Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:43 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,779 times

Advertisements

Oh, I just quit as of 11:59pm on Dec 31st.
I did it cold turkey
I am DYING to have one right now, esp. with the morning coffee.. but then I think if I made it through the first 24 hours, let's see how far I can make it. I am going to try really hard. And I don't like gum, so I am eating lifesavers when I really get a craving. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 AM

409 posts, read 1,236,946 times
#1. Want to quit
#2. Quit cold turkey

It worked for me. Just decided that I didn't want to smoke anymore, and quit. I had dreams of smoking for several months, but that passed with time. My wife also 'just quit'

Old 01-02-2007, 07:14 AM

The lifesavers are gone.. I am going to have to get gum from the vending machine ARG!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:29 AM

986 posts, read 2,807,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
The lifesavers are gone.. I am going to have to get gum from the vending machine ARG!
good luck!!! I quit cold turkey 27 years ago!!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
good luck!!! I quit cold turkey 27 years ago!!!!
That's awesome!
I am trying hard... I just hope I don't eat like a cow now.
(as I type I am stuffing my face with Mint chocolate dipped Oreos. )

Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Uh oh, thought you were going to buy gum!! I know the feeling-eating everything in sight-what can people do [this is for those of you who quit a while ago] to stop the compulsive munchies?? And PLEASE do NOT say carrot sticks-get real!

Old 01-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Uh oh, thought you were going to buy gum!! I know the feeling-eating everything in sight-what can people do [this is for those of you who quit a while ago] to stop the compulsive munchies?? And PLEASE do NOT say carrot sticks-get real!
I tried.
But, I hate gum.. I sucked the flavor out in like 2 seconds. Then I moved on to chocolate. YAY.
But now its ok.. the morning was REALLY hard.. its getting easier as I go along. But work seems to be DRAGGING on since I don't have the smoke breaks to break up my day. I decided that I am going to walk around the building and up and down the stairs during my normal break time. That way I get up off my butt and get a change of scenery..and get a tiny bit of exercise.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 PM

Well, I stopped on Dec. 12th, and the only good thing I can say is, I haven't killed anyone-yet! Wonder how long the evilness lasts-it's not just me is it???
you can tell people you quit smoking LAST YEAR and maybe that will make it seem better to say/hear yourself saying. Maybe you could read a little on your former smoke breaks-or play a game on line-I recommend Scrabble!! Kills the whole day sometimes...oh, and those stairs are a good form of exercise-see if they get easier to climb as time passes!

Old 01-02-2007, 08:34 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
I am on my last pack, I have one I plan on holding back on.
I quit a few years ago for four months, I had it won!!!! But then family really stressed me out and my husband pushed me to have just one, well then it soon went to a pack a day.
What really helped me the first time when I quit was, a self hypnosis tape, I had to play it over and over, Wellbutrin also works, and the best thing is CINNAMON CANDY DISK, it makes your tongue feel like you had a cigarette.
I plan on starting, with all my things I have brought up, it is hard for a few days, but once you can get past a couple days, you have to tell yourself not to look back, and feel proud for making yourself a non-smoker everyday that you don't light up.
Another thing I forgot to bring up, is if you want something to give you a sucking type feeling, try a straw or a cinnamon stick, it also works good.
I will keep you posted as to how I am doing once I run out. Good luck to all who are trying to give this nasty habit up, we can do it if we all stick together. I also hope my husband can quit, it would be easier on me.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but your husband pushed you to have just ONE??? Keep him away from AA meetings! I have much sadness and stress in my life, which I won't get in to, but one thing you know is true is that it's better for your heart and blood pressure if you aren't smoking. Something that really REALLY burns me is just how nasty/evil/toxic and addictive nicotine is, how a little thing like a CIGARETTE can have that much control over a person. Mind boggling. I also feel a tremendous amount of guilt for not realizing (make that-understanding) just how much it bothered my son through the years, although I did NOT smoke right in front of him, I DID smoke in the house. I can plainly see how bothersome it is since my husband still smokes-he smokes menthol though, I did not-thank heavens for that anyway. So, poprocksncoke-did you make it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness