Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 AM

989 posts, read 772,706 times

Advertisements

My old Pacemaker, (St. Jude's) is "finally" reaching it's Due By Date and up for replacement. It has lasted from 2006 - Now, that is an amazing 13 years of basically trouble free service (After stabilization programming was completed in 2007). As I am 100% Paced on my Ventricle, because of 3rd Degree Heart Block, that is not bad at all.

After a routine check on Friday 8-9-2019 found it to be getting to the end of it's life, it has already been scheduled for 8-15-2019 this week with a pre-op tomorrow.

That is not bad service at all. Hopefully all will go as planned (Well), and I will be alive an kicking on Friday 8-16-2019. It is scheduled as an Outpatient surgery.

Anyone else here had this procedure, replacement that is as opposed to initial insertion?

Old 08-14-2019, 03:17 PM

713 posts, read 2,722,061 times
My mother had her first pacemaker/defib replaced. It was weird to hear the first one 'beep' as the battery died. She did just fine. I wish you well.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:14 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,766,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
My old Pacemaker, (St. Jude's) is "finally" reaching it's Due By Date and up for replacement. It has lasted from 2006 - Now, that is an amazing 13 years of basically trouble free service (After stabilization programming was completed in 2007). As I am 100% Paced on my Ventricle, because of 3rd Degree Heart Block, that is not bad at all.

After a routine check on Friday 8-9-2019 found it to be getting to the end of it's life, it has already been scheduled for 8-15-2019 this week with a pre-op tomorrow.

That is not bad service at all. Hopefully all will go as planned (Well), and I will be alive an kicking on Friday 8-16-2019. It is scheduled as an Outpatient surgery.

Anyone else here had this procedure, replacement that is as opposed to initial insertion?
I take it your procedure went well, since you've posted in the last couple of days.

I was just curious, if you don't mind sharing, what caused your 3rd degree heart block?

Old 08-23-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I take it your procedure went well, since you've posted in the last couple of days.

I was just curious, if you don't mind sharing, what caused your 3rd degree heart block?
I just woke up one morning with a pulse of 24.

Doctors do not have a clue really, as it is an electrical problem, and as I have had arrhythmias since birth, they suspect that it was caused by a congenital defect.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Doctors do not have a clue really, as it is an electrical problem, and as I have had arrhythmias since birth, they suspect that it was caused by a congenital defect.
I see - thanks for your reply.

Heart block is something I began learning about - and worrying about - just within the last year and a half in conjunction with my own arrhythmias that became persistent afib last September. I take a beta-blocker twice a day for rate control and one of its listed possible side effects is heart block.

But it's keeping my rate at an average of 72, so I guess I have little to no reason for concern....at least for now. Doesn't stop me from worrying, though, when I have too little to distract me from it.

This is all new to me, as I spent 66 years feeling immortal. I hate getting old.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I see - thanks for your reply.

Heart block is something I began learning about - and worrying about - just within the last year and a half in conjunction with my own arrhythmias that became persistent afib last September. I take a beta-blocker twice a day for rate control and one of its listed possible side effects is heart block.

But it's keeping my rate at an average of 72, so I guess I have little to no reason for concern....at least for now. Doesn't stop me from worrying, though, when I have too little to distract me from it.

This is all new to me, as I spent 66 years feeling immortal. I hate getting old.
There are a few levels of Heart bock, you should read about them. But please do not worry or stress about it, you have no control, that only makes things worse. I have learnt not to worry anymore... until I am actually in the docs office....

Old 08-23-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
There are a few levels of Heart bock, you should read about them. But please do not worry or stress about it, you have no control, that only makes things worse. I have learnt not to worry anymore... until I am actually in the docs office....
Yes, I have read about them, thanks. And the gist I get is that it's rare for a drug to cause anything beyond 1st degree block, which isn't too worrisome. And that it's usually reversible upon stopping the drug. Of course, I can't stop the drug as that would be life-threatening with afib.

Don't mind me, I'm just being dragged kicking and screaming into this old age thing. Hate being on any drugs. Vowed I'd never let it happen. I'd guess, though, I'm probably not the first forced to break that vow.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:11 PM

15,051 posts, read 12,254,865 times
Quote:

So I guess your pacemaker replacement went without a hitch?

From what I've read/heard, generally when the pacemaker generator is replaced, the leads from the first pacemaker stay in place and the new generator is attached to those leads, and the surgery is an easy one. Though for some reason (I don't know why), there is a higher risk of a pocket infection with pacer replacements compared to the initial implant. You probably know this, and your providers instructed you well in how to care for the incision and things to watch for with possible infections, but those can apparently occur some time after the replacement.

I'm a pacemaker newbie myself, having gotten my first pacemaker a bit over two months ago. It's also a St. Jude dual chamber model.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:59 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,028,605 times
Hubby's 1st pacemaker lasted 7 years....his current one is predicted to last about 10-13.....he's totally paced, too. Yes..the leads stay, only the unit itself is replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness