Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 09:21 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live alone and had no contact with people, other than the Grocery store and a large gym I go to. Yet I got it.
If you can go earliest in the day, it would be best. They disinfect at night and there's less buildup of particles in the air.

You can control the times you go and how long you're there. Plan what you're going to buy. Don't go on weekends and dinner times when checkout lines back up. You want to avoid standing in one place for long where others are prone to doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 09:53 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,209,296 times
Thank you for posting this article!

Old 01-24-2021, 09:54 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,715,754 times
I'm not about to crawl into a cave and hide for the next 4 or 5 years out of fear of Covid. That's just one more thing to add to the list of things that can kill you. So far, we've had about 425,000 deaths attributed to Covid in the US in the past year and that was largely with no vaccinations (until just a few weeks ago) and very little in the way of treatment (although the treatments seems to be improving).

At least with the Covid vaccine and the limited immunity from many people having already caught the virus so far, the next year or two should see a reduction in the number of deaths and serious illnesses from Covid.

By comparison, there are far more fatal illnesses from other diseases in the US. "Cardiovascular disease continues to be the leading cause of death in the US. About 1,400,000 people die from cardiovascular disease annually."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gim/...ntent/cvd.html

So it pays to be prudent and try to keep yourself in good health, but I'm not going to stop living and hide in a cave just because there's yet another thing that can kill me. I'll just add it to the list of things to worry about when I get around to it. Meanwhile, the golf course is calling me today. See ya.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:03 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Pretty obvious it was the large gym or grocery store.
Pretty much! I'm not sure why people think the grocery store is safe, but so many of them believe it.

This denial, it's so commonplace these days. "I just don't know how I got it."

Not on C-D, but I had a lady tell me her son-in-law contracted Covid and "he has no idea where he got it." Really? It just came out of nowhere? I thought he probably had a good idea where but he didn't want to tell his MIL he'd been chatting up another woman.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:28 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
I take these "It's gonna be with us forever" articles with a splash of skepticism.

Yesterday, I read an article from last April where an epidemiologist said in no uncertain terms it would take 18 months to develop and manufacture a COVID-19 vaccine. He staked his reputation on it. And he was dead wrong.

Keep in mind that sometimes people have the best intentions but are simply mistaken. And sometimes they just want to get some publicity. Doomsday scenarios are good for that.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:02 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I am ordering my groceries and picking them up so as to avoid stores.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:57 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I'm not about to crawl into a cave and hide for the next 4 or 5 years out of fear of Covid. That's just one more thing to add to the list of things that can kill you. So far, we've had about 425,000 deaths attributed to Covid in the US in the past year and that was largely with no vaccinations (until just a few weeks ago) and very little in the way of treatment (although the treatments seems to be improving).

At least with the Covid vaccine and the limited immunity from many people having already caught the virus so far, the next year or two should see a reduction in the number of deaths and serious illnesses from Covid.

By comparison, there are far more fatal illnesses from other diseases in the US. "Cardiovascular disease continues to be the leading cause of death in the US. About 1,400,000 people die from cardiovascular disease annually."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gim/...ntent/cvd.html

So it pays to be prudent and try to keep yourself in good health, but I'm not going to stop living and hide in a cave just because there's yet another thing that can kill me. I'll just add it to the list of things to worry about when I get around to it. Meanwhile, the golf course is calling me today. See ya.
Cardiovascular disease isn't contagious.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:08 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Cardiovascular disease isn't contagious.
No one claimed that cardiovascular disease WAS contagious. The point is that there are MANY things that can kill a person, yet you seldom hear anyone express concern about dying from cardiovascular disease even though statistically that's a greater threat to life and health than Covid.

If people were REALLY concerned about things that could kill them prematurely, then we would have tons of threads about proper diet, nutritional foods, exercise regimens, weight control, and all that stuff. But, nah! That's too boring. It's much more exciting and gives a person a much greater sense of moral superiority to lecture others about mask wearing, social distancing, and vaccinations. I see it here every day on this board.

BTW, I enjoyed the golf today, got plenty of exercise and fresh air, and was able to socialize with other human beings. I'm sure that pounding that little white ball around the course was great for reducing tension and relieving stress. I figure that was a hell of a lot better for me than sitting on my butt, worrying about Covid, and stressing out about all the problems in the world.

Now I'm having a glass of wine and looking forward to a good dinner. Relax, laugh more often, and enjoy yourself. You'll live longer and enjoy it more.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:28 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've had Covid and it seemed to come in waves. I'm not even sure if I got over it and then got it again. I was sick in Oct and then in Dec which was much worse. I would test Negative and then I tested Positive for the antibodies. I'm much better now but I still have lingering effects from it. Hard to breathe at times and a little congestion and cough. I did everything imaginable so I would not get this virus and I did. I never left the house and went into a public place without a mask on. I live alone and had no contact with people, other than the Grocery store and a large gym I go to. Yet I got it. We don't know enough about this disease to know all the particulars on how someone gets it. It could come thru the ventilation systems of buildings for all we know. Legionaires Disease did.

People need to take it seriously but so many are nonchalant about the whole thing. I do understand its been just about a year now of this Pandemic in this country, and it has really taken a toll on people. I know it has on me. People just want some kind of normalcy and who can blame them. Personally I think the entire Pandemic could have been handled much better in this country than it has been.

that's right its not just going to go away and will be around for sometime to come. What an awful thought but that's the reality of this Virus.
The gym is probably where you got it. It`s the worst place to be right now.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:15 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see it become like the flu, where there is an annual vaccine and some years / strains are worse and deadlier than others.

That's where the science suggests that we are heading.

The longer people refuse to get vaccinated, the longer it will take to even reach that possibility!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness