Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 09:52 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I will never be accepting of marijuana usage, or any other illegal drug usage. I've been in the criminal justice field for 30 years now in 2021... So, maybe I am biased. But, I want nothing to do with it, and I want nothing to do with anyone who uses the substances personally.

And yes - there are consequences to the use of marijuana, despite what the geniuses who want to use the stuff continue to say...
Canada legalized marijuana use almost 2 years ago.

There have been no significant impacts one way or the other, other than police can now put more resources towards more real problems that exist. The facts do not comport with your perspectives. I don't care if my neighbor indulges with marijuana or not (I don't think they do), as as long as it is recreational and they are not driving, who cares? How does that effect anyone else? It doesn't.

Consider that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 10:09 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Interestingly enough, early settlers grew hemp, and I have read that J. Edgar Hoover could see it growing wild along the banks of the Potomac River from his office windows.

Poor folks in Appalachia, who could not afford to waste money on alcohol to relax, also grew hemp to serve that purpose, as well as for medicinal remedies.

Although I have always been told that Coca is the drug of choice in South America, chewing the leaves helping people be able to work and live in high elevations, a Marijuana association was made with Mexican migrant workers coming seasonally across the border to work and bringing marijuana with them.

It makes sense if you look at the fact that migrant workers are typically poor, and like the people of Appalachia, they would be looking for a substance that would not hinder their ability to work (have you ever heard of a marijuana hangover?), nor waste what few dollars they were earning.

Notwithstanding the fact that poor & 'intellectual' whites also used marijuana, somewhere around 1925 racism entered the picture and marijuana became associated with black & brown people in the minds of the public. In 1930 the Federal Bureau of Narcotics was created. In 1937, J Edgar Hoover further villainized marijuana by writing an article about sex fiends and marijuana -

'By J. Edgar Hoover (Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations) "The Indianapolis Sunday Star-This Week Magazine Section" - "War On The Sex Criminal," Sep. 26, 1937'

Im sure we all know that sex crimes were not eliminated and probably did not decrease any once marijuana became classified a Schedule I drug along with heroin and cocaine.

It would seem that in a time where we are looking to evolve into one race - human - and correct past injustices, we could put marijuana in its proper perspective finally - on a Federal Level.

As an aside, it just became obvious to me that this was the birthplace of Big Pharma. The wealthy could still get their opiates and cocaine preparations via a doctor's prescription.
Back when I still used to smoke I would have a couple of puffs right before I did any yard work. I didn't need it but it made the task a little more enjoyable, and I tell you, my lawn never looked so good!

The racism angle is an interesting one though. Maybe social justice zealotry can be used for something positive for a change instead of just being used to destroy the careers of people who say unpopular things.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:10 AM

19,053 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Why?
Because there were three largest trades in the world.
1. carbohydrates. Oil, gas, etc
2. weapons
3. narcotics
As of lately, narcotics is becoming #2 heavy hitter.
This is why anything narcotics is glamorized. Financial networks have heavy investments into that and, promoting narcotics brings more profit.
Qui bono.
who stands, or stood, to gain (from a crime, and so might have been responsible for it)?

Old 02-14-2021, 10:34 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post

For example, one of the heavy users I know is a woman that smokes probably 7+ times per day (call it $40/day). Almost anyone would meet her and think she’s a well adjusted/pleasant person. She works full time and doesn’t look like a bum. But those that don’t know her wouldn’t know that she has zero savings, zero retirement, frequently needs to borrow money to pay bills, house is a nasty mess, relationship problems, only spends time with other heavy smokers, etc. She even thinks of herself as a well adjusted person! From an outsider’s perspective it’s like — WAKE UP life is passing you by.
$40 a day smoking pot? I don't think so......for $40 you can buy an eighth of an ounce of good pot in Massachusetts. Even heavy smokers aren't smoking an eighth a day. The woman you know has much bigger problems than smoking pot.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
$40 a day smoking pot? I don't think so......for $40 you can buy an eighth of an ounce of good pot in Massachusetts. Even heavy smokers aren't smoking an eighth a day. The woman you know has much bigger problems than smoking pot.
If you need 2 big puffs a day, you need to evaluate your health why you need it the 1st place. A chemical cannot fix health problem it only delays or creates a dependency.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:33 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That in and of itself can be a sort of drug. Although, it can probably be said that no one ever had a vehicular accident because they were overly religious!
Everything in moderation!

Mama put brother on a prayer list
When he got caught smoking that pot
Daddy found out, first thing he could grab
And he whipped with a Zebco rod
When we messed up she'd fill us up
With the scripture and a Baptist hymn
And she'd pray we'd be a little more like her
And a whole lot less like him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NT4uKYjmj4

Old 02-14-2021, 11:36 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you need 2 big puffs a day, you need to evaluate your health why you need it the 1st place. A chemical cannot fix health problem it only delays or creates a dependency.
meh....I see nothing wrong with someone taking a couple puffs in the evening if you're staying at home going to bed in an hour or two, helps you sleep.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
meh....I see nothing wrong with someone taking a couple puffs in the evening if you're staying at home going to bed in an hour or two, helps you sleep.
You're ignoring what I wrote, but why do you need the puffs? I sleep perfectly fine every day. When people like you says you need 1-2 to help sleep, that creates a dependency. People do that with sleeping pills.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:17 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
The well adjusted, motivated, emotionally balanced, financially secure, physically fit, heavy pot smoker seems to be a very rare thing.
I'm not sure I know a lot of people who are all those things without pot, either.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
Those who lost their appetite after cancer treatment were advised to take Marijuana to eat more and gain weight>
I know a woman who used marijuana in her younger days,she reached menopause in her late 30s,she ceased marijuana and smokes cigarettes and drink lots of black coffee each day,now she has eye problem,either cataract or glaucoma and she refused to get treatment for either.
She cant have a room mate as no one can put up with all that smoke,she has been living in the same house for 40 plus years and no visitor likes to stay in her house for too long.
We can all be addicted to something-binge eating ,drinking one litre of coke ,gambling,couch potato,shop till you drop dead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness