Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 07:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times

Advertisements

This whole experience has made me realize just how much money I have wasted on eating out over the years. My last two credit card statements have been half of what they normally are.

$25 here, $40 there... it really adds up.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 1,599,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
COVID did an excellent job exposing the weak among us.

And the weak demand the rest of us act as they do.

Wear your masks and hide in your homes if you want, but leave the rest of us alone, please.
It's not just the weak:

"By May 5, over 10,000 meatpacking plant workers in 29 states and working at 170 plants had tested positive for the coronavirus. Why? Because they worked closely together in closed spaces. As of May 20, at least 15,300 workers have been infected with COVID-19...At least 63 of those workers have died from the disease..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact..._United_States

You don't care about making indoor places safer? If wearing masks at work saved 60 lives would that be too inconvenient for you?

Old 05-25-2020, 08:21 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

You couldn't pay me enough to go inside a restaurant, sit there, and eat. Even if someone isn't sitting near you and passing the virus around, there's the ventilation system to deal with. Sad, but true.

Great point....If you were in a restaurant and someone lit up a cigarette, how far would you have to "social distance" to avoid smelling the smoke? That's how far the bug can travel too.

Quote:
No reason to fear a disease with a 99.984% survival rate.

Unless you happen to be in the 0.o16% group (actually the survival rate is 99.5% over all-- but 75% of the deaths are in the over 65y/o group).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
. I'm ready for a yummy sushi.

I like sushi too--- if it's cooked right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
. Every worker had masks/gloves on.

Gloves protect the wearer, not the patrons. The constant shuffling about of the wait staff
merely ensures good, even mixing of the infected air in the joint.

Over 65 and you're taking a big chance frequenting a small, confined location filled with many people spreading hot air (and bugs) in their conversation with their companions.

Under 65 and you're at pretty low risk and doing a public service by socializing and getting exposed--- the epidemic won't end until 80%+ have been exposed and their infections resolved., making it safe for us oldfarts.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:26 AM

14,941 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I haven't eaten in a restaurant since all of this started, and to be honest, I haven't missed it at all. I was trying to think of something yesterday that I crave, and I really couldn't think of anything.

As far as outside dining, it's already hot here, and the thought of eating outside with gnats and flies in my face isn't appealing at all. No thanks.
That's why I'd prefer not to eat outside here. It's too hot and humid. Wintertime here is much more pleasant, but then it's also glutted with snowbirds.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Great point....If you were in a restaurant and someone lit up a cigarette, how far would you have to "social distance" to avoid smelling the smoke? That's how far the bug can travel too.

Unless you happen to be in the 0.o16% group (actually the survival rate is 99.5% over all-- but 75% of the deaths are in the over 65y/o group).

I like sushi too--- if it's cooked right.

Gloves protect the wearer, not the patrons. The constant shuffling about of the wait staff
merely ensures good, even mixing of the infected air in the joint.

Over 65 and you're taking a big chance frequenting a small, confined location filled with many people spreading hot air (and bugs) in their conversation with their companions.

Under 65 and you're at pretty low risk and doing a public service by socializing and getting exposed--- the epidemic won't end until 80%+ have been exposed and their infections resolved., making it safe for us oldfarts.
Thing is, at the best of times we avoid crowded places, large or small, and only partially because we recognize the potential for spread of respiratory diseases ( flu comes to mind, but also bad colds and other miseries). We just don't like being in crowds, and that is not about to change. Though we're also in that "old fart" category, we still plan to go out as we need or want to. We will take necessary precautions as suggested or requested by those we are visiting, or whose businesses we are patronizing. But we won't cater to the continued fear mongering, or to intimidation attempts to try and convince us to live in fear.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
This whole experience has made me realize just how much money I have wasted on eating out over the years. My last two credit card statements have been half of what they normally are.

$25 here, $40 there... it really adds up.
ROFL, there's that.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 AM

5,475 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

I think he arrived at his number simply by taking the death total as a percentage of total US population...ignoring the infection rate.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:09 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times
If you keep holed up on your bunker/home you are harming the small businesses who are already bleeding from this hysteria. The chances of catching this is diminishing as the weather warms. States are opening up. There is no reason to continue the lockdown unless you just LIKE doing that. Which is, i suspect the case for many. This illness has given a lot of people an identity either as a sick person, a potentially sick and delicate person or doknday soothsayer whose dire warnings all of us should finally heed.

We went into a restaurant and had our first meal yesterday. It was glorious. We even traveled on a plane out of state to do it.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
COVID did an excellent job exposing the weak among us.

And the weak demand the rest of us act as they do.

Wear your masks and hide in your homes if you want, but leave the rest of us alone, please.
People can do what they choose, my only preaching would be strengthen your immune system, so you can stay strong if it hits again, just like a flu hits every year. D3, C, Zinc, and for me grape seed extract as I've been hooked for decades.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
I haven't eaten in a restaurant since all of this started, and to be honest, I haven't missed it at all. I was trying to think of something yesterday that I crave, and I really couldn't think of anything.

As far as outside dining, it's already hot here, and the thought of eating outside with gnats and flies in my face isn't appealing at all. No thanks.
Most of us on here do enjoy cooking and do not eat out 24/7 but it is still nice to grab a bite, if at no other time than when we are out shopping. My hobby is and has always been cooking. That is why I majored in foods and nutrition in college, but I love the occasional break from time to time. Eating out side, that depends on the amount of shade available and not everyone lives in the land of gnats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness