Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 04:18 PM

17,588 posts, read 13,367,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Yeah, its rather depressing to think we're stuck with this permanently from one degree to another. I will start getting out again once I have the vaccine, but I realize its not foolproof. Still, if its remotely like the flu shot I think I can live with it. Even without all the precautions we take now having got the flu vaccine since 1993 I've only had it once since then (2015) ... and its only 60% to 70% effective. With 90-95% vaccine effectiveness for COVID plus masks, hand washing/sanitizer and social distancing I'm hoping I never catch it.

Fauci seems to think if we have 80-85% vaccination rates we should be able to return to a degree of normalcy by summer, but masks and social distancing will never go away. As much as I hate the term its the "new normal" for those things plus yearly vaccinations. Will be a rocky four or five years as people learn to adapt and good herd immunity takes hold.

I'm must say right now though I'm about to go out of my gourd sitting around this house. I live alone now and my mother who I was caregiver for declined and past away by the beginning of summer (natural causes - old age). Toss in COVID-19 lockdowns and staying at home its added a whole new level to an already hard situation. I'm pretty tough but its wearing on me. Hopefully by summer things will be better.

We got my 97 YO Mother-in-law vaccinated yesterday. MrsM gets her shot this week and I get mine the following week (unless I can find a better slot tomorrow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 04:19 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've had Covid and it seemed to come in waves.

People need to take it seriously but so many are nonchalant about the whole thing. I do understand its been just about a year now of this Pandemic in this country, and it has really taken a toll on people. I know it has on me. People just want some kind of normalcy and who can blame them. Personally I think the entire Pandemic could have been handled much better in this country than it has been.

that's right its not just going to go away and will be around for sometime to come. What an awful thought but that's the reality of this Virus.
Well, sorry that happened to you. I try not to wish ill on anyone, no pun intended.

I too live alone and, in my case, have very little use for others so maintain all sorts of social distance. So what: I also have a morning coffee from So-and-So's coffee shop (disease vector), go to the Safeway for groceries roughly every ten days (ditto), take walks (less of a vector, "they think") and live my life outside sometimes such as today on a vigorous hike by myself in the mountains. I have guests over to my home on occasion...rare, but I'd say once/month (= vector). Being indoors with others appears to be gravely more dangerous.

In my home: my personal trainer had it, and shrugged it off in a week to ten days in December. He says he "has antibodies" now, and his reference is my ND so it's real. Does that mean I'm in the clear? Is he? Hell if I'd know. Guessing he's about 30. He has other clients: do they have it? = disease vector.

I could catch it tomorrow, or never. I got nothing. I'm living my life and wearing masks w/o fail. So what. We'll just have to see what happens. I minimize my risk, but per the quoted, what difference does that make? Odds of me being in a crowd: 0.0% Random chance infection: beats me!

I have no issue with keeping those protocols in place for years to come, but I'm an introvert and love working at home. With no use for most people, it is irrelevant to me. It is highly relevant to our economy, and to many people's mental well being, that they get out again and restart the engine of normal commerce and social intercourse.

But here we are.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've had Covid and it seemed to come in waves. I'm not even sure if I got over it and then got it again. I was sick in Oct and then in Dec which was much worse. I would test Negative and then I tested Positive for the antibodies. I'm much better now but I still have lingering effects from it. Hard to breathe at times and a little congestion and cough. I did everything imaginable so I would not get this virus and I did. I never left the house and went into a public place without a mask on. I live alone and had no contact with people, other than the Grocery store and a large gym I go to. Yet I got it. We don't know enough about this disease to know all the particulars on how someone gets it. It could come thru the ventilation systems of buildings for all we know. Legionaires Disease did.

People need to take it seriously but so many are nonchalant about the whole thing. I do understand its been just about a year now of this Pandemic in this country, and it has really taken a toll on people. I know it has on me. People just want some kind of normalcy and who can blame them. Personally I think the entire Pandemic could have been handled much better in this country than it has been.

that's right its not just going to go away and will be around for sometime to come. What an awful thought but that's the reality of this Virus.
The Chinese said in the very beginning that it could travel through HVAC systems.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:13 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,210,311 times
2 words "flu shot" or the sars cov2 version of it.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:32 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Yeah, its rather depressing to think we're stuck with this permanently from one degree to another. I will start getting out again once I have the vaccine, but I realize its not foolproof. Still, if its remotely like the flu shot I think I can live with it. Even without all the precautions we take now having got the flu vaccine since 1993 I've only had it once since then (2015) ... and its only 60% to 70% effective. With 90-95% vaccine effectiveness for COVID plus masks, hand washing/sanitizer and social distancing I'm hoping I never catch it.

Fauci seems to think if we have 80-85% vaccination rates we should be able to return to a degree of normalcy by summer, but masks and social distancing will never go away. As much as I hate the term its the "new normal" for those things plus yearly vaccinations. Will be a rocky four or five years as people learn to adapt and good herd immunity takes hold.

I'm must say right now though I'm about to go out of my gourd sitting around this house. I live alone now and my mother who I was caregiver for declined and past away by the beginning of summer (natural causes - old age). Toss in COVID-19 lockdowns and staying at home its added a whole new level to an already hard situation. I'm pretty tough but its wearing on me. Hopefully by summer things will be better.
I know what you mean it definitely wears on a person. Yes hopefully by summer things will be better. I sure as hell hope when summer comes, we are not saying maybe by the spring things will be better. I know I have never seen a time in life that feels so empty and hopeless as this past year has been. I bought a house last Feb just as things were getting ready to shut down. I feel like I have been locked in this house for a year, and the joy of it has never been felt. It feels like a prison to me at times. Stay Safe

Old 01-24-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you can go earliest in the day, it would be best. They disinfect at night and there's less buildup of particles in the air.

You can control the times you go and how long you're there. Plan what you're going to buy. Don't go on weekends and dinner times when checkout lines back up. You want to avoid standing in one place for long where others are prone to doing so.
I always go early about 7am to the Walmart near me. That's really the only store I go to. Stay Safe

Old 01-24-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The Chinese said in the very beginning that it could travel through HVAC systems.
That's my view that it could travel through the HVAC systems. Stay Safe

Old 01-24-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Well, sorry that happened to you. I try not to wish ill on anyone, no pun intended.

I too live alone and, in my case, have very little use for others so maintain all sorts of social distance. So what: I also have a morning coffee from So-and-So's coffee shop (disease vector), go to the Safeway for groceries roughly every ten days (ditto), take walks (less of a vector, "they think") and live my life outside sometimes such as today on a vigorous hike by myself in the mountains. I have guests over to my home on occasion...rare, but I'd say once/month (= vector). Being indoors with others appears to be gravely more dangerous.

In my home: my personal trainer had it, and shrugged it off in a week to ten days in December. He says he "has antibodies" now, and his reference is my ND so it's real. Does that mean I'm in the clear? Is he? Hell if I'd know. Guessing he's about 30. He has other clients: do they have it? = disease vector.

I could catch it tomorrow, or never. I got nothing. I'm living my life and wearing masks w/o fail. So what. We'll just have to see what happens. I minimize my risk, but per the quoted, what difference does that make? Odds of me being in a crowd: 0.0% Random chance infection: beats me!

I have no issue with keeping those protocols in place for years to come, but I'm an introvert and love working at home. With no use for most people, it is irrelevant to me. It is highly relevant to our economy, and to many people's mental well being, that they get out again and restart the engine of normal commerce and social intercourse.

But here we are.
Stay Safe. All I know is I never want the damn virus again. It amazes me how some get a serious case of it and another gets minimal to no symptoms. I hope you will not get it. Get the vaccine when you can.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:46 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...-live-with-it/

Fascinating article on just what we are up against in the long run

I have read the same thing. Of course there is a chance it could mutate itself into extinction.

This pandemic is a world altering event. Our way of life will probably never be the same as it was pre-covid 19.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:54 PM

760 posts, read 769,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
So you still went to a 'large gym' during the pandemic.

Wouldn't you guess that the large gym is where you contracted Covid?

Why would someone continue to go to a large gym during a deadly pandemic?

Even if the gym were re-opened after a certain closed period during the pandemic.

Why do you say you don't know how one catches Covid?

Ugh yeah! all those sweaty hands and bodies on the equipment and your safety depending on how well a barely motivated minimum wage kid does the job of sanitizing EVERY surface!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness