Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times

Advertisements

Jill: So sorry to hear this news but doctors can and are wrong, many times. At least you are doing the right thing by getting a diagnosis immediately. I will send some prayers and good wishes your way. Please let us know what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:24 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Yep, my doctor started off saying I either had AIDS or lymphoma and it wasn't anything but the antibiotics.

Crossing my fingers for you. Kudos to you for noticing and taking swift action.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-03-2019, 03:42 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Jill my feelings are the doctor is wrong, but sending good vibes your way no matter what.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:14 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Crossing my fingers that the doctor is just trying to cover himself until he knows for certain. On a positive note, my cousin's husband has had lymphoma and has been in remission for a long time. She is a very private person and isn't a good communicator, especially about this sort of thing, so I don't know the details but it gives me hope. Best of luck and holding good thoughts here.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:27 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,512 times
Thanks! You are all very sweet.

Gotta love C-D. Everyone tells you: “Go see your doctor!” But when you do, everyone says: “Well I have a hunch your doctor wrong!”

Just kidding!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 AM

I got the results of my CT scan today. They were not good. They found several large abnormal masses. My oncologist has ordered an urgent PET scan. His idea is that with the more detailed information in the PET scan, he can pressure the ENT do my biopsy a lot sooner. As of now my pre-biopsy consultation is schedule for July 31st and the biopsy surgery isn’t even on the schedule yet.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:36 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Oh no, so sorry to hear that. Sending positive thoughts your way. Hopefully you can get a biopsy soon and get to the bottom of what's going on and begin treatment to get it behind you.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Hi Jill, sorry to hear that. I am trying to remember the sequence when DH had the lump. I'm pretty sure they did the biopsy first. A CT scan shows, IDK, lumps? A PET Scan will show if any of them are cancer. The biopsy will show what kind of cancer it is, so they know what kind of treatment to start.

I have been debating whether to answer your questions about DH's lymphoma. When he was sick, the last thing we needed was people telling their "cancer stories" which sometimes did not have good outcomes. "gee thanks for telling me that."

DH had DLBCL, diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, a non-Hodgkins type. He was told there was about a 65% chance of cure with the first chemo protocol. He started treatment at a NCI Cancer center (one of 40 in the US, top tier). However he really wanted to continue going south for the winter like we always did. There was no way we could have stayed in our northern house for the winter. So the doctor made arrangements for him to continue treatment down south. To make a long story short, things got screwed up, the medical care there was sub-par. The lymphoma came back. Due to co-morbidities and DH's age, the next step, a bone marrow transplant, was not possible. He passed away.

That being said, I wonder if he would still be here if he had stayed at the NCI center for his whole treatment. The doctors there were excellent. Cancer is not the time to be treated at your small neighborhood hospital - get to the best doctors you can. I am wondering why an ENT doctor is doing the biopsy? sounds odd. Why not a surgeon?

Finally, take a tip from a friend of mine who survived breast cancer many years ago. She told me, when people started telling her about people they knew who had had cancer, she held up her hand in a STOP motion and said "Stop! I can't take any cancer stories right now!" (she is a cool person!)

Old 07-18-2019, 02:11 PM

Thanks VTsnowbird!

As of now I really don’t mind hearing others’ stories, even if there wasn’t a happy ending. I’m sorry to hear that there are lingering what-if’s for you.

I think one of the dilemmas that some people face is that being treated at a nationally recognized cancer center sometimes means being separated from family and friends (not really true in your case). I have already decided that I am going to either be entirely treated at a well-respected cancer center (I am thinking Moffitt in Tampa) or have them set up the treatment protocol and have it done locally.

However, it seems that you tried the latter down South and it didn’t work out? I mean, you already knew what kind of treatment he needed and they screwed up the administration of the treatment? Or did the screw-up involve something else?

I am a cancer newbie and am totally naive as to the multiple ways things can get screwed up (although my imagination is already helping me)!

You can always PM me if you don’t feel comfortable divulging all the details in semi-public.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:39 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
He was getting a specific chemo regimen that involved 5 or 6 drugs given continuously over a 5 day period, times 6, each 5 day cycle to be 3 weeks apart. The first four times involved a 5 day hospital stay, which he hated. (the nurses weren't too happy either). He found another doctor who could do it with a portable continuous infusion pump, only coming in once a day to have the drugs changed. After that treatment, which was the 5th, he was so wiped out he could not face having the 6th and final 5-day dose. What I didn't find out until we got back up north and read the original oncologist's notes, was that, due to poor kidney function, he was supposed to get all drugs at a 75% rate, not full strength. The doctor on the 5th treatment gave him full strength. Apparently he did not read far enough into the medical record, just saw "XYZ chemo" and gave him the standard dose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness