Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 06:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

As long as there is continuing fear mongering and negativity that "it's out there" it will remain there...and truth be known viruses are everywhere. The more negative we manifest, the more there will be. Enjoy all.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:40 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Florida is in the middle of their re-opening process. Restaurants are allowed to be open now, with restrictions and limitations on indoor and outdoor seating. Different restaurants are handling the sanitizing issue differently - some require their servers to wear masks, some don't require it but recommend it. Gloves for food prep really depends on the type of food and the preparations needed. You definitely don't want to be the kitchen employee hand-mixing the meatloaf when your glove snaps off into the mix, and have to throw away 10 pounds of meat because it's now contaminated with the INSIDE of your glove, which contained pieces of dried skin and sweat.

Not to mention that meatloaf will be cooked to a higher temperature than necessary to kill the virus anyway, and "not wearing gloves" becomes "not a big deal" in a lot of food prep.

On the other hand - constructing a cheeseburger after the meat has already been cooked, adding the cheese, lettuce, putting it on a bun, etc - that kind of thing you probably want someone wearing gloves for.

One place I went to required all guests to accept a spritz of liquid hand sanitizer applied to their hands, unless they brought their own and used it before sitting down.

Another place required all guests to wear masks INSIDE the restaurant until they were seated - and were required to put the mask back on whenever they stood back up (to go to the bathroom or to leave, for example).

I've been inside three restaurants so far since it's been allowed again, and haven't seen any particularly risky behavior/activities.

We get a few nuts here and there - on "both sides" of the issue. The ones who'll stand RIGHT next to you so you can smell the garlic and booze on their breath while they tell you that your mask isn't protecting anyone.. and the other ones who will yell at you to wear your mask correctly when you're outside and nowhere near them or anyone else.

Mostly though people are cautiously optimistic, and most are at least trying to be responsible and courteous to each other.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Keep in mind that many restaurants are not great places to eat even BEFORE this virus. I am talking about "dirty dining" issues, like having roaches and rodents, dirty dishes, pots, etc. and foods that are spoiled or set out too long Most people never even give that a thought. I would say CHOOSE WISELY.

We have gone out a few times, but only places with outdoor dining, we live in Florida so many places provide that, especially now.
Don't forget air exchange. Always a bad issue in most restaurants. Circulation is poor

Old 05-25-2020, 07:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 1,599,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Don't forget air exchange. Always a bad issue in most restaurants. Circulation is poor
Correct. It's the key issue of being inside. One study found that an infected person spread the virus down AND upstream the air system in a restaurant. And in an office. So even if they use half the tables, to keep people apart, it still can spread in the air.

Here's the study:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764-f1

Old 05-25-2020, 08:56 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I frequently dined out before COVID, have dined out since, in multiple cities, and will continue to do so. I have been shoulder to shoulder in a local bar since COVID, though I am in an area with a very low infection rate.

I'm going to continue dining out with reasonable precautions. I'm in my mid-30s, no prior conditions, rarely ill. Giving the restaurants and bars business is as much of a sign of solidarity with them as it is rebellion against overeager authorities.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:03 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Until there's a vaccine it will never be safe to go out to eat.

The employees working there could be sick.

The patrons there could be sick.

The food delivery guys could be sick.

Even take out is not safe because of reasons listed, not to mention the driver.

It's never going back to like before until there's a cure.

Stay home if you don't want to take the risks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The virus is still out there.

People are still getting sick and dying!

There is no way in Hell that I am going to start mixing with people until a vaccine, or cure, is developed

You'd have to be nuts to mix in public at this time, it's too early in the progression of this disease
I totally agree w/ you both 200%!!

Yes, I have a couple of health issues that compromise my immunity, but even if I didn't, I'm not taking any chances. Better to be safe, than sorry. The last thing I want is to find out, an employee tested positive at the (such & such) place & I just got food there yesterday. Hell no!

Fiance' & I used to get takeout/fast food a LOT, but stopped cold turkey on March 26th. Do we still want to get food somewhere out there? Sure, but we're staying strong & not doing it.

Now that places are starting to have dine-in, we're still not doing any of it (takeout, curbside, etc.) anytime soon still.

I, too, wont' feel copletely safe again until a cure/vaccine is developed.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,691,899 times
Chances ARE !! Jhonny Mathis Song !!!

Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
I believe my County in PA is going to Green Phase on June 5th. We generally don't eat much at public restaurants but go to our Development's Restaurant or to our local Members Only VFW. We just got a notice from the Restaurant that all homeowners are being given a $75 vouchers for food. They have two floors of dining so I suppose they can limit number of customers at a time and social distancing.

The "V" would be more of a problem since it is small. While they do have tables near bar, and separate dining room, most people just eat at the bar side by side. Take away some of the bar stools to separate people? Couples as well? Everyone there knows your name and who is married or a SO to who. Sit 6 feet apart from each other?

Been inside their kitchen many times to just talk to cook and staff so I don't about worry at all about the state of the kitchen.

Looking forward to going back to BOTH.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We're going to wait a little while and let the restaurants work all the kinks out of the new rules and get the hang of it before we think about eating out.
though we are going out already, what you are saying does make good sense. We have a favorite Mexican restaurant right here in town, that has not yet opened up. Their reason is trying to make sure they are ready to serve all of us. They do still have curb pick up or walk in for pick up only.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:09 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
We've been a few times since things opened up here in Portugal. Next to the ocean, breeze, open air, spaced tables.

I wasn't going to, but felt so good to be out and being older, probably gonna die soon anyway, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness