Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times

Advertisements

Today when I was applying some lotion, I felt a hard, spherical, slightly mobile, painless, approximately 1” lump just above my collar bone, close to my neck. I did not feel surprised to find it — it felt familiar somehow, as if I had felt it many times before without thinking too much about it. On a whim though, I double-checked the other side and was surprised to find there was no lump there.

My thinking is that this is a swollen or infected lymph node. But I am feeling perfectly fine and have no other symptoms. I wouldn’t really think much more about it, except that:

1) I know swollen lymph nodes in the neck can be the first sign of lymphoma and
2) Two years ago I came off of a 1 1/2 year treatment with an immunosuppressant which is known to raise one’s risk of lymphoma.

So, should I go to the doctor ASAP to get this checked out? Or should I wait 2-4 weeks to see whether this lump goes away on its own (as it recommended online)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 02:19 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
If you are that concerned, see your MD right away. It might be something the MD wants to wait and see, but you don't know that. MDs are used to peóple calling in about lumps and etc.

A hard nodule would not likely dissipate, so give the office a call for an appt....
I would do that if it was me.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
If you are that concerned, see your MD right away. It might be something the MD wants to wait and see, but you don't know that. MDs are used to peóple calling in about lumps and etc.

A hard nodule would not likely dissipate, so give the office a call for an appt....
I would do that if it was me.
Thanks. That is definitely the sensible approach. I generally dislike being a patient, so I tend to seek every possible excuse for not going in — whether reasonable or not.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Definitely go in. It is worth it just to get checked. I have a couple of lymph nodes that occasionally swell. When it first started happening, I think there were one or two that were persistently swollen. The doctors had a few theories and I think it was probably related to a skin condition in the area, because I would usually have a flare up right around where the lymph node swelled. I had a period of around 6-8 months about 5 years ago where I had some skin issue and no one could figure out what was going on.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:02 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Go see the doctor. That is how my DH's lymphoma started. Difference was, he was not feeling fine - rather run down and not himself. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Go see the doctor. That is how my DH's lymphoma started. Difference was, he was not feeling fine - rather run down and not himself. Good luck.
And how is DH doing with his lymphoma? What kind was it? (I’ve read that there are something like 60 different kinds.)

Old 06-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Oh yes, I am definitely going ASAP.

I just read in a reliable online source that, of all the lymph nodes in the entire body, enlarged supraclavicular nodes (what I have) are the most suspicious of malignancy. But fortunately, an enlarged right supraclavicular node (more specifically what I have) is somewhat less suspicious than a left one, or at least less suspicious for abdominal cancers (due to the asymmetrical nature of the lymphatic system). It is actually just as suspicious for lymphoma.

Also my enlarged node is large (> 2cm), hard and painless which is more suspicious of malignancy than infection.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:06 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
i have one of those.
it was just adipose tissue.
FAT.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
i have one of those.
it was just adipose tissue.
FAT.
Do you mean a lipoma? If so, they are usually soft, not hard.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:34 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Oh yes, I am definitely going ASAP.

I just read in a reliable online source that, of all the lymph nodes in the entire body, enlarged supraclavicular nodes (what I have) are the most suspicious of malignancy. But fortunately, an enlarged right supraclavicular node (more specifically what I have) is somewhat less suspicious than a left one, or at least less suspicious for abdominal cancers (due to the asymmetrical nature of the lymphatic system). It is actually just as suspicious for lymphoma.

Also my enlarged node is large (> 2cm), hard and painless which is more suspicious of malignancy than infection.

Good info-- but it represents "the average." Averages don't apply to the individual. Get it checked out sooner rather than later. Better to check it out and it turns out to be nothing than to not check it out and it turns out to be something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness