Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
He didn't order an ultrasound of it? Is it in the front of the neck? I had something very similar, low, front/side of neck. It was my thyroid (not cancer).
Thanks! We can tell it doesn’t involve the thyroid because when I swallow, the node doesn’t move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 01:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
Jill: Sending good wishes your way. Hope your next MD visit is a breeze with nothing serious. Please let us know.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Jill: Sending good wishes your way. Hope your next MD visit is a breeze with nothing serious. Please let us know.

Thanks AZgarden, I really appreciate your kind words!

At this point, it’s pretty much a given than I am going to have an excisional biopsy. It’s the only way to truly rule out lymphoma. But I have had much more major surgery before, so I am not too concerned.

On the other hand, I am a little concerned that I have come down with yet another head/chest cold. This is my 3rd full blown cold so far this year ... and I haven’t been overly stressed or around children or traveling a lot. It’s either bad luck or an immune system malfunction.

Go ahead, please, mock me. Of course, it’s just bad luck. Duh! Stop being such a hypochondriac!

Old 06-28-2019, 05:34 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Thanks AZgarden, I really appreciate your kind words!

At this point, it’s pretty much a given than I am going to have an excisional biopsy. It’s the only way to truly rule out lymphoma. But I have had much more major surgery before, so I am not too concerned.

On the other hand, I am a little concerned that I have come down with yet another head/chest cold. This is my 3rd full blown cold so far this year ... and I haven’t been overly stressed or around children or traveling a lot. It’s either bad luck or an immune system malfunction.

Go ahead, please, mock me. Of course, it’s just bad luck. Duh! Stop being such a hypochondriac!

Well, this probably isn't likely, but we can hope that maybe the enlarged lymph node is there in reaction to the respiratory infection that's perhaps been incubating for a few days.

In any case, take care of yourself and best of luck with this.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
When is your appointment for the biopsy?

Good luck by the way and please keep us posted.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When is your appointment for the biopsy?

Good luck by the way and please keep us posted.
I have to see the hematologist first. That will be Tuesday.

Currently, I am feeling like there is no way I have lymphoma. My PCP is just a Nervous Nellie seeing cancer everywhere and getting his panties in a bunch.

FTR, I am 100% keeping the appointment and going through with the biopsy. I am just really enjoying feeling like this!

Old 06-30-2019, 10:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I saw my PCP this morning. He agreed that the lump was indeed a swollen lymph node and that it was suspicious for lymphoma. He referred me to a hematologist for further testing. I asked if there was any chance that it could be something besides lymphoma or another malignancy — if the nodes could have swollen due to infection, then hardened and remained swollen for so long? He said that it was possible with “certain kinds of infection,” but that I really needed to see a hematologist. He told me not to worry too much because most kind of lymphoma are highly treatable, even curable nowadays.

He had his office staff call the hematologist he recommended and set up an appointment for me. When I protested that the appointment fell on a really bad day for me, they said: “You have to cancel your other plans. The doctor says you need to be seen ASAP.” Great.

We will see ... I have, in the past, been absolutely sure I had malignancy only to find out it was nothing serious. Hopefully, that will be the case this time too.
I had something very similar to what you have not long ago, the semi-hard lumps were on my neck and one in my collarbone area, doctor sent me for a cat scan, but it came back normal, no abnormalities.

Since then, the doctor told me they have pretty much ruled out the bad stuff, and he honestly admitted, he is not sure what the lumps are, they did take a needle biopsy of them, but it just came back as being white blood cells (nothing more).

The only thing he is really sure about is the lumps are tethered to the skin. He told me to just keep an eye on them to if they change suddenly, but other than that, mine turned out to be nothing to worry about. They cannot really even be seen, as they are sort of under the skin, so Im not that worried about getting them removed.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:45 PM

Well, I saw the hematologist. He said he was really pretty sure we were dealing with lymphoma. We got the ball rolling for the biopsy. I asked him if he could tell me in percentages how sure he was and he wouldn’t do it. He did say though that he can’t imagine what else it could be. I guess the presentation is pretty textbook.

He said I shouldn’t worry too much since up to 70% of lymphoma is curable.

I am actually feeling good. At the moment I am much more concerned about how my husband and sister are feeling. I mean, if things go south and I die, I won’t have to worry about anything any more. But they will have to cope with the loss.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:50 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
fwiw, at one point, they thought I had lymphoma, they were pretty sure of it, actually. Same line about "don't worry, we are really good at curing it" and dismissed the idea that maybe it wasn't. And it turned out it wasn't - my oncologist came into the room with a big grin and said "I don't get a lot of chances to say I was wrong, but I am so glad to have been wrong!"

Maybe you will be that lucky, or maybe you will need to rely on just how good they are at curing it, but sending good thoughts to you, either way.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
fwiw, at one point, they thought I had lymphoma, they were pretty sure of it, actually. Same line about "don't worry, we are really good at curing it" and dismissed the idea that maybe it wasn't. And it turned out it wasn't - my oncologist came into the room with a big grin and said "I don't get a lot of chances to say I was wrong, but I am so glad to have been wrong!"

Maybe you will be that lucky, or maybe you will need to rely on just how good they are at curing it, but sending good thoughts to you, either way.

That is excellent to hear! I really hope I have your luck. You must have been so happy ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness