Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I live in Southern California and am out in the sun a lot, and to be honest, I am not at all good about wearing sunscreen. I went many years without wearing it at all. Now I try to remember to rub a little on my face if I know I am going to be outside, but often I forget.

My D3 level was tested last month and was 48.

I have two brothers who live in northwest Washington and are pasty white because they rarely see the sun, they never use sunscreen, and they've both had skin cancers. One sister has faithfully put on sunscreen every day for many years and she's had three BCCs. I rarely use suncreen, am in the sun a lot, and have had two now. I honestly think it is somehow genetic for our family because there doesn't seem to be any other common factor. It would be nice if there was some magic way to prevent it other than having the dermatologist freeze off tiny spots as soon as they appear. My current BCC is under my eyebrow and I just didn't notice it until too late.
Most sun damage is when you're under the age of 20, and even under the age of 10. NOW most parents slather their kids up with sunscreen. But as a kid in the 60's and 70's I slathered up with BABY OIL and spritzed myself with water all summer! Fair skin, blue eyes...and lots of freckles that are age spots now.

So yeah, use sunscreen as an adult but don't think that makes you safe. I'm pasty white now but just had Mohs (3 layers) on my nose and it was NOT pretty. Freezing off little spots - that's for wimps! For women there is no excuse to not use an SPF30 moisturizer EVERY SINGLE morning - whether it is sunny or not or winter or summer, regardless of your plans to be outside or not. JUST DO IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 07:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I know one thing and I don't sit in the sun like I did for many years and never used sunscreens, if I were doing sun today I would be using sunscreens from health food stores that are free of the chemicals as in the commercial brands.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know one thing and I don't sit in the sun like I did for many years and never used sunscreens, if I were doing sun today I would be using sunscreens from health food stores that are free of the chemicals as in the commercial brands.
^^^ me too

Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There was a thread on here last year about the best and least toxic sunscreens. It appears that research is being done to find out which ones are least toxic.

I'd be interested in the the results of the study you mention too. I've had two skin cancers and have been told to always use sunscreen, so I do. And vitamin D is in my calcium that I take every day so I always test okay for vitamin D.
In US we use harmful substances in sunscreens, in Europe- much safer- as government there pays for healthcare of their citizens and want a minimum amount of harm done
Similar one came from Greece for me, purchased on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-A...52914687&psc=1

Old 07-11-2019, 12:17 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
I'm having a Moh's surgery to remove a small skin cancer next week. I've had this done once before and am not concerned about the procedure, but I was startled when the dermatologist told me to take no vitamins, no supplements, and no herbs from now till then. Then he added, "Don't eat too many fruits and vegetables either, they have a lot of vitamins!" I about fell over.

I've had various surgeries and procedures and am usually told to avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as well as fish oil beforehand because they cause blood thinning, but that's it. As a matter of fact, I do take several vitamins, supplements and herbs and I'm not happy about missing them all for over a week. And to tell someone to cut back on fruits and vegetables just seems bizarre. Has anyone heard of such a blanket ban, and is there any reason for it other than that the dermatologist didn't want to bother specifying which substances could potentially cause a bleeding problem?

Is there some reason you didn't ask him "Why?"

Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Is there some reason you didn't ask him "Why?"
See post #17.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Vitamin K can cause excessive bleeding, As for all fruits and vegetables...sounds like a bit much

Could you call Derm office and just ask for specific ones?

Vit K is in all green leafy vegtables

Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
He really stressed the no vitamins, supplements, and herbs. The fruits and vegetables was a throwaway comment as he was leaving the room. At the moment, I thought he was joking, but after getting home, I started thinking maybe he was serious. Jamin's link does mention some fruits and vegetables which I eat every day (broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, cherries) which act as potential blood thinners.

Definitely, if I find out more, I'll update.

Broccoli contains Vit K

Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Many drugs, herbs, fruits and vegies, vitamins and other diet supplements can prevent coagulation and/or increase bleeding during and after surgery. I know Jamin provided a link with information, but here are links below with additional lists of some of the things that cause bleeding or may have other unwanted side effects that could influence the outcome of surgery.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322384.php

https://med.stanford.edu/content/dam..._and_Herbs.pdf

Old 07-11-2019, 12:53 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Many drugs, herbs, fruits and vegies, vitamins and other diet supplements can prevent coagulation and/or increase bleeding during and after surgery. I know Jamin provided a link with information, but here are links below with additional lists of some of the things that cause bleeding or may have other unwanted side effects that could influence the outcome of surgery.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322384.php

https://med.stanford.edu/content/dam..._and_Herbs.pdf

Thanks, those were helpful, especially the Stanford list. I would much prefer to be handed a list like this than be told "No supplements," but I suppose the doctor has found that some patients just don't read the list or don't remember what they've read, so it's easier to ban everything before surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness