination and I have been feeling tired. This started about a week after and I got my vaccination about 3 weeks ago.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:33 PM

532 posts, read 445,992 times
This is a link to VAERS , The CDCs Vaccination Adverse Event Reporting System. If you use their system to report your event I think you may get follow up advice from them?

Of course like previous CD posters have said contact your primary care provider.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/

Old 03-21-2021, 02:20 PM

439 posts, read 425,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think the US wanted to follow the exact protocols that the trials did. But it does seem like the UK policy will probably be better in the end as far as getting more people immune more quickly. Of course, you don't want to take guesses with vaccinations of millions of people either, so I can see why the US made the decision they did.
We have been closely following news about this. Many articles are now saying you can get your second dose at 8-12 weeks. CDC is still recommending 4. I’m curious to see when we will need boosters since both Moderna and Pfizer sounds like they are entering the final phases of their clinical trials. In the future perhaps the recommendation will be one shot and a booster for variants. We’ll see.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:31 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Not really, but after being weird yesterday, and most of today, it's a little less hot and red tonight. It just seemed so weird to me to start this again 9 days out (it hurt really badly the first night and next couple of days and then was fine until yesterday - day 9)!
Moderna, and i had the same reaction 10 days later. I took an IBu and it got ok. I think the shot goes into the muscle that is why way up.
Not looking forward thbsecond one but i will take it regardless.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:22 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The U.S. is doing very well now at vaccinations, compared to most nations.
The tiny nation of Israel is #1.

Tracking Coronavirus Vaccinations Around the World:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-tracker.html

Old 03-21-2021, 05:20 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,711 times
Quote:
I'll preface this by saying that I know that the internet is no place to get medical advice and I plan on calling my doctor on Monday morning (or going to Urgent Care beforehand if it gets worse - but don't want to risk getting Covid by going there if I don't have to).

I was vaccinated (Moderna) 1.5 weeks ago on the 10th. The shot was particularly painful and that night I couldn't sleep as it was bothering me. Now 10 days later, starting yesterday morning, the injection site has become a little red and warm and is also painful. I feel like there's a lump there too. I have read that if injected wrong they can puncture your shoulder sac (I forget the term) and the guy did the injection so high up that I think it's a possibility. I think it was a firefighter, not accustomed to giving shots.

Does anyone know anything about this. Right now the pain, heat and redness is fairly mild but concerning if it suddenly becomes worse.

Thanks in advance.

The high injection you mentioned is actually called SIRVA. It is when a vaccine (any type, flu etc) is injected too high on the arm. There have been lawsuits concerning this. I haven't received the vaccine yet but you better believe I am going to watch carefully where they are injecting it. I already have shoulder pain from problems with the rotator cuff and I sure don't want to add to that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6347325/

Also, another thing to watch for is that the person doing the injection is not suppose to pinch the skin together pulling the skin away from the arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness