Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 04:08 PM

1,348 posts, read 710,787 times

Advertisements

i cook at home safer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 05:24 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,633,462 times
Me too! Last ate out on March 11th! Just too risky!

Old 09-12-2020, 07:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 710,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Me too! Last ate out on March 11th! Just too risky!
exactly

Old 09-12-2020, 07:55 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,413,113 times
Ha. I've eaten out plenty of times since they've reopened restaurants and have never gotten sick...neither have any of my friends. The media has really scared people and it's just sad....

Old 09-12-2020, 09:46 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,004,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Ha. I've eaten out plenty of times since they've reopened restaurants and have never gotten sick...neither have any of my friends. The media has really scared people and it's just sad....
The Texas Medical Association has a chart showing the risk associated with various activities, from 1 (low risk) to 9 (high risk).

Dining inside a restaurant is rated a 7.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:31 PM

7,205 posts, read 4,601,558 times
We have been eating out once a week for the past few months. We prefer to eat outside but it’s too smoky now.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:50 AM

10,254 posts, read 6,346,458 times
We ate at inside over Labor Day at our Development's first big event, Prime Rib Dinner. The young people with children were eating outside. Inside were all Seniors. Only 25% indoor seating spaced very far apart. Husband and I were the only table with two people. Other tables had four and six people. They all live in the same household. Seniors? Had to wear masks coming and going but as soon as drinks came, masks came off.

It was 62 degrees outside and starting to get dark by 7 pm. Eat outside? Cold Prime Rib in the dark not my idea of a nice dinner. Unless we want take out from a Burger King or Pizza Parlor, closest nice restaurant is about 20 miles away. Take out? Microwave your food when you get home?

Husband and I used that Prime Rib Dinner to celebrate our 46th Anniversary. Burger King or Pizza instead? My feeling is how many more anniversaries will we be celebrating together? Make the most of it while we can.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:19 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,892,730 times
yeah, couple of things here, some mentioned already - few folks dine alone. Most likely culprit is their dining partner - so it wasn't the act of dining out, per se, that doubled their chances - it was being near another person, whatever the venue, and that seems sensible.

Meantime - very - very - few people in the USA (as a percent) caught COVID on any given day...so your chances were already might slim. Now the mighty slim chance is doubled. So the headline really should be:

COVID is not common or likely...but it's more likely, if you get around other people.

Seems surprising if this were NOT the case - this "news" should have been knowledge long ago.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:45 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,820,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Guess what, he probably caught it from one of his two dining partners (not necessarily from dining at a restaurant) who had it but didn't know it. If you go out with your significant other I don't think you are in any greater risk than if you go shopping even without masks so long as the restaurant is adhering to staff wearing their masks and wearing them properly and the tables are distanced from others.

I roll my eyes at every pronouncement by the CDC because they so often have been changing their minds about things. It is don't wear a mask it does nothing to everyone wear a mask or it is wash all your groceries to it doesn't spread so easily that way.

I eat out once a week outdoors if I can but indoors if raining or not available. Still Covid free.
Good for you. I hope you never catch this. I'm curious about the positivity rate where you live? There are still pockets of the country relatively Covid free. We unfortunately live in a hot zone, and our positivity rate is going up from a low of 2.6 to an average of 5.5% with some areas reporting a positivity rate of over 6%. We are seeing an uptick in hospitalizations state wide as well. If we hit an 8% positivity rate, our governor will shut down the restaurants and bars. State wide we have over 250,000 cases and an average of 1,200 new cases a day. We are clearly headed in the wrong direction here.

So indoor dining is not happening for us for quite awhile. We know this is airborne, and I can't see how removing a mask to eat in an enclosed space is a good idea in a hot zone. I just don't feel comfortable doing that here. I think we're going to be in trouble here in the fall and winter.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:54 AM

25,456 posts, read 9,847,745 times
I haven't eaten out or gotten take out since March. Everyone is different, so I certainly don't make any judgments on people who do those things. But for the foreseeable future, I'm not comfortable with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness