Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 11:14 AM

26,890 posts, read 27,080,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
CDC is a for-profit corporation with obvious ties to the pharmaceutical industry (which thrives on keeping people sick and dependent on wildly expensive drugs)...
You're confusing the CDC with the CDC Foundation. The former is not for profit and is a federal agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 11:26 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,151,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Unless you happen to be one of the people who has those side effects.

Politics has nothing to do with who gets this virus. And we can't predict what will happen once someone gets the virus, regardless of his or her age.

"I would never have imagined in a million years that I would have gotten this virus the way that I did."

A healthy 30-year-old man went to a crowded bar. He ended up in a hospital on a breathing tube:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/ar...tal/index.html

A 31 year old news reporter:

"The virus itself is a doozy, even with a best-case scenario version like mine. You get a little better and then you get a little worse. A few days ago, after nearly a week off work, I thought I had finally turned the corner. That night, I got lightheaded getting out of a hot bath and passed out walking back to my room."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ction-symptoms
But how it is being handled and who blames who is very political and this sad!!!

Old 09-14-2020, 11:28 AM

10,287 posts, read 6,380,439 times
Our temps this coming week here in Poconos are going to be highs in 50's and lows in 30's. Already starting to get dark by 7 PM.

Yeah, let's enjoy outdoor dining at restaurants in the NE. BTW, just read a report to expect a mass migration of birds here to the South in the next two nights. Maybe wildlife is not as stupid as some humans are.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:34 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,151,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm sure some parts of Florida are safer than others. If you were in Miami-Dade vs maybe some town off of the beaten path. I'd say it's too risky. It's like that here as well. There are counties with very low numbers. We live about 20 minutes from the loop of Chicago in part of the urban sprawl belt. Our cases are high in our county. Our neighbors daughter was in school for just two hours a couple of times and caught it. Her mom showed symptoms sooner so the daughter went to live with her dad not knowing that she too was positive. Yes most will recover, but how do you know if you're one of the unlucky ones that doesn't like that 30 year old male nurse that died from it in one of the hospitals I used to work in? How do you know you won't be in the hospital and rehab for months because of Covid? That's the problem. You don't know until you catch it what it's going to do to your body and what if any lasting complications you may or may not have. If you're looking at it in the just about me perspective, you may also be an asymptomatic carrier spreading it to some one else that may not be so lucky having it, or God forbid, a child that dies from it. We all have to do our part to safeguard the lives of others more vulnerable. It's just the right thing to do.

The sad part about this whole nightmare is that we could have stopped it early on. I saw an interesting interview with the vice president of Taiwan. He's an epidemiologist and he discussed how there was no shut down of their economy and less than 1,000 cases, and a handful of deaths. It's very sad that we could not have followed their science based model early on. All of this was so unnecessary.

Yes we support our local restaurants with curb side pick up or delivery. Right now we are taking a lot of risk going for supplies for the rental property we plan on selling. I'd rather not go, but right now we have no choice. Restaurants? Meh, it's just food not worth the added risk of dining in for.
so you saw an interview: wow!!! that's make everything you think 100% right, is that what you are saying? We do no know how we could have slowed this down, but I, for one do not think we could have stopped it as you are saying. Regardless of the age situation, underlining conditions of anything else the death rate and seriousness of the virus is still very, very low. Of course some are more likely to get it and get truly sick but still the chances, even for them is low as long as we practice common sense.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 5,099,464 times
More from Fauci --

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE7tWzinTI8/

Old 09-14-2020, 12:15 PM

14,424 posts, read 11,886,173 times
I'm fortunate to live in a place where you really can enjoy eating out all year round. However, the restaurant where my daughter works reopened indoor dining last week (they also have a very large outdoor patio). She reported that they have been full to capacity every day; of course "capacity" right now is only 25% of their actual indoor space. So at least 25% of their normal clientele is happy to eat inside again.

We've been living as normally as possible since this all started. Husband goes to work every day, daughters go to work 3-4 times per week, we attend church weekly, we've gone on vacation and eaten out, we have friends and family over to our house. If we had stayed locked inside for the past six months, our physical health couldn't have been any better (though our mental and financial health would have been a lot worse). But by not staying home quarantining are we the problem? This would have been all over by now if not for people like us?

Old 09-14-2020, 02:45 PM

11,153 posts, read 6,747,950 times
As soon as cafes opened up, we went but only outdoor seating. By ourselves. To support the businesses and just to get out. Servers were all masked. This was/is in Portugal and Ecuador.

The other day, we let our guard down and 2 friends we hadn't seen for months joined us and another neighbor for cocktails on his balcony. Then he served dinner INSIDE, and I forgot all about distancing. Oh well, we had a good time and I hope those 3 friends have been being careful. We are in sort of a remote area with few cases. We don't go anywhere else except the grocery store---in and out quick as possible. Everybody's masked.

I knew the virus hung in the air for 15 to 30 minutes, so got nervous even passing people while walking. We'd put our masks on when we knew someone was coming past us. We can only do so much, but do what we can.

I don't blame the CDC or any of the scientists for updating their recommendations as new info pours in. How could they know at first everything about a brand-new virus? New info=new recommendations. That's science!

Old 09-14-2020, 03:21 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,068,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and let's hope your panic attitude keeps you safe but let's not judge others who have a different opinion. There are pros and cons regardless of what side you are on. Using common sense while still enjoying life is the answer for many of us. For others total isolation might be the option.
It's interesting how frequently you try to deny I have a right to any sort of opinion that doesn't align perfectly with yours.

How about doing us both a favor -- and putting me on Ignore?

Old 09-14-2020, 10:32 PM

7,376 posts, read 5,297,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Unless you happen to be one of the people who has those side effects.

Politics has nothing to do with who gets this virus. And we can't predict what will happen once someone gets the virus, regardless of his or her age.

"I would never have imagined in a million years that I would have gotten this virus the way that I did."

A healthy 30-year-old man went to a crowded bar. He ended up in a hospital on a breathing tube:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/ar...tal/index.html

A 31 year old news reporter:

"The virus itself is a doozy, even with a best-case scenario version like mine. You get a little better and then you get a little worse. A few days ago, after nearly a week off work, I thought I had finally turned the corner. That night, I got lightheaded getting out of a hot bath and passed out walking back to my room."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ction-symptoms

Anecdotes.

Your risk of dying or getting the serious complications are measured in terms of a few in a million...For perspective, your risk of dying from leukemia is a few per 100,000--10x greater....A college student is 30x more likely to die from alcohol than from CoV.

We're not omnipotent like God-- He can afford to be The Good Shepard watching out for every individual lamb...Public policy must be set based on statistical analysis without regard to individuals.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,263,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so you saw an interview: wow!!! that's make everything you think 100% right, is that what you are saying? We do no know how we could have slowed this down, but I, for one do not think we could have stopped it as you are saying. Regardless of the age situation, underlining conditions of anything else the death rate and seriousness of the virus is still very, very low. Of course some are more likely to get it and get truly sick but still the chances, even for them is low as long as we practice common sense.
The death rate and "seriousness of the virus" is still very, very low????

Is it now???

Let's deal with FACTS and not opinions here....

194000 Americans DEAD from COVID 19 with current projections for up to 400000 dead by New Years...

3% case fatality rate which has held steady in the US for months....that would be the opposite of LOW

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

"Common sense" would dictate not eating indoors in restaurants during an ongoing pandemic with respiratory spread...something which you say you do....therefore you aren't really practicing "common sense" are you??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness