Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 10:18 PM

35,244 posts, read 31,593,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm in a similar position and I'm 41. I work for my town's police dept, but I'm not technically a 'first responder'. I was given the opportunity to get the vaccine though, so I'm going to get it tomorrow.
The bottom line is that the more people who are vaccinated, the better.

I see a lot of splitting hairs in the news about making it "equitable." I have a 65 year old uncle who is an anti-vaxxer. He has likely come down with COVID - he called me around noon saying he thinks he has "the flu," and was obviously sucking wind and struggling to breathe. Flu activity is "very low" in this area. He never wears a mask. He goes to see his 85 year old parents maskless. Other than my father, all my close family have now had COVID - mom, close grandmother, aunt, this uncle. My paternal grandparents are still alive, and I don't think they've had it, but we aren't close.

If a site doesn't have enough sign-ups in whatever category they are supposed to be at, and doses are at risk of spoilage, open it up. I'd rather have the sign-ups opened up to more folks than having doses going to waste because 40% of the over 75/70/65, whatever, are anti-vaxx and won't show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 10:31 PM

17,760 posts, read 13,560,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have read the same thing. Of course there is a chance it could mutate itself into extinction.
I hope it mutates into extinction

Old 01-24-2021, 10:38 PM

37,296 posts, read 41,544,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post

By comparison, there are far more fatal illnesses from other diseases in the US. "Cardiovascular disease continues to be the leading cause of death in the US. About 1,400,000 people die from cardiovascular disease annually."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gim/...ntent/cvd.html.
From your link:

"The American Heart Association estimates that 2,600 Americans die of cardiovascular disease every day."

Deaths from COVID-19 in the US are currently at a seven day average of over 3,000.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:11 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,093,971 times
Most states are doing a terrible job with their sign up process. This looks like it'll continue for a while to come. The various players just don't seem able to get their act together...a reflection of the fragmented health care system in the US.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:27 AM

50,512 posts, read 64,433,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Most states are doing a terrible job with their sign up process. This looks like it'll continue for a while to come. The various players just don't seem able to get their act together...a reflection of the fragmented health care system in the US.
We got our vaccinations this weekend, because the large medical group our doctors belong to had the ability to obtain the vaccine, and the online technology in place to reach their patients and schedule appointments by text message. The whole process yesterday took 6 minutes, plus a 15 minute wait time after the shot.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:33 AM

30,379 posts, read 11,990,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I hope it mutates into extinction

The 1918 pandemic did just that. For whatever reason experts seem to think that is not happening this time.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
How did you get vaccinated already if you are a healthy person in your 30s? A friend of mine in a wealthy tourist town in Colorado got vaccinated too, and he's only 70. Meanwhile my 90 year old aunt in assisted living still hasn't been vaccinated.

And she was just rushed to the hospital with covid.

Sorry to hear about your aunt. I don't get how a 90 yo in assisted living was not one of the first to get the vaccine. I have heard that anyone over 65 can go to Florida can get the vaccine. You don't have to live in Florida. And they don't ask for ID so you I guess you just have to look like you could be 65. Not really a fair rollout.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:00 AM

50,512 posts, read 64,433,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Sorry to hear about your aunt. I don't get how a 90 yo in assisted living was not one of the first to get the vaccine. I have heard that anyone over 65 can go to Florida can get the vaccine. You don't have to live in Florida. And they don't ask for ID so you I guess you just have to look like you could be 65. Not really a fair rollout.
But yet, our friends in Sarasota have not been able to get scheduled yet.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
But yet, our friends in Sarasota have not been able to get scheduled yet.

Its a mess. If this was regarding how fast one gets their $600 stimulus check it would be one thing but people will die because of the disorganized vaccine rollout. I caught covid a month ago. I pulled through ok after some scary days and a trip to the ER but it all could have been avoided if the vaccine was available a month ago to me. And from what I have read the vaccine was ready in January of last year. It took 2 days to create. Less red tape got it approved quickly compared to the past but streamlined it could have been available this past summer.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:22 AM

18,951 posts, read 43,830,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The bottom line is that the more people who are vaccinated, the better.

I see a lot of splitting hairs in the news about making it "equitable." I have a 65 year old uncle who is an anti-vaxxer. He has likely come down with COVID - he called me around noon saying he thinks he has "the flu," and was obviously sucking wind and struggling to breathe. Flu activity is "very low" in this area. He never wears a mask. He goes to see his 85 year old parents maskless. Other than my father, all my close family have now had COVID - mom, close grandmother, aunt, this uncle. My paternal grandparents are still alive, and I don't think they've had it, but we aren't close.

If a site doesn't have enough sign-ups in whatever category they are supposed to be at, and doses are at risk of spoilage, open it up. I'd rather have the sign-ups opened up to more folks than having doses going to waste because 40% of the over 75/70/65, whatever, are anti-vaxx and won't show up.
Yep, the majority of our officers and firefighters declined it. Oh well, move on and offer it to others who do want it. There's no time to be begging people to take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness