Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times

Advertisements

https://apnews.com/0962c6141ed2413cb329ff49faff30bf

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — People with severe but stable heart disease from clogged arteries may have less chest pain if they get a procedure to improve blood flow rather than just giving medicines a chance to help, but it won’t cut their risk of having a heart attack or dying over the following few years, a big federally funded study found.

To me this just proves that the clogged arteries theory of heart disease is just wrong. If these procedures do not help (but are massive cash cows for the health industry) then something else causes heart attacks and clogs are simply a red herring.

But but, if this isn't the problem... what is?

There are plenty of theories out there that do not lead to a massive cash cow for the medical industry. I only hope people start paying attention.

My pick is the myogenic theory. Basically it says that the heart is unique -it is both a muscle and an organ. No other organs are both. As you age your heart gets less of the nutrients it needs... like all muscles as it starts to atrophy it sloughs off dying cells -- this is what causes clogs -- only around the heart. This muscle death leads to problems like a-fib, heart failure and eventually -- under stress a heart attack. They key to avoiding this, making sure your heart has the nutrients it needs... cardiotonics. Well what are cardiotonics? There are natural ones such as hawthorn but your body makes them on your own... from what? Cholesterol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 11:28 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
OP: Good post and I heard about this latest info on NPR the other day. And how so many go to the stents (cash cow) and they are no better off than not going there.

I continue with my herbals and heart supports which are NOT from pharma.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:01 PM

451 posts, read 423,547 times
i had a heart attack in 2017. A stent saved my life. The study if I am correct showed stents are life savers in blockages causing HA.

If there is a smaller not heavily closed up blockage in an artery the study said diet and medicines can be just as or more so effective in preventing death

But hard to deny that blockages in heart arteries lead to heart attacks.
if any one has high cholesterol and or family history of heart attacks (my father and uncles had them) not a bad idea to go get heart stress tests once in awhile.

Best of luck with herbal methods.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:10 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
i had a heart attack in 2017. A stent saved my life. The study if I am correct showed stents are life savers in blockages causing HA.

If there is a smaller not heavily closed up blockage in an artery the study said diet and medicines can be just as or more so effective in preventing death

if any one has high cholesterol and or family history of heart attacks (my father and uncles had them) not a bad idea to go get heart stress tests once in awhile.

It's just not herbals, but minerals and other supplements to keep our hearts healthy. Did you take any supports prior to H.A.? Most I say Do Not. There is so much info to absorb on heart health.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:23 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:

I don't think this study applied to those who have stents placed into blocked arteries that have caused heart attacks. There is no question those have saved lives.

As understand the study, they're talking about blockages somewhere in the ranges between 70 and 90% blockage, discovered during a cardiac cath to investigate symptoms such as stable angina ( chest discomfort/pain with exercise), shortness of breath.

No doubt the stents are a revenue generator, it ought to be interesting to see the debate among interventional cardiologists regarding pros and cons of stent placement vs. medication and life style modifications to improve the symptoms and the blockages. But since the study also stated the stents improved the symptoms of the blockages, I'd imagine stents under those circumstances might be touted as inprovements to "quality of life" , and the choices of stents of medications left up to patients.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:33 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:

No herbal crap for me

I had a 5 way Coronary Artery Bypass 40 years ago. My arteries were 95 and 98% blocked. The surgery saved my life.

This study is wonderful, but I was too far gone with too little time left (in my 40s) to try anything else

With a regimen of statins, Zetia, fish oil exercise and diet, my bypass grafts are still squeaky clean (per my last angiogram and stress tests) and my total cholesterol is less than +/- 100

This is why doctors keep every option open

Old 11-17-2019, 02:56 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No herbal crap for me

I had a 5 way Coronary Artery Bypass 40 years ago. My arteries were 95 and 98% blocked. The surgery saved my life.

This study is wonderful, but I was too far gone with too little time left (in my 40s) to try anything else

With a regimen of statins, Zetia, fish oil exercise and diet, my bypass grafts are still squeaky clean (per my last angiogram and stress tests) and my total cholesterol is less than +/- 100

This is why doctors keep every option open
Kinda points out, IMO, the need for taking patient findings (in this case, coronary arteries blocked to,a significant extent), on a case by case basis. Even with findings such as were stated in this study, one could never say never in regards to CABG for blocked arteries, even when the person has not yet had a heart attack. For such patients, a killer heart attack might very well be just around the corner.

And as for stents for those with symptoms associated with blocked arteries even when they've not had heart attacks, there's definite value in improving such a patient's quality of life.

IMO it's similar to quality of life considerations in implantation of cardiac pacemakers for sick sinus syndrome. Studies have shown, they say, that pacemakers don't significantly prolong life in patients with sick sinus syndrome. But I can attest to the immense improvement in that quality of life when the heart rate is high enough, with the pacemaker, to ensure adequate perfusion of the brain amd other organs, and to carry out the normal activities of life.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:51 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Kinda points out, IMO, the need for taking patient findings (in this case, coronary arteries blocked to,a significant extent), on a case by case basis. Even with findings such as were stated in this study, one could never say never in regards to CABG for blocked arteries, even when the person has not yet had a heart attack. For such patients, a killer heart attack might very well be just around the corner.

And as for stents for those with symptoms associated with blocked arteries even when they've not had heart attacks, there's definite value in improving such a patient's quality of life.

IMO it's similar to quality of life considerations in implantation of cardiac pacemakers for sick sinus syndrome. Studies have shown, they say, that pacemakers don't significantly prolong life in patients with sick sinus syndrome. But I can attest to the immense improvement in that quality of life when the heart rate is high enough, with the pacemaker, to ensure adequate perfusion of the brain amd other organs, and to carry out the normal activities of life.
The killer heart attack was just around the corner for my dad. He had never had a heart attack, but there is a terrible history of atherosclerotic heart disease in his family. He went to his internist because he was having chest pain which he thought was just worsening of his "indigestion". An EKG was abnormal and he was across the street and in the cath lab in a matter of minutes. He coded in the lab, was resuscitated, and had emergency bypass surgery. He lived many good years after that.

Had his internist not been astute enough to do the EKG my dad could have been one of those who drops dead leaving the doctor's office or ER.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:08 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Duke researchers concluded 15 years ago that stents don’t
extend mortality, right?

Old 11-17-2019, 04:53 PM

451 posts, read 423,547 times
Default they extended mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Duke researchers concluded 15 years ago that stents don’t
extend mortality, right?

Im alive due to emergency stent placement. i guess my mortality was extended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness