Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 07:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I hope your casual attitude about a pathogen that kills the elderly and the vulnerable, as well as leaving some of those younger with recurrent health issues after recovery continues to serve you well.

Your flip insensitivity towards your sister's suffering is another thing. I feel sorry for her.
and let's hope your panic attitude keeps you safe but let's not judge others who have a different opinion. There are pros and cons regardless of what side you are on. Using common sense while still enjoying life is the answer for many of us. For others total isolation might be the option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 07:33 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
I haven't read this thread, but a few points that may alter everyone's fantasies:

This bug is probably spread mostly by the air-borne route, as opposed to touching contaminated surfaces--That would explain the high apparent infectivity of this fairly fragile virus.

The bugs linger in the air for 15-30 minutes after an infected person passes through, breathing out the germs. If the infected guy lingers for awhile (like at a table in a restaurant), and especially if he's talking a lot (more & deeper breathes per minute-- like at a restaurant) the more bugs he's pouring into the air.

That cloud of bugs takes time to disperse & dilute-- a big problem in a small space, poorly ventilated (like a restaurant). Six feet may not be an adequate buffer to allow adequate dilution, particularly if the contact is over a longer period of time, based on actual studies of air flow....Both time & distance of exposure is important.

Based on the info above, one could easily deduce that spending time in a restaurant would mean a higher infection rate.

Masks may help but are far from perfect. Most of us are wearing the cheapos with pretty large gaps around the sides of the nose, etc. If air can get in without passing thru the material of the mask, it's much less effective at keeping germs out., maybe to the point of being useless...It makes no difference how many bugs you block out--It's the ones you don't block that are the problem.

Feeling safe is not necessarily the same as being safe. Don't kid yourself.

OTOH- if you're under 65y/o. you're at almost no risk of death from CoViD, statistically speaking, and the "serious side effects" are unusual enough to be almost anecdotal. (Death rate in 5- 25 age group 3 in one million; 1 in 100,000 in the 25-45 group and 1 in 10,000 in the 46-65 group- about the same risk as death in a MVA; death rate is much higher in the Nursing Home population and that skews the stats-- risk is probably much, much lower in the old guys not sick enough for the NH.)....

In short, don't worry about exposure unless you're old &/or sick. Don't let politics obscure your judgement of facts.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:42 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
I hope your casual attitude about a pathogen that kills the elderly and the vulnerable,.
Ruminate on this for awhile:

40% of CoViD deaths have occurred in Nursing Home pts..

...But usually the median length of stay (ending with death) of NH pts is only 5 months....

...That means CoViD was only the excuse for dying now instead of waiting a few months and dying from their underlying condition.

If we eliminate that 40% from the analysis of the stats, we'll see we've been panicking over nothing (as it turns out. We didn't know this when it all started last January.)

Old 09-14-2020, 08:04 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
if you're under 65y/o. you're at almost no risk of death from CoViD, statistically speaking, and the "serious side effects" are unusual enough to be almost anecdotal.
Unless you happen to be one of the people who has those side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
In short, don't worry about exposure unless you're old &/or sick. Don't let politics obscure your judgement of facts.
Politics has nothing to do with who gets this virus. And we can't predict what will happen once someone gets the virus, regardless of his or her age.

"I would never have imagined in a million years that I would have gotten this virus the way that I did."

A healthy 30-year-old man went to a crowded bar. He ended up in a hospital on a breathing tube:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/ar...tal/index.html

A 31 year old news reporter:

"The virus itself is a doozy, even with a best-case scenario version like mine. You get a little better and then you get a little worse. A few days ago, after nearly a week off work, I thought I had finally turned the corner. That night, I got lightheaded getting out of a hot bath and passed out walking back to my room."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ction-symptoms

Old 09-14-2020, 08:29 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I live in Florida, enough said on positivity rate. We are careful, we go at early times to avoid the kids and young adults who now seem to be the target age group (65 here) and so far haven't had an issue except one pizza place I wasn't too comfortable with waiting for a table even though all were wearing masks, but that was over a month ago so it worked out ok. None of the restaurants have been crowded at the times we go, many open tables that are available for seating with 50% capacity when eating indoors. As I said we try always for outdoors but not always possible. Living in Florida we are lucky in that eating outdoors can be done for longer periods of time plus many use space heaters and wind shields in the winter.

During the shutdown when it was just takeout we were lucky in that we have two restaurants in our development, one the country club restaurant that is usually restricted to members only. They both did takeout and we did that once a week. I could only stand chicken and hamburger (what we could easily get) so much not to mention I just hate cooking and don't do more than grill something.

As to catching it, until there is a vaccine we all will probably get it. For most it is not a problem. Of the 15 or so people I know who had it only one had it more severe (not hospitalized) and is still having issues and that is my sister but she is known for getting the flu worse than anyone else plus tends to be a little on the dramatic side.

My only issue now is because it is so hot here I stay mostly indoors and everything from my skin to my sinus' are drying out so I have a constant slightly sore throat and sinus' that are sensitive. Might need to invest in a humidifier.
I'm sure some parts of Florida are safer than others. If you were in Miami-Dade vs maybe some town off of the beaten path. I'd say it's too risky. It's like that here as well. There are counties with very low numbers. We live about 20 minutes from the loop of Chicago in part of the urban sprawl belt. Our cases are high in our county. Our neighbors daughter was in school for just two hours a couple of times and caught it. Her mom showed symptoms sooner so the daughter went to live with her dad not knowing that she too was positive. Yes most will recover, but how do you know if you're one of the unlucky ones that doesn't like that 30 year old male nurse that died from it in one of the hospitals I used to work in? How do you know you won't be in the hospital and rehab for months because of Covid? That's the problem. You don't know until you catch it what it's going to do to your body and what if any lasting complications you may or may not have. If you're looking at it in the just about me perspective, you may also be an asymptomatic carrier spreading it to some one else that may not be so lucky having it, or God forbid, a child that dies from it. We all have to do our part to safeguard the lives of others more vulnerable. It's just the right thing to do.

The sad part about this whole nightmare is that we could have stopped it early on. I saw an interesting interview with the vice president of Taiwan. He's an epidemiologist and he discussed how there was no shut down of their economy and less than 1,000 cases, and a handful of deaths. It's very sad that we could not have followed their science based model early on. All of this was so unnecessary.

Yes we support our local restaurants with curb side pick up or delivery. Right now we are taking a lot of risk going for supplies for the rental property we plan on selling. I'd rather not go, but right now we have no choice. Restaurants? Meh, it's just food not worth the added risk of dining in for.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:30 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I've been dining al fresco most of the summer - inside maybe 40% of the time.

Is there risk? Sure there is, but there is risk rolling out of bed every day. If you won't support restaurants now, don't complain when they are gone once things normalize some.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:44 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,843,742 times
I am more surprised by the fact that the CDC had to make a press release to tell people this simple fact. It was well known in February that it was airborne so being around people in a closed space is the most likely way to spread.

Anyway, I have already had Covid19 over 3 months ago. I never stopped going out. In all likelihood I caught it in a restaurant. I knew I might catch it when I was going out but didn't worry about it much. I have continued life throughout all of this without very much change. I still go out to eat in dine in restaurants every weekend with little concern. My objective now is to stay exposed to Covid 19 as much as possible to build a better immune response. Basically I am doing the equivalent of giving myself a vaccine booster shot right now. It is sort of funny reading posts and listening to people that are in such fear they try to avoid leaving the house. I wonder how long they are going to hide because a vaccine still isn't going to be available anytime soon to the general public and when it is, it will likely only be 60% or so effective so you will still be basically flipping a coin every time you go out. lol

Old 09-14-2020, 10:19 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I didn't order take out before this pandemic and I won't now. I eat out so I can enjoy the atmosphere while dining inside. It's not just getting food made for me, I can do that at home. Just voicing how I feel on this subject!
Well then, don't be surprised that your favorite restaurants no longer exist when we all can go out again without masks. Occasional takeout to support these restaurants is a good thing. Yes I can cook at home, but restaurants do it better and I don't have to clean up other than throw the containers away. Also, take out is a good way to social distance and do a picnic if there is a nice park or in my case beach nearby.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:33 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
CDC is a for-profit corporation with obvious ties to the pharmaceutical industry (which thrives on keeping people sick and dependent on wildly expensive drugs)...

Old 09-14-2020, 10:38 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
I hope your casual attitude about a pathogen that kills the elderly and the vulnerable, as well as leaving some of those younger with recurrent health issues after recovery continues to serve you well.

Your flip insensitivity towards your sister's suffering is another thing. I feel sorry for her.
How is it a casual attitude? It is the truth, unless a vaccine is available then we all will eventually catch it because we can't hide in our houses forever. Doing so will lead to business going out and increased suicide which we are already seeing. We saw this when most of the country shut down for months. We see it in New Zealand, they went a month without any cases yet as soon as they opened up it came back. What we have also seen is better treatments available so that the elderly and the vulnerable stand a chance instead of doing what Cuomo did and telling nursing homes to take back recovering covid patients. Talk about insensitivity.

As to my sister, I do sympathize with her having it and the possible repercussions, but I don't know really how bad it really is because everytime she gets a cold she is posting on facebook how miserable she is. I am of the type when I get sick, leave me the heck alone, I'll get over it. As I said for most, recurrent issues aren't a problem, for some yes, and if you do have health issues do everything you can to avoid it until a vaccine but don't let it ruin your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness