Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 02:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree. I suspect there would be a lot fewer closed threads and infractions here if people who make these boasts refrained from tacking on their little dig at "traditional" medicine. If they limited their replies to an actual answer to the question and avoided the snarky tirade most people would live and let live. BUT, I also suspect the people who can't control themselves are endlessly seeking excuses to state their agendas...if they didn't poke the bear and no one else reacted, they wouldn't get what they truly desire; an excuse to quarrel or play long-suffering martyr holding up the flag in the face of persecution. What else would they do with their days?
Your words hold true for the "others" and all sides of medicine here.... My info has been attacked here no matter where I post, here, Alt Med, Supplements, Daily Journal...makes no difference.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:24 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Pretty sure, as with Jamin, I have pretty much aged out of all these screenings; and not because all my testing has been negative.

Medicare? lol Never hear from them at all. Fine with me. They don't send that yearly Medicare and You book probably because I have never submitted a claim to them. My husband finds this shocking that I don't receive anything from Medicare. Well, if you have never used it, why would they send you anything? Blank pages? When they changed from your Social Security number, I wasn't sent a new number and card.

I have never in my entire life had a Primary Care Physician, including in my younger years; only a OB/GYN and stopped seeing one of those in my 30's when I didn't need to take BC pills, or having babies, any longer.

Life long for me. Nothing I just decided in my old age. We DO exist.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree. I suspect there would be a lot fewer closed threads and infractions here if people who make these boasts refrained from tacking on their little dig at "traditional" medicine. If they limited their replies to an actual answer to the question and avoided the snarky tirade most people would live and let live. BUT, I also suspect the people who can't control themselves are endlessly seeking excuses to state their agendas...if they didn't poke the bear and no one else reacted, they wouldn't get what they truly desire; an excuse to quarrel or play long-suffering martyr holding up the flag in the face of persecution. What else would they do with their days?
We aren't playing martyr when we aren't suffering and sick. We don't respond to those kinds of threads.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:08 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We aren't playing martyr when we aren't suffering and sick. We don't respond to those kinds of threads.
You might want to check with some of your like-minded friends on that. One in particular derails threads that have nothing to do with holistic, non-traditional medicine, with her anti western medicine, pro supplement, “try this cream” yammering.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:41 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Pretty sure, as with Jamin, I have pretty much aged out of all these screenings; and not because all my testing has been negative.

Medicare? lol Never hear from them at all. Fine with me. They don't send that yearly Medicare and You book probably because I have never submitted a claim to them. My husband finds this shocking that I don't receive anything from Medicare. Well, if you have never used it, why would they send you anything? Blank pages? When they changed from your Social Security number, I wasn't sent a new number and card.

I have never in my entire life had a Primary Care Physician, including in my younger years; only a OB/GYN and stopped seeing one of those in my 30's when I didn't need to take BC pills, or having babies, any longer.

Life long for me. Nothing I just decided in my old age. We DO exist.
Jo48 - with all due respect, basically I have always felt like you do, always felt strong and healthy, almost invincible. While it is true I don't want to have unnecessary tests, I also have to allow for emergencies beyond our control. I was hospitalized this week for blood clot - out of the blue. Pretty sure it's covered by Medicare but have other insurance as well. You just can't assume you will never need a hospital - no matter how healthy you feel, you can have an accident or other emergency health issue. I would urge you to keep up with Medicare, you may be glad you did some day. As far as PCP, I am going to be using a doctor from a walk-in care center rather than a large Physician group. I think this is a happy medium.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:57 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't believe I ever say NEVER but one has to have a strong positive belief that they won't and feel strong about what they do for themselves and their path to prevention. I got good words back in 1995 and those words have stuck with me on the antioxidants and cancer prevention.

I've been posting my words on this but not enough I guess. Wish some doctors posted my words. Maybe others would believe them.
Oh, they're definitely enough.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:59 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,140 times
I'm in my 30s but don't do cervical cancer screening/pap smears because I find it too stressful.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...r-7577967.html

The article above is written by a female physician who doesn't recommend pap smears and doesn't get them.

I don't smoke, don't drink much, eat healthy, get my nutrient levels tested every couple of years, and walk daily. There are many ways to prevent cancer, I choose to focus on that and hope it's enough.

Last edited by Carly1983; 08-30-2019 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-30-2019, 04:29 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm interested in hearing about what screening tests people are still doing or have stopped doing, and their reasons.

However, I find the recurrent self-congratulatory theme of "I never do screening tests and I'll never get cancer because I'm so smart and my way is better" to be boring and dangerous.

No one who finds out they have breast or colon cancer ever says, "My, I'm glad I skipped those screenings. I was certainly smarter than those doctors." You only hear that nonsense from people who haven't had breast or colon cancer...which, by the way, is MOST people, whether they do screenings or not.

Excellent post. The self-fulfilling prophesy. They wouldn't be bragging if they had gotten sick, and all the research shows that cancer is 95% chance -- the other 5% is life-style &/or genetics.

[quote=Carly1983;56063199]I'm in my 30s but don't do cervical cancer screening/pap smears because I find it too stressful.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...r-7577967.html

quote]

The author of that article has very poor judgement and little ability to analyze and use statistical evidence. The fact is, death rate from cervical cancer dropped precipitously after the development of the Pap Smear. Cervical ca is close to 100% curable when found by routine screening and death rate very high when diagnosis is delayed until the pt is symptomatic. Prior to Pap smear, cervical cancer was the leading cause of death due to malignancy in women.

She's right about one point: there's a fairly high rate of "false positives." But that's good for a screening test. If cancer was found on every positive test, that would mean you're missing a lot of false negative cases.

Pap smear fits the definition of "screening test" perfectly-- a test that is inexpensive, easy to do and has a high rate of finding a common disease.

Colonoscopy is another problem. OTOH- finding a malignant polyp early virtually cures the pt and warms that more frequent surveying is necessary, BUT- colonoscopy is not cheap (~$5Gs when all is said and done) and not particularly easy with significant risk of side effects in older folks (from the prep). ... The total cost of all the colonoscopies that have to be done tp prevent one large colon mass requiring surgery is more than the cost of that surgery. This is a case where it doesn't make sense from the public health standpoint, but does from the personal care POV.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,140 times
Quote:
The author of that article has very poor judgement and little ability to analyze and use statistical evidence. The fact is, death rate from cervical cancer dropped precipitously after the development of the Pap Smear. Cervical ca is close to 100% curable when found by routine screening and death rate very high when diagnosis is delayed until the pt is symptomatic. Prior to Pap smear, cervical cancer was the leading cause of death due to malignancy in women.

She's right about one point: there's a fairly high rate of "false positives." But that's good for a screening test. If cancer was found on every positive test, that would mean you're missing a lot of false negative cases.

Pap smear fits the definition of "screening test" perfectly-- a test that is inexpensive, easy to do and has a high rate of finding a common disease.

Colonoscopy is another problem. OTOH- finding a malignant polyp early virtually cures the pt and warms that more frequent surveying is necessary, BUT- colonoscopy is not cheap (~$5Gs when all is said and done) and not particularly easy with significant risk of side effects in older folks (from the prep). ... The total cost of all the colonoscopies that have to be done tp prevent one large colon mass requiring surgery is more than the cost of that surgery. This is a case where it doesn't make sense from the public health standpoint, but does from the personal care POV.

I'm still not going for pap smears. I hate them to the point of feeling a bit traumatised afterwards.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
You might want to check with some of your like-minded friends on that. One in particular derails threads that have nothing to do with holistic, non-traditional medicine, with her anti western medicine, pro supplement, “try this cream” yammering.
I don't do holistic, non-traditional medicine myself. Have said that many, many times. However, if that floats your boat, it is fine with me. We agree on non-traditional medicine, which include NO medicine if that is what we choose. We are in agreement that modern, preventative medicine is purely a money making deal.

Everyone over a certain age must get this or that test. What is the percentage of all people tested versus those who actually have those diseases? VERY SMALL. Yet, all these tests have to be paid for. What percentage of all women getting a mammogram will have breast cancer? What percentage of all people getting colonoscrophies will have polps or cancer? It is not a given that all ever will.

Last edited by Jo48; 08-30-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness