Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:45 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,779 times

Advertisements

I haven't cheated as of yet. Going on day number 4 now..
My husband is still smoking around me too Yorkie. I feel ya there. But, at the same time.. I think maybe if he sees that it doesn't bother me being around it (it does.. I am an awesome actress, haha) maybe that will be inspiring to him to quit. We don't smoke in our home.. so that makes it easier. Actually, to be honest.. even when he smokes outside and comes in afterwards, I think the smell is so gross to me now. I guess I never really noticed it before, since I was covered by it.
But, I do have to say.. its getting easier. Its getting easier to make it throught the days. The first couple, I thought I would murder someone. seriously. But, now its just the cravings that hit me every once in a while are driving me insane.. but if I have made it this far.. I am not going to start again.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!! We can do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 08:45 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Ignore him, do not get stressed because he is smoking. When I quit I had two adults in the house puffing away and I made them feel really stupid when I had quit for a month because I did and I could, now no one smokes in my house and I am not an anti smoker. I just got tired of the wonderful color of my walls, drapes etc.
Go for it, I did after 35 years and bought a truck with the money I saved. I smoked three packs of Camel Lights a day.
I've been smoking for about 37 years now and have tried everything, one method at a time, or 4 of them simultaneously. The only thing I have never done is cold turkey. It scares the daylights out of me. I have no discipline for that but I have to quit.
There's this new pill now called Chantix. It's the best thing they've come up with so far for quitting but it's still not a magical solution. I will be asking my doctor for a script "soon".

Wish I could join all you non-smokers on here right now. What's stopping me? ME.

Alexander you reminded me of when I moved from NY. I used to smoke in my apt. at that time. I was flabergasted when things came off the walls - pictures, curtains, shelves... The amount of nicotine that was impregnated on those walls! Imagine what the lungs are like.
There's no smoking inside the house here but my car......you can't shampoo that upholstery enough and it still stinks, even to me.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
Thought I would let you know I am still smoke free, I look at it this way, if poprocksncoke can do it, then I can to, so don't go back now poprocks, you know how hard the first few days were.
That is what I tell myself also, if I can get past the first week, then it will get eaiser. I am on day two, and trying to keep track, since I feel like I am spaced out at times.
I have also been drinking lots of lemon water, since plain water gets old, and I am not in, to much flavored water, I sure go to the bathroom more now, but they say water cleans it all out of your system.
My husband said he is out of cigarettes now, he hasn't asked me for my one pack yet, I hope he can quit, or if not do it outside then. I will be on later, to keep my supporters informed as to how I am doing. I know I am only on my second day, but I don't want to start at my first day again.
Thank you poprocksncoke for getting me started, I will be right behind you, so lets keep this going. Talk to you all later. Thanks for the support!!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:18 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,528 times
I think with anything it has to be a decision you make. You have to really want it. And I mean REALLY want it. That has to be the first step. I think also seeing what it does to our bodies can help. Is there a Dr you can talk to? Find out if you can see a smokers lung compared to a healthy one. Not a picture but a real one. Go to a hospital and talk to people suffering lung cancer or emphysema. Talk to someone who has lost a loved one because of smoking. Really hear and feel their pain.

As a former smoker... I quit cold turkey. It took several things to help. One was really making the decision to want to quit. The next was my teenage and the look in his eyes and the sound of his voice telling me he didn't want me to die and how lost he would be with out me. Next was replacing the smoking habit with other things... like I had mentioned in an earlier post... I used brushing my teeth and even using mouthwash right after eating or before getting in the car to drive. Strong mints too. I had to identify any and all triggers to smoke and find a replacement. (I made myself stay away from foods to replace smoking) Then the next step was my rewarding myself... for me the money I saved in a week went to buy myself something...then when I added up how much I saved in a month... I ended up moving to a nicer home and using the money I saved from smoking to make up the difference.

All these years later and still not smoking!!! You will eventually taste things differently and smell things differently... It is so very worth it all the way around!

Good for you new non smokers! Hang in there... it can be done!!!
Good for you former smokers who have never gone back!!!
And Good for you who were smarter than I and never smoked at all!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Thought I would let you know I am still smoke free, I look at it this way, if poprocksncoke can do it, then I can to, so don't go back now poprocks, you know how hard the first few days were.
That is what I tell myself also, if I can get past the first week, then it will get eaiser. I am on day two, and trying to keep track, since I feel like I am spaced out at times.
I have also been drinking lots of lemon water, since plain water gets old, and I am not in, to much flavored water, I sure go to the bathroom more now, but they say water cleans it all out of your system.
My husband said he is out of cigarettes now, he hasn't asked me for my one pack yet, I hope he can quit, or if not do it outside then. I will be on later, to keep my supporters informed as to how I am doing. I know I am only on my second day, but I don't want to start at my first day again.
Thank you poprocksncoke for getting me started, I will be right behind you, so lets keep this going. Talk to you all later. Thanks for the support!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! I am proud of you!
It only gets easier as the days go by for me it seems. I can't speak for everyone.. but I just wonder if I could have done this a while ago.. and why the heck I didn't. Oh well.
I personally think that being around people smoking, and being able to resist the urge to bum one or go buy a pack.. it only makes me feel better about myself. I don't have much self confidence.. but I am feeling really proud of myself for making it this far. It may not seem like its been that long to other people.. but TRUST ME.. it feels like its been forever since I had a smoke.. and I don't plan on doing it anytime soon! YAY!! Let's be eachother's backbones. There is power in numbers!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Wow, how sweet to have a child say that-much less a TEENAGER! That would have done it for me! I have been off the smokes for just about 3 weeks, and I also feel sort of spacey, really weird, unfortunately, I haven't found a non-food replacement yet. Forgot about brushing and mouthwash-that really is a kind of appetite suppressant. Yorkie...I saw a post of yours in another thread, and now I understand about your non-supportive husband. Just say, 'well, if you can't do it, I understand...' but make it a "parting shot'' like over the phone or when you're leaving, because men [SOME] cannot STAND to be told they CAN'T do something. It assaults/insults their manliness! They can do ANYthing a woman can do. But anyway, smokers are becoming like the town pariahs any more; I was embarassed to even be smoking going out to my mailbox, and you pretty much can't smoke anywhere anymore, anyway.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 PM

Hi everyone, I am still a non-smoker, it is hard right now sitting here. I have been doing good all day, but now I am back to feeling spacey, like there is something missing, I go to reach for my smokes, but they are not there duh!!!!
I don't really crave them, I just think for me it is the motion that I am missing, and being so spacey, it is driving me nuts!!!! How can you get a clear mind through all of this?
Just want you all to know, my husband, that I know of hasen't had one since this morning, Yeah for him, now he knows what it is like to try and quit.
We will have to wait and see if he can last all day tomorrow.
My 12 year old daughter bet that I would make it, and that her dad wouldn't last, if he goes back to smoking he has to pay her $100, I say what ever he spends on smokes he can give the same amount to both of us.
I know he had PMS today, it was kind of funny seeing him go through what I had went through the day before. I have only had one can of Dr. Pepper per day for the last two days, that hasn't bothered me like I thought it would.
I used to drink almost a twelve pack everyday. So I am proud of that also, I got on the scale today, I weighed 134 pounds, I am trying to get down to 120 pounds, I have done it before with drinking a lot of water, but time will tell, and I am watching what I eat. Sorry about going on and on.
POPROCKSNCOKE YOU ROCK!!!!!! Thank you for being my back bone, and I will be yours, we will have to start a new thread if we run out of pages on this one, and maybe others will jump on and join us, by the way Poprocks, I forgot, you said it is getting eaiser for you after four days? I hope the same works for me. I will live on the health walker for the rest of the month maybe??? Take care, and I will check in later, or in the morning, I will be on day 3 as of midnight YEAH!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM

Thumbs up Great job!!!!! Keep it going!!!!!

I am proud of you going for 3 weeks with out a cigarette, if I remember, by that time five years ago, I was feeling better and the spacey feeling was going away. What is it with wanting to shove about anything into our mouths?? I have been trying to stick to fruit, water, and veggies with no butter.
My husband is on his own as far as the smoking goes, I guess I will not be supportive of him if he can't do the same for me, I guess after 23 years you really get to know a person, and I am not liking a lot of things.
I was embarassed when going to pick my child up from school, and it was getting to the point people would give you weird looks for smoking where ever you went. You made it this far, and you have won the battle, just always remember how you have felt for the last 3 weeks, and ask yourself if you want to go through it again. I think I learned my lesson this time.
COME ON QBABY AND ALL OF YOU OTHERS, WE CAN DO THIS!!!! JUST GIVE IT A SHOT, YOU HAVE US HERE FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Wow, how sweet to have a child say that-much less a TEENAGER! That would have done it for me! I have been off the smokes for just about 3 weeks, and I also feel sort of spacey, really weird, unfortunately, I haven't found a non-food replacement yet. Forgot about brushing and mouthwash-that really is a kind of appetite suppressant. Yorkie...I saw a post of yours in another thread, and now I understand about your non-supportive husband. Just say, 'well, if you can't do it, I understand...' but make it a "parting shot'' like over the phone or when you're leaving, because men [SOME] cannot STAND to be told they CAN'T do something. It assaults/insults their manliness! They can do ANYthing a woman can do. But anyway, smokers are becoming like the town pariahs any more; I was embarassed to even be smoking going out to my mailbox, and you pretty much can't smoke anywhere anymore, anyway.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Wow! I am sooooo impressed with those of you quitting! Just keep it up and you'll be so proud of yourselves. (YorkieMom, do yourself a favor and don't try to lose weight at the same time...you're really putting a lot of pressure on yourself.) I had the spaciness too and I didn't understand that either but it did go away. As for the tiredness, I honestly think the cigarettes increased my metabolism and kept me going, and going....Then when you quit, it's like a collapse! Someone mentioned the patches actually gave them close to a nicotine OD. I did that with the gum and it also gave me heartburn so I couldn't use that. I started with the #2 patches and used them only 3 weeks -- and never at night. (Oh and I used the Walgreen's brand patches as they are less expensive but still helped me thru some rough spots.) I've heard some of the herbal preparations help you thru quitting but I can't vouch for that. You'll probably be past the actual nicotine addiction before you break through all those "triggers". I used to say it would be easier to give up my husband than my cigarettes! Isn't that sad? But I'm glad I didn't have to make that choice and we're both happy to be nonsmokers now. (Oh, and on your "anniversary", do something special for yourself...and don't wait a year. Do it after a week, or two, then a month, etc. --- buy yourself a present (maybe a stress relief cd to play while you're in your bubble bath!), get your hair done, change the color if you dare, -- just do something especially for yourself. And Good Luck to all of you!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Hi everyone, I am still a non-smoker, it is hard right now sitting here. I have been doing good all day, but now I am back to feeling spacey, like there is something missing, I go to reach for my smokes, but they are not there duh!!!!
I don't really crave them, I just think for me it is the motion that I am missing, and being so spacey, it is driving me nuts!!!! How can you get a clear mind through all of this?
Just want you all to know, my husband, that I know of hasen't had one since this morning, Yeah for him, now he knows what it is like to try and quit.
We will have to wait and see if he can last all day tomorrow.
My 12 year old daughter bet that I would make it, and that her dad wouldn't last, if he goes back to smoking he has to pay her $100, I say what ever he spends on smokes he can give the same amount to both of us.
I know he had PMS today, it was kind of funny seeing him go through what I had went through the day before. I have only had one can of Dr. Pepper per day for the last two days, that hasn't bothered me like I thought it would.
I used to drink almost a twelve pack everyday. So I am proud of that also, I got on the scale today, I weighed 134 pounds, I am trying to get down to 120 pounds, I have done it before with drinking a lot of water, but time will tell, and I am watching what I eat. Sorry about going on and on.
POPROCKSNCOKE YOU ROCK!!!!!! Thank you for being my back bone, and I will be yours, we will have to start a new thread if we run out of pages on this one, and maybe others will jump on and join us, by the way Poprocks, I forgot, you said it is getting eaiser for you after four days? I hope the same works for me. I will live on the health walker for the rest of the month maybe??? Take care, and I will check in later, or in the morning, I will be on day 3 as of midnight YEAH!!!!!!
WOOHOO!! I DO think its been easier after you get through those first couple days.
I understand what you are saying about the motions.. the first 2 days, I got in my car and immediately rolled down the window. Then I was just like.. oops. So now, I just find things to replace that "motion" I get in my car and I flip through my cds to find a new one to put in. During my normal smoke breaks at work, I walk all around our building, up and down the stairs and just get up and move around. Its healthy and I get a change of scenery. (Looking at these cubicle walls gets boring..although I do have Hello Kitty on mine )
I *knock on wood* haven't got the "munchies" from quitting. In fact, I think I have less appetite. Which, if I got fat from smoking, I am REALLY pissed that I didn't quit a long time ago!!!
But everyone that is going through this sticking together does help.. alot. I think that my biggest trial of willpower, will be drinking this weekend. I would burn through a pack in a couple hours after I have been drinking. Its gross..but true. I can do it.. GOD I hope so!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness