Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 05:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
What do you mean “taking it seriously”? It doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously. I take anything as seriously as the data tells me to take it. A virus that’s 0.01% fatal in people under 45, and I know my health is better than 99% of people in that age group, isn’t something to be taken seriously. If you’re 75, sure, take it seriously. But you’re acting like it’s rational for a young person to take Alzheimer’s seriously for them. Why?! It’s not something that affects anyone who is young. It’s something they can safely ignore as background noise, or at best maybe think, “Hmm, here are ways to reduce my risk going forward so I don’t get that in 40-50 years.” Same with Coronavirus - I take all viruses seriously enough to eat right, exercise hard, and take Vitamin D. That’s taking my health seriously. But no, you shouldn’t take a joke of a virus seriously. Just because they’re insistent on counting every elderly death as Coronavirus doesn’t make it a threat to middle aged and young healthy people. Your threat level varies and thus how seriously you should take anything varies.

I’m not too worried about dying in a car crash. Why? Because I work from home, my car has 14,000 miles over 8 years, and when I do drive anywhere it rarely requires a freeway. So while I’m certainly wearing a seatbelt and being cautious, I’m not “taking it seriously” that it’s a big threat to me, yet it remains a larger threat than Coronasniffles which I already got, it wasn’t a big deal whatsoever, and I recovered from almost immediately.

If people actually took the pandemic seriously, it wouldn’t be pseudoscience ineffective safety theater like masks - which do nothing - it would be avoiding crowded places to begin with not relying on a false sense of security. It would be all of these fat, out of shape, disgusting Americans putting down the cheeseburgers and fries and picking up some weights. That would be taking the pandemic seriously! There’s a reason the CASE fatality rate in Singapore is just 0.05%, because the virus isn’t a threat to people who are healthy of any age. That’s why a 116-year-old just survived it. But since Americans don’t care about their health at all, they suffer the consequences and worry over a virus that does nothing more than kill the very weak and very old.
Your post doesn't deserve a response, it is so ridiculous. First, your statistics seem low and what is the point of only looking at people under 45? You state "a virus that’s 0.01% fatal in people under 45." Is that .01% of all people? My county is listing a 3.1% death rate for all people. I guess you and my county are using different math.

I know two people who have died from this virus. One was 50 and the other was 60. Both were healthy with no other medical conditions. My brother was very sick and is still recovering. He is no under the care of a cardiologist. I know other people in their 40s through 60s who have been really sick.

The rest of your post is completely ridiculous. Your comments about "counting every elderly death as Coronavirus," is totally wrong. No doctor would sign a death certificate with the wrong cause of death. I know this because my son works in the ICU and signs these death certificates.

My question to you is what is your point? A half million people are dead and more will die. Many thousands will have permanent health issues as a result of this virus. Other countries have done much better at stopping this pandemic. The USA has not because of people like you who think everything is a conspiracy and don't won't to take simple precautions. Please don't bother responding. You don't have anything intelligent to contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I wear a bandana over my KN95 because I like the bandito look.
I'm sure it looks dashing on you!

Old 02-22-2021, 09:52 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Israel reporting effectiveness of Pfizer/nBiotech vaccine at 99% for reducing hospitalizations and deaths

link

Old 02-22-2021, 05:02 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Nobody mentioned wearing a mask permanently. The problem is too many people have not taken the virus seriously, and the result is this pandemic continues to drag out and kill hundreds of thousands of people in this country.
Hm, not sure that's totally true. Germany, for example, was a model country a few months ago, had it under control, and then suddenly another wave hit and they're having a lot of problems.

Same with South Korea.

Within the U.S., you have states like Florida and N. Dakota that opened up sooner and eliminated the lockdowns, and other states like New York and California that have been super strict to the point of literally arresting restaurant and bar owners. But the virus has been roughly the same. In fact NY and Cali lead the nation in deaths. So what was the point?

Bottom line: this is a super contagious virus, we have very little resistance to it because, the health authorities keep telling us, it's "novel". About 0.4% of the population will get it almost regardless how cautious they are. Some .06% might get very sick and those who are immune compromised or have lung problems may unfortunately die without strong intervention.

Luckily there are some powerful medications now that beat it back. The Israelis are demonstrating some kind of antibody treatment that turns off the cytokine attack completely - tested on 30 people in critical condition and they all recovered and went home in 2-3 days. Amazing!

The vaccine has brought the hospital visits down by 80-90% in places where everyone's getting it (again - Israel, where half the pop. has gotten the shots).

It's nearly over. "Forever" is a long time. I think "September 2021" is more like it! Cheers

Old 02-26-2021, 12:41 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
This school district is way ahead of the curve- the new "normal" for being in a band at school:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coro...249542408.html

Have not laughed so hard in quite awhile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness