Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 11:59 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yeah, Jamin, you and I are still alive and kickin in our old age. No? We may have different paths achieving the same end, but it is not what mainstream calls for.

They need to SILENCE us so others don't get any contrary views?
Is that what this forum does by dissenting? This dissent actually silences you? Why paint yourself as a victim?

We all make our own decisions, rather by way of tradition, science, contrariness, folklore, or voodoo...carry on!

Old 08-30-2019, 12:11 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I'm interested in hearing about what screening tests people are still doing or have stopped doing, and their reasons.

However, I find the recurrent self-congratulatory theme of "I never do screening tests and I'll never get cancer because I'm so smart and my way is better" to be boring and dangerous.

No one who finds out they have breast or colon cancer ever says, "My, I'm glad I skipped those screenings. I was certainly smarter than those doctors." You only hear that nonsense from people who haven't had breast or colon cancer...which, by the way, is MOST people, whether they do screenings or not.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:16 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm interested in hearing about what screening tests people are still doing or have stopped doing, and their reasons.

However, I find the recurrent self-congratulatory theme of "I never do screening tests and I'll never get cancer because I'm so smart and my way is better" to be boring and dangerous.

No one who finds out they have breast or colon cancer ever says, "My, I'm glad I skipped those screenings. I was certainly smarter than those doctors." You only hear that nonsense from people who haven't had breast or colon cancer...which, by the way, is MOST people, whether they do screenings or not.

Honestly, I skip years on certain things. I usually get my pap, mammogram and eye doctor ever couple years. I'm not advising that, I'm just lazy. I have to see my regular doctors often enough that sometimes I skip the less urgent ones.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-30-2019, 12:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:

I don't believe I ever say NEVER but one has to have a strong positive belief that they won't and feel strong about what they do for themselves and their path to prevention. I got good words back in 1995 and those words have stuck with me on the antioxidants and cancer prevention.

I've been posting my words on this but not enough I guess. Wish some doctors posted my words. Maybe others would believe them.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:09 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Can't the health insurance company force you to have screenings - is not having regular screenings a cause for cancellation of one's policy? I was just wondering about that.
An insurance company can't force a policyholder to undergo testing, screening or otherwise. I've seen where they encourage it by sending brochures, or other information to a policyholder about specific screenings. They won't cancel a policy because the policyholder didn't get screening testing done.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Well, I'd agree with you, but I suppose "I never do screening tests because I loathe all things connected to the medical establishment and just know my way is superior" is just another reason people give for foregoing medical screening tests. It's a choice, but what I've always found puzzling is the apparent need on the part of some to endlessly find fault with,and attempt to discredit those tests, the medical establishment, and those who do participate in such practices.

Those of us who have had screening testing over the years do so to be reasonably sure we're free of the conditions or illnesses for which we are screened. Doing so leaves us either with a sense of relief at the negative test results, or if the results are positive, hopefully being able to treat ( and perhaps eradicate) the disease in an early stage. Screening recommendations are made for individuals at higher risk of the disease or condition ( depending on the test, by virtue of age, social activity, ethnicity, to name a few) and with any number of those tests, a person beyond a certain age is considered no longer at a high risk, so the recommendations no longer apply.

Like my age and the PAP smear. And a screening colonoscopy at age 80.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't believe I ever say NEVER but one has to have a strong positive belief that they won't and feel strong about what they do for themselves and their path to prevention. I got good words back in 1995 and those words have stuck with me on the antioxidants and cancer prevention.

I've been posting my words on this but not enough I guess. Wish some doctors posted my words. Maybe others would believe them.
LOL, if a doctor posted your words, YOU wouldn't believe them.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:57 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, if a doctor posted your words, YOU wouldn't believe them.
Your comment is so not the case, if doctors thought like me and posted my type words, they would NOT have sick patients and incomes.

That's why very legit MD's have gone out of their major practices and go on lecture tours, write books, write blogs, Newsletters etc. I love to subscribe to these MD's. They are out there spending their time and energy on enlightening people.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:07 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Agree. I suspect there would be a lot fewer closed threads and infractions here if people who make these boasts refrained from tacking on their little dig at "traditional" medicine. If they limited their replies to an actual answer to the question and avoided the snarky tirade most people would live and let live. BUT, I also suspect the people who can't control themselves are endlessly seeking excuses to state their agendas...if they didn't poke the bear and no one else reacted, they wouldn't get what they truly desire; an excuse to quarrel or play long-suffering martyr holding up the flag in the face of persecution. What else would they do with their days?

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-30-2019 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-30-2019, 02:11 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Your comment is so not the case, if doctors thought like me and posted my type words, they would NOT have sick patients and incomes.
There are no words.

Quote:
That's why very legit MD's have gone out of their major practices and go on lecture tours, write books, write blogs, Newsletters etc. They are out there spending their time and energy on enlightening people.
They're no longer making money? They are just volunteering their time to enlighten people for free, out of the goodness of their hearts?

Quote:
I love to subscribe to these MD's.
They love people like you, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness