Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM

240 posts, read 586,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Cold turkey taking advantage of a terrible cold worked for me. No one wants to smoke when his throat is raw and painful and his nasal passages are spewing gallons of mucous.
I quit cold turkey in Nov. of last year when I got a bad cough. I haven't smoked since and I have no desire. Cold turkey seems to be the best way to quit, then absolutely no cheating allowed afterward....even 1 ciggi after even months or years of not smoking will instantly lead to two more, then four, then a pack that lasts for a week, then another pack that lasts for three days, then five packs because it's cheaper to buy more at the tobacco store, and then all of a sudden you're back to buying cartons and heck, better buy back up stock, so then it's two cartons....evil escalation.
Once you start..it has to be cold turkey with no exceptions or cheating.
For years I have been collecting lines I like out of books I read then typing them up. Today I was typing up some of them and I ran across one on this subject.

Retirement village -- On old timer had been there for years and everyone knew he was a real heavy smoker. One of the residents realized they hadn't seen him smoking for quite awhile and commented on it.

He said, "Well after 60 years of smoking I got to thinking it was starting to turn into a habit so I quit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 AM

334 posts, read 716,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I've been an avid smoker for 15 years and would like any suggestions on smoking cessation that have worked for any of you. I'm tired of the smell and what it can do to my health. Thanks!!
You're going to get a lot of answers to your question but here is the truth. You have to make up your mind to be a non-smoker. Then you just don't smoke. You'll have a very difficult 3 or 4 days. Then the nicotine addiction is over but the psychological addiction remains. Every day that addiction becomes less until one day you don't even think about smoking.
I started smoking in the Army in 1969 and continued until 1986. I got up one Saturday morning and decided not to smoke any more. Saturday was bad. By Sunday night I felt like I was wearing someone elses skin inside out. Monday I felt a good bit better. By Tuesday I felt so much better I knew I could succeed.
OP, you have a nicotine addiction and you have to deal with withdrawal. You've felt worse with the flu. Just suck it up and deal. It's well worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness