Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 08:58 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I live in a state with a total of 167 people out of five million hospitalized for Covid. What numbers would you consider it safe to go to a restaurant? Zero cases? What number?

Restaurants cannot survive via takeout only and they can’t remain staffed at high rates which leads to job losses and business closures. The economic impact which has a direct, personal impact on real people’s lives is a factor to consider as well. Think about the common good as well.
You totally ignored the part where I said there is nothing stopping you from supporting the restaurants and getting your food to go. Better yet, get it delivered. Then you are supporting even more jobs. But you will never do that, because you don't really care about jobs or the businesses. You just care about YOU, and you only.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It is completely nonsensical to compare COVID 19 to auto accidents....they aren't even remotely comparable.

If I crash my car I'm not going to "infect" others into crashing their cars...a communicable disease is a multiplicative event...an "accident" is not.

If you fail to take proper precautions to avoid contracting a highly infectious disease, your failure to protect yourself not only affects YOU....it potentially affects everyone else you come in contact with...and everyone that THEY come in contact with and so on and so on...

What is so hard to understand about this???

No one NEEDS to eat out in a restaurant during a pandemic.....it's a "want" not a "need"

Sorry if you feel "put down" for making poor decisions but eating indoors in a restaurant during a pandemic, sharing the same air with other unmasked patrons to satisfy a "want" not a "need" is a poor decision no matter how you want to spin it....

I would again challenge anyone to find an infectious disease expert or epidemiologist who would themselves eat out indoors in a restaurant right now or recommend that others do the same..

Then ask yourself if experts who have devoted their lives to the study of infectious disease do not feel it is safe to eat in a restaurant why do YOU think it is safe???

Do you really think you know more about the current situation than these experts??
HOLY COW I was not the one who brought up the car accident comparison. Of course it is stupid to compare the 2. That is why I even bothered to respond,to show how unrelated the 2 are.

As for the original topic: as I and others have said, if you choose not to eat in a restaurant that is certainly your choice and I, for one respect people's choice. But if I choose to eat in a restaurant and you are not there, I am not hurting you in anyway. Why are do many people bound and determined there choice is the only right choice?

You can go through life living on the totally safe side and still drop dead tomorrow: others want to continue living as normal as possible, knowing we are not going to life forever. it is that simple.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:24 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You totally ignored the part where I said there is nothing stopping you from supporting the restaurants and getting your food to go. Better yet, get it delivered. Then you are supporting even more jobs. But you will never do that, because you don't really care about jobs or the businesses. You just care about YOU, and you only.
I responded to your part about getting food to go. Do you remember that when restaurants were to go only they had to cut staff by 80% or so. It’s not feasible for them to operate that way. They will eventually have to go out of business and there will have to be a major job loss. Did you also know that when you hire many delivery companies, it actually costs the restaurants more? The restaurant has to pay 15% to 30% so it’s not better in terms of helping keep the economy going.

Please answer my question which was, at what point will you consider it to be safe enough to eat out?

Old 08-17-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I responded to your part about getting food to go. Do you remember that when restaurants were to go only they had to cut staff by 80% or so. It’s not feasible for them to operate that way. They will eventually have to go out of business and there will have to be a major job loss. Did you also know that when you hire many delivery companies, it actually costs the restaurants more? The restaurant has to pay 15% to 30% so it’s not better in terms of helping keep the economy going.

Please answer my question which was, at what point will you consider it to be safe enough to eat out?
When the pandemic is over, of course. Which is likely to be a very long time, if people like you keep refusing to cooperate to end it.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:21 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
When the pandemic is over, of course. Which is likely to be a very long time, if people like you keep refusing to cooperate to end it.
So you’ll feel safe when it becomes and epidemic vs a a pandemic?

I wear a mask, we’ve limited trips outside the home. We social distance but I guess since I’ve been out to eat three times since March that means that I only care about myself and that I’m refusing to cooperate. Got it.

Hope you’re enjoying life 100% isolated and locked inside of your home. That’s the only way to stay safe apparently. Good thing you’re retired and don’t have to worry about your own income due to the economy.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Pray tell why it is so bad to eat out if we keep social distancing and our local restaurants follow the guide lines set up? You make it sound like the world will come to an end if people choose to eat out? It also sounds like you don't give a damn about how many people are put out of work or how many hard working private business owners lose everything they spent years developing? And don't bother to tell us you do care cause obviously you do not. Have you thought about how many are involved in getting meals to the tables? It is not just Mr and Mrs restaurant owner.

And again I will ask, as I have before who are those of us, who choose to keep the economy moving while enjoying socializing hurting? When will you understand there is nothing wrong with ideas that differ from your;s and when will you realize you are no being hurt because we choose to do things differently than you do?

Old 08-17-2020, 10:02 AM

382 posts, read 1,205,798 times
It will be a long time before we will attempt eating inside a restaurant. We will eat out somewhere if there is a large outdoor patio where the tables are adequately distanced, but these places are in demand and it can be hard to get in. I don't know anyone who is eating inside regularly but I'm in an over-55 community where most of my associates are in at-risk groups and are being very careful. Even so, there have been cases here, mainly among the golfers who will go out together after playing, and also among those who moved their mahjong, bridge and poker games to their homes when the clubhouse closed. It happens. We do continue to support the restaurants. We were never big on take-out before the pandemic, but we now order out several times a week, primarily to support the places we like. We're spending more on take-out food now than we did dining in at restaurant a couple of times a week. Several of our favorite small restaurants have chosen not to open up to diners at this time because they are doing well with take-out only, and they'd rather not have the risk.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Pray tell why it is so bad to eat out if we keep social distancing and our local restaurants follow the guide lines set up? You make it sound like the world will come to an end if people choose to eat out? It also sounds like you don't give a damn about how many people are put out of work or how many hard working private business owners lose everything they spent years developing? And don't bother to tell us you do care cause obviously you do not. Have you thought about how many are involved in getting meals to the tables? It is not just Mr and Mrs restaurant owner.

And again I will ask, as I have before who are those of us, who choose to keep the economy moving while enjoying socializing hurting? When will you understand there is nothing wrong with ideas that differ from your;s and when will you realize you are no being hurt because we choose to do things differently than you do?
Why are you asking me? You know damn well you are going to reject any information I give you. But I will spoon feed you the information anyway from the #1 health agency in the country. As to you other points I have already covered all of that. Go back and reread my posts. I'm not going to repeat it.

Quote:
Guiding Principles to Keep in Mind

The more an individual interacts with others, and the longer that interaction, the higher the risk of COVID-19 spread. The risk of COVID-19 spread increases in a restaurant or bar setting as follows:

Lowest Risk: Food service limited to drive-through, delivery, take-out, and curb-side pick up.

More Risk: Drive-through, delivery, take-out, and curb-side pick up emphasized. On-site dining limited to outdoor seating. Seating capacity reduced to allow tables to be spaced at least 6 feet apart.

Even More Risk: On-site dining with both indoor and outdoor seating. Seating capacity reduced to allow tables to be spaced at least 6 feet apart.'

Highest Risk: On-site dining with both indoor and outdoor seating. Seating capacity not reduced and tables not spaced at least 6 feet apart.
Considerations for Restaurants and Bars _ COVID-19 _ CDC

Old 08-17-2020, 01:30 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
The chart, and similar charts that are plastered are all over the Internet, are meaningless unless "Low risk, More risk, High risk," etc. are defined. Which, actually, they never are. No one knows if "High risk" means a 50% chance of contracting Covid in a given situation, which would be very bad--or a 1% risk, with everything else even lower.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
OK, the thread has run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness