Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 10:00 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And this man was eating at a patio table outside a restaurant.

"In my social circles, I was considered among the least likely person to contract the disease because, basically, I abandoned the circles. For four months I avoided all crowded driveway happy hours and cul-de-sac cocktail parties. I didn’t set foot inside my church even during the brief time it was open. I didn’t set foot inside a grocery store as my youngest daughter Mary Clare, who was quarantined with me for most of the summer, did all the shopping.

I wore a mask everywhere. I followed all the rules, but a couple of weeks ago I didn’t follow my instincts. I briefly let my guard down. The coronavirus came out swinging.

The weekend before my symptoms appeared, for the first time in four months, I met friends for two dinners at two socially distanced patio tables. Nobody is required to wear masks at the tables, so I removed my mask when I sat, as did my dining partners, and we left them off during the entire time we were at the table.

I didn’t do anything that was prohibited, right? I was just following the rules, right?

My guess is that I caught it there."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...-19-experience
Well he met friends twice for dinner. How well did he know those friends and what their social habits were ?

I've gone out to eat twice in the past 3 weeks. Same restaurant, outdoor seating.
Only 4 cars in the parking lot and no one sitting outside but me both times.

I felt pretty safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 11:13 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Right. His asymptomatic dining partner.

The thing that disappointed me when I read the article last month was that they were outside, which I thought was pretty much safe. I didn't realize that of course your dining partners are not sitting 6 feet from you--although the other diners are--and that you all probably need to wear a mask if you're going to talk for 2 hours, even outside.

It's must less risky to go shopping. You're in the store for maybe a half hour maximum.
True but if you are more than 6 feet from others, especially outside dining, I think it is just as risky especially when I see many not wearing masks properly including employees.

Last night we went out to dinner and due to rain we ate inside but they started to seat us near the bar where people were sitting so I requested an available table near the windows well away from the bar even though it was a larger table for six and there were just the two of us. We were early and there wasn't anyone waiting for tables.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Me too! Last ate out on March 11th! Just too risky!
Then please support your favorite restaurants and order take out. I hate hearing that restaurants are closing because they can't make it. If those who are scared to eat out just do take out instead they will help the restaurant stay in business. Picking up should be no more dangerous than shopping in a supermarket.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Good for you. I hope you never catch this. I'm curious about the positivity rate where you live? There are still pockets of the country relatively Covid free. We unfortunately live in a hot zone, and our positivity rate is going up from a low of 2.6 to an average of 5.5% with some areas reporting a positivity rate of over 6%. We are seeing an uptick in hospitalizations state wide as well. If we hit an 8% positivity rate, our governor will shut down the restaurants and bars. State wide we have over 250,000 cases and an average of 1,200 new cases a day. We are clearly headed in the wrong direction here.

So indoor dining is not happening for us for quite awhile. We know this is airborne, and I can't see how removing a mask to eat in an enclosed space is a good idea in a hot zone. I just don't feel comfortable doing that here. I think we're going to be in trouble here in the fall and winter.
I live in Florida, enough said on positivity rate. We are careful, we go at early times to avoid the kids and young adults who now seem to be the target age group (65 here) and so far haven't had an issue except one pizza place I wasn't too comfortable with waiting for a table even though all were wearing masks, but that was over a month ago so it worked out ok. None of the restaurants have been crowded at the times we go, many open tables that are available for seating with 50% capacity when eating indoors. As I said we try always for outdoors but not always possible. Living in Florida we are lucky in that eating outdoors can be done for longer periods of time plus many use space heaters and wind shields in the winter.

During the shutdown when it was just takeout we were lucky in that we have two restaurants in our development, one the country club restaurant that is usually restricted to members only. They both did takeout and we did that once a week. I could only stand chicken and hamburger (what we could easily get) so much not to mention I just hate cooking and don't do more than grill something.

As to catching it, until there is a vaccine we all will probably get it. For most it is not a problem. Of the 15 or so people I know who had it only one had it more severe (not hospitalized) and is still having issues and that is my sister but she is known for getting the flu worse than anyone else plus tends to be a little on the dramatic side.

My only issue now is because it is so hot here I stay mostly indoors and everything from my skin to my sinus' are drying out so I have a constant slightly sore throat and sinus' that are sensitive. Might need to invest in a humidifier.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:43 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well he met friends twice for dinner. How well did he know those friends and what their social habits were ?

I've gone out to eat twice in the past 3 weeks. Same restaurant, outdoor seating.
Only 4 cars in the parking lot and no one sitting outside but me both times.

I felt pretty safe.
Some popular restaurants have long lines waiting to be seated in the outdoor dining area. You're getting exposed to the virus that can stay airborne for several hours. Risk is a function of how long you're in one place, how many people are in that place, and how many people may be infected.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:16 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Then please support your favorite restaurants and order take out. I hate hearing that restaurants are closing because they can't make it. If those who are scared to eat out just do take out instead they will help the restaurant stay in business. Picking up should be no more dangerous than shopping in a supermarket.
I didn't order take out before this pandemic and I won't now. I eat out so I can enjoy the atmosphere while dining inside. It's not just getting food made for me, I can do that at home. Just voicing how I feel on this subject!

Old 09-13-2020, 02:41 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
As to catching it, until there is a vaccine we all will probably get it. For most it is not a problem. Of the 15 or so people I know who had it only one had it more severe (not hospitalized) and is still having issues and that is my sister but she is known for getting the flu worse than anyone else plus tends to be a little on the dramatic side.
I hope your casual attitude about a pathogen that kills the elderly and the vulnerable, as well as leaving some of those younger with recurrent health issues after recovery continues to serve you well.

Your flip insensitivity towards your sister's suffering is another thing. I feel sorry for her.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:45 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
- few folks dine alone. Most likely culprit is their dining partner - so it wasn't the act of dining out, per se, that doubled their chances - it was being near another person, whatever the venue, and that seems sensible.
It looks as if the issue is masks--or lack of them--while eating out.

"Masks cannot be effectively worn while eating and drinking, whereas shopping and numerous other indoor activities do not preclude mask use," researchers wrote.

Granted, this was a small study (315 participants - same study as the OP.)

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ants-cdc-study

Old 09-13-2020, 03:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
I don't know how people are staying home for months. I'd lose my mind. it was really rough when restaurants were completely shut down here. Weeks coking for ourselves. We enjoy eating out. We eat out several times a week. Winter we eat home most of the time because of the weather - cold and snow. But this time of year? We want to be out and about.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
You are so right on. We did curb side during our mini shut down back in March and April. Now we do either curb side or actually enjoy time with friends at happy hour once a week or dining in with friends. So far, knock on wood we only know one person who has had COVUID and we are all in the compromising age group, some with underlining conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness