Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I've always prided myself in not needing caffeine. Prior to age 30, I only had coffee seldomly and more for leisure purposes. I always wake up feeling ready to go. Now, after having kids, life have changed. Biggest change after having kids is I'm constantly tired 24/7. Doesn't matter if I get 8 hours of sleep or not, I wake up tired and grumpy. Caffeine does help. However, I'm afraid I'm going to end up dependent on it for the rest of my life because of my kids
I’ve been drinking coffee daily for probably 60+ years, started very young. Once, when I was up to 2.4L/day, I decided to stop, cold turkey. I started getting bad headaches about 10 AM every morning and, when I realized it was because of the way I quit, I started drinking again and slowly tapered off over about a month or so. I went without coffee for a couple more months with no observable difference except that I really missed it. I went to the med school library where I was working at the time and did searches on harmful side effects of coffee consumption. There was very little of any significance to be found. So, I started back drinking it again. What I did discover however is after weaning myself of it that one time, I can now miss my morning coffee and suffer no ill effects. It is really my only vice and I can think of many that are much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 11:28 AM

123 posts, read 101,444 times
Quote:
I'm constantly tired 24/7.Doesn't matter if I get 8 hours of sleep or not, I wake up tired and grumpy. This is not healthy or Normal.

Caffeine does help. However, I'm afraid I'm going to end up dependent on it for the rest of my life because of my kids

99.9% of of people don't have a problem being dependent on caffeine; Dependent meaning, they want caffeine in the morning but other than being slightly less happy and maybe a little more sleepy in the morning, there are no problems.

The 24/7 tiredness (unless you're exaggerating...having kids is tiring for just about everyone) is the problem. Not the caffeine.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:26 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I am dependent on my two morning cups of coffee. Without them life wouldn't be worth living.... (and no one in my vicinity would be safe!) I find I have enough energy with my two cups every morning and can also still sleep most nights. So that's what works for me.

I also have a diet coke or two on late nights out, to help me get through the evening. Usually only twice a month or so.

If you're concerned, then cut back. Running around after tiny humans can be draining, maybe try to look for alternatives. And nap when they nap! Or have them lay in bed with you and read a book while you nap (that's what my sister does with her 4 year old).
Agree. I drink one cup a day and I look forward to it. Gets me out of bed.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
I've always prided myself in not needing caffeine. Prior to age 30, I only had coffee seldomly and more for leisure purposes. I always wake up feeling ready to go. Now, after having kids, life have changed. Biggest change after having kids is I'm constantly tired 24/7. Doesn't matter if I get 8 hours of sleep or not, I wake up tired and grumpy. Caffeine does help. However, I'm afraid I'm going to end up dependent on it for the rest of my life because of my kids
That sounds like me before my hypothyroidism diagnosis. It’s a simple blood test. I’d tell my doctor what’s going on, and get the blood test.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
I didn’t drink caffeine before kids (or very rarely...maybe one coke every couple weeks). Now I consume at least 250mg of caffeine a day. I figure eventually they’ll grow up and I’ll cut down again but in the meantime it allows me to function on a daily basis with a full time job and a small child.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Usually an average of 400mg caffeine a day for me. My big weakness is iced coffee and Pepsi zero sugar. I also like energy drinks a bit too much. Water, around 40 ounces a day. I think the caffeine addiction became more psychological when I was driving through snowstorms and ground blizzards in the dark and focusing my full attention on the task at hand. Nicotine is a much more sizable addiction than caffeine.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a morning coffee habit being a reason for divorce, job loss, or losing custody of one's kids. Nor have I heard of someone reduced to thievery or homelessness because they drink coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
If you are getting a true 8 hours of quality sleep a night, you may want to check with your doctor just to make sure it's not something else, like a sluggish thyroid or sleep apnea.
That's a good point...A Sleep study may be in order. It could be that the OP's body has physically changed and that she now has sleep apnea. Or that her kids wake her in the night or she doesn't realize that she's woken up when they flush the toilet, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Your panic attacks were not caused by caffeine, they were exacerbated by caffeine. Caffeine does not cause panic attacks.
Six of one, half dozen of another. Alcohol doesn't cause anxiety but if you have anxiety drinking can make it worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't trust scientific reports as research scientists can be more corrupt than politicians. Think back to the 30's, 40's, 50's: There's no immediate dangers to smoking tobacco.

I read a book on the history of coffee/caffeine and I learned there's a 7 story research center in Paris, dedicated to caffeine research. All those with caffeine in their products subscribe to this research center. And God forbid that any negative info on caffeine should reach this center, as they'll be crucified.

Since 35% of our coffee comes from Vietnam, a research scientist once questioned the safety of coffee coming from a country where chemical weapons were dumped on this country, and he was silenced very quickly.

Think of yourself as a scientist at this research center, paid big bucks, and you discovered something negative in your research. Blab about it and you get yourself a pink slip!

Yes, caffeine is a drug, but I drink it all day long, in small amounts, and whether or not it's detrimental to my health, my ears are plugged. As for the OP, I wouldn't worry about it.
I've seen people with emphysema, wheeling around oxygen tanks, that have had their lungs cut out in part due to cancer from smoking. I'm sure that there are people that have contributed to their own conditions regarding hypertension or whatever from drinking too much coffee but I can't say that I've met many folks that lived to ripe old age that didn't drink coffee in the mornings, and have known some that enjoy it in the morning, after bridge club, with desert, etc...

Old 08-28-2019, 05:51 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:

Ah come on, don't blame the kids!

Biggest negative I see, potentially, is that you're modeling drug using behavior for them.

My wife and I never partook of alcohol, caffeine, pharmaceuticals or anything around our kid. Well, not at all for that matter.

Maybe some people really "need" caffeine, I don't know. My sisters both guzzle it every day, but I'm WAY more productive than either one of them without it.

Edit: Perhaps explore what the underlying problem is? Certainly it isn't a lack of caffeine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness