Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 06:49 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My wife has diabetes and chronic kidney disease. I’ve already witnessed last rites performed for her once. I don’t want a repeat. I will be extremely cautious until there’s a vaccine. It’s not that hard for me I’ve never liked crowds. My life won’t have to change much.

I do need to figure out how to get a haircut soon.

Pick up a comb and scissors and do it yourself. I figured out that one in my mid-twenties and can hardly imagine how much money I've saved since.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:38 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Pick up a comb and scissors and do it yourself. I figured out that one in my mid-twenties and can hardly imagine how much money I've saved since.
I cut my husband's hair tonight. Technically, I just used a clippers with a couple of different guard lengths, because his hair is short and relatively thin. I've never done it before, so I was a little nervous at first, but it actually turned out pretty good. He was very happy with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing it from here on out.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:50 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
My husband and I are in our mid=60's, so we will continue to self-quarantine, only going grocery shopping about once a month.

However, we are going to be selling our current home in Colorado this summer and then moving to our currently-being-built retirement home in Wisconsin that is due to be completed in August, so we intend for our voluntary self-quarantine to end by July 1st, at the latest.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:20 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Healthy people SHOULD go out, especially those whom are very health conscious. Elderly and anyone at risk, in my opinion, are free to do so but should assume the risk. I think its much more unhealthy if we all remain in constant fear and panic, paranoia. We endure so many risk everyday, that it baffles me that there's those whom speak and act as if this virus is the only virus that poses a threat to us. As if the only threat to us is the virus! We endure the risk of life everyday. Its not to say be careless and wreckless of course but to act as if this virus is hiding in the bushes, waiting to attack us is ludicrous. Danger lurks at every corner, we can try and minimize those risk but they are there no matter what.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:24 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Nope, but Massachusetts won't open up until it's safe to do so (unlike Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, and others).

Most of my social circle is in Boston (where I live) and the NY tristate area (where most of my college friends ended up). While young people fare better, I know dozens of people in their 20s and early 30s who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and many have been sick for 2, 3, even 4 weeks despite being healthy with no preexisting conditions. A couple who I have known for a decade both got sick after exposure at work and their 4 year old became incredibly ill for 2 weeks. They couldn't hold her or comfort her for fear of increasing their viral loads and getting even sicker. Can you imagine?

Until the number of cases is low enough to contact trace, it's not worth going out. I'm going to a local farm store where they'll place food directly into my trunk once every 2 or 3 weeks, and that's it.
That's why you can't judge one state's actions by your local situation. You know "dozens" of people in their 20s and 30s with COVID. I don't think I know a dozen people in that age group. Heck you know people who have it than have it in our whole county so far.

For us, we don't have many places to go anyway. Can't get out and do what I want anyway because it's been raining about every day.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:43 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's why you can't judge one state's actions by your local situation. You know "dozens" of people in their 20s and 30s with COVID. I don't think I know a dozen people in that age group. Heck you know people who have it than have it in our whole county so far.

For us, we don't have many places to go anyway. Can't get out and do what I want anyway because it's been raining about every day.

Well, it certainly helps that I'm both in my early 30s and have a very active professional, volunteer, and social life. I'm still in touch with many friends from college, who make up about half of those in that age group who I know. I have quite a few coworkers who have been sick as well, but they don't fall into the lowest risk age groups.

In quite a few cases I noted, the people weren't actually tested but they had the symptoms after a roommate or spouse tested positive. Thankfully, at least here in Massachusetts, it's gotten much easier to get tests but that's only fairly recently. Before, you had to be pretty sick. Most states are still in the "you have to be pretty sick" phase.

I'll just note that on the day I went into lockdown on March 13, there were only a bit more than 100 diagnoses in Massachusetts and no deaths. When the state shut down nonessential businesses on March 24, 11 people had died and 1159 people had positive coronavirus diagnoses.

Now, we have more than 3000 deaths and 60,000 diagnoses.

I don't much trust states that are opening up now when they are still on the uptick and have no reasonable plan for testing and tracing. We were well-seeded in Massachusetts early - and now other states are right where we were and are opening up.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:09 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Yes
No
And maybe.

Yes I'll continue to get provisions.
No I won't be going Willy nilly with exposure.

And maybe I'll be confident that folks will use sensible reasoning .

Old 04-30-2020, 05:00 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
^^^Good advice.

With 75% of the deaths occurring in those over 65y/o, and our best hope is to achieve herd immunity rapidly, it's almost a patriotic duty for younger folks to go out and take their chances. Older people should still limit their public appearances to those of necessity and protect themselves with masks.

As John Wayne's writers had him say, "Courage is being scared as hell, but saddling up anyways."
Go for it!

I'll hold your beer.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:22 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
I suspect we'll continue to self quarantine. We've got enough honey do's to outlast this crisis.

After moving and downsizing, we have to figure out how to sell furniture on F/B Marketplace and keeping social distancing with the customers.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:41 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
We'll continue doing what we are doing now. We make a couple shopping trips a month, might go to Home Depot for needed stuff, but that's about it. We have a large property, and have plenty to keep ourselves occupied. We do take off hiking and stuff. Will continue wearing masks. We don't eat out a lot anyway, and we won't eat out once things start opening up.

We will do that for a couple months, say through the end of June and see what is going on at that time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness