Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 11:21 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,248,168 times

Advertisements

Funny thing, my mom whose 90 didn't even feel her shot or have any reaction!

Old 03-21-2021, 05:44 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,378,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Funny thing, my mom whose 90 didn't even feel her shot or have any reaction!
While that can seem good, it also can be not so good, in that maybe her body didn't have an immune response and produce the antibodies?

It's well known that as you get older, your immune system tends to get weaker and weaker for most people, that's why they have an "extra strength" flu shot (High-Dose Quadrivalent) each year for those 65-years-old and up.

Hopefully the vaccine worked for your mom!

Old 03-21-2021, 06:18 AM

51,670 posts, read 25,927,081 times
Moderna here. Slight delayed reaction, but nothing like described here.

What did happen was that the day after the second shot, I slept around the clock and slept most of the following day as well.

It was heavenly.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:41 AM

15,017 posts, read 12,225,175 times
Quote:
That's good to know that I'm not the only one. It's 10 days later and it did really hurt for about 3 days when I got it. The heat was concerning but it has cooled off a bit tonight. I also think it went right into my shoulder joint...the guy doing it was definitely not accustomed to giving shots!
The "sac" at the top of your arm you mentioned- in the shoulder joint, might that be the bursa?

Doesn't sound like an optimal place for a vaccine to go ( in my amateur opinion), hope you can get that resolved. Is it getting better?

Old 03-21-2021, 07:10 AM

30,632 posts, read 19,338,964 times
Quote:
I'll preface this by saying that I know that the internet is no place to get medical advice and I plan on calling my doctor on Monday morning (or going to Urgent Care beforehand if it gets worse - but don't want to risk getting Covid by going there if I don't have to).

I was vaccinated (Moderna) 1.5 weeks ago on the 10th. The shot was particularly painful and that night I couldn't sleep as it was bothering me. Now 10 days later, starting yesterday morning, the injection site has become a little red and warm and is also painful. I feel like there's a lump there too. I have read that if injected wrong they can puncture your shoulder sac (I forget the term) and the guy did the injection so high up that I think it's a possibility. I think it was a firefighter, not accustomed to giving shots.

Does anyone know anything about this. Right now the pain, heat and redness is fairly mild but concerning if it suddenly becomes worse.

Thanks in advance.
Firstly, I would go see a Dr. to have it checked out.

I've read that younger people tend to have a stronger reaction to the shot because their immune system is stronger so maybe your immune system is strong. I've also read that the 1st Moderna shot has 80% efficacy so maybe skip the second shot after doing your own research (I wouldn't if I got your reaction on the first one).

I've had the Moderna 1st jab and felt light fluish for 2 days or so.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:16 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,687,162 times
Quote:
Not really, but after being weird yesterday, and most of today, it's a little less hot and red tonight. It just seemed so weird to me to start this again 9 days out (it hurt really badly the first night and next couple of days and then was fine until yesterday - day 9)!

Sounds like you won't need your appointment. Have you taken a pic of it? If not, you should at least to document it in case you do have a permanent vaccine injury. You can't sue any time soon because they're immune from lawsuits, but in coming years you probably can. You see all sorts of lawsuit commercials on TV. Make sure your GP documents it too. Maybe even write yourself an email draft with the picture and everything you said here, provide dates when you posted and when it stopped bothering you so much. Title it Moderna vaccine reaction so that when you search later in drafts, you'll easily find it.

With your mom, possible the vaccine does nothing due to her age and immune system. Make sure she is careful and does not get a false sense of security because she had the vaccine. I'm reading it's possibly worthless to people over 80. My son's grandmother is 84, I haven't emailed her to find out which one and if she had a reaction or not. She can't wait to go back to church.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:17 AM

30,271 posts, read 11,905,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Firstly, I would go see a Dr. to have it checked out.

I've read that younger people tend to have a stronger reaction to the shot because their immune system is stronger so maybe your immune system is strong. I've also read that the 1st Moderna shot has 80% efficacy so maybe skip the second shot after doing your own research (I wouldn't if I got your reaction on the first one).

I've had the Moderna 1st jab and felt light fluish for 2 days or so.
The latest study to come out this past week puts Modera at 92% two weeks after the first shot:

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-modern...193917869.html

It builds up slowly so some of the earlier studies were done too soon after the first shot. I felt tired and a little out of it after my first Moderna shot for about 2 days. My arm was a little sore for about a week.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:32 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,950,551 times
We got our Moderma shots Fri. 3/19,while sitting waiting the 15 minutes I could start to feel effects,first tongue and roof of mouth and when released woozy for a day,nothing at this point to worry about for wife and I.We are in our 80's.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:37 AM

10,630 posts, read 7,842,942 times
Quote:
Good to know, this is the kind of thing I wanted to hear.

Neither my doc nor the clinic seemed to know much about this.
Here is an article about it.
https://www.dermatologytimes.com/vie...fter-injection

Old 03-21-2021, 11:28 AM

30,632 posts, read 19,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The latest study to come out this past week puts Modera at 92% two weeks after the first shot:

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-modern...193917869.html

It builds up slowly so some of the earlier studies were done too soon after the first shot. I felt tired and a little out of it after my first Moderna shot for about 2 days. My arm was a little sore for about a week.

So what's the point of the second shot? I've felt UK has a better policy of vaccination and then waiting 3-4 months before the second dose....this is what my UK friends are doing. I'm scheduled for the second shot but now not sure it's worth the risk given the effectiveness of the first shot.

Thanks for this update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness