Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:27 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

My closest neighbor fell victim to food poisoning last week, she was vomiting and had diarrhea for 3 days, and lost 5 pounds. She couldn't figure out, exactly, if it was the deli food from Whole Foods or the can of soup she bought there.

One of my Spanish class attendants missed class last Wednesday, and she thinks she pinpointed it to some spiced Pumpkin seeds she bought at Sprouts.

It hasn't happened to me yet in my 69 years and it must be miracle, as I've traveled all over the world, ate street food in India, Central America, China, Mexico and I must have a cast iron stomach.

Thank God I love to cook as 95% of my eating comes from my own kitchen. Intuitively, I've always avoided deli food from grocery stores, except fried chicken, and rarely eat out at restaurants, except when traveling.

'How about you, ever been food poisoned and you were able to pinpoint what caused it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Yes, poor me, four times:

--tuna sandwich with lettuce in the Grenadines (this was the worst and longest bout)

--eating raw meringue, my own own kitchen

--a green salad, Victoria, Canada

--an Italian hoagie, Philadelphia, maybe the lettuce on it?

Old 04-23-2019, 04:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
It's never happened to me, not even when I was traveling in Mexico.

My husband had food poisoning from a pecan pie that his coworker shared with him, without telling him that the pie had sat in his truck all day.

My sister thinks she gets food poisoning at least twice a month from restaurants, but I'm pretty sure she's overeating or has a food intolerance she hasn't identified yet.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:36 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Had it once - had gone out for Chinese food (I assume that was the source) - I reported it and the health dept. checked and food wasn't kept at the proper temps.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:46 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
I had food poisoning once from a Wendyburger. I lost 9 pounds overnight after spending most of the night in the bathroom sick at both ends. The only thing I could keep down for the next few days was flat Pepsi.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
It's really hard to determine when someone ACTUALLY has true food poisoning and where it came from.

Most times, food poisoning is a 24-48 hour incubation, so.. What happens is someone eats somewhere and truly does get food poisoning. They usually eat 2 or 3 more times, at least, since then.. And the last place they ate before they started blowing chunks gets the blame.

Or.. They pick up some norovirus or similar from a door handle they opened and then wipe their eyes.. Boom, they've got it.. But the last place they ate gets the blame for "Food Poisoning"

Unless multiple people get sick from the same place and that's the only commonality. It's usually NOT food poisoning.. But.. Explaining that to someone who has gotten sick is... Damn near impossible.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:05 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My closest neighbor fell victim to food poisoning last week, she was vomiting and had diarrhea for 3 days, and lost 5 pounds. She couldn't figure out, exactly, if it was the deli food from Whole Foods or the can of soup she bought there.

One of my Spanish class attendants missed class last Wednesday, and she thinks she pinpointed it to some spiced Pumpkin seeds she bought at Sprouts.

It hasn't happened to me yet in my 69 years and it must be miracle, as I've traveled all over the world, ate street food in India, Central America, China, Mexico and I must have a cast iron stomach.

Thank God I love to cook as 95% of my eating comes from my own kitchen. Intuitively, I've always avoided deli food from grocery stores, except fried chicken, and rarely eat out at restaurants, except when traveling.

'How about you, ever been food poisoned and you were able to pinpoint what caused it?
Only once.

Figuring it was TJ's guacamole since basically I ate that and some chips the day before. Tasted fine and chowed down the entire package of guac. Hit that night. Vomiting only lasted about six hours, migraines and extreme fever like symptoms for the next 12. Went to work which was dumb. Mostly just sat there and felt miserable.... on the other hand that's what I would have done at home too so no real difference.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:07 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
oh yes I think it was some spinach from chillis sorry but true . I have had it three other times in my lifetime .

Old 04-23-2019, 05:12 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's really hard to determine when someone ACTUALLY has true food poisoning and where it came from.

Most times, food poisoning is a 24-48 hour incubation, so.. What happens is someone eats somewhere and truly does get food poisoning. They usually eat 2 or 3 more times, at least, since then.. And the last place they ate before they started blowing chunks gets the blame.

Or.. They pick up some norovirus or similar from a door handle they opened and then wipe their eyes.. Boom, they've got it.. But the last place they ate gets the blame for "Food Poisoning"

Unless multiple people get sick from the same place and that's the only commonality. It's usually NOT food poisoning.. But.. Explaining that to someone who has gotten sick is... Damn near impossible.
Agreed. I'm really skeptical when someone gets "food poisoning" and claims they know exactly what caused it. Usually something with mayonnaise gets the blame, but that's actually really unlikely. And unless all the food you ate for the past couple of days was tested, how would you possibly know?

I've never had food poisoning that I know of. I'm pretty sure I've had norovirus because several times when I was young, multiple families members got sick in turn over a number of days. Once when cousins were visiting, all of them in turn were vomiting and when they were all finally well, I got it. Too bad that was the day we had planned to take them to Disneyland because I had to stay home.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
Twice- once in India, once in Nepal years later, both times after eating fish. The trip to India was business and I observed the usual recommendations- no raw food that you can't peel (so bananas are OK), eat only at restaurants in your hotel or where your coworkers take you, etc. The fish was at in a restaurant in my hotel, which catered to Americans and Europeans. Nepal- I'd been on a guided tour through India and Nepal again taking the guide's suggestions (entire tour group was American and so was the tour company). Was fine enjoying chai from street vendors, food at hole-in-the-wall restaurants, etc. but dinner at our hotel in Nepal included fish. I'd had to use moderate amounts of Imodium up to then but things got worse. Not throwing up, thank heaven, but lost my appetite for food. It took almost a week for my digestive system to get back to normal. I'm convinced that fish in that area just has some bacteria my gut can't deal with.

DH LOVED raw ground beef. I'd shudder as he'd open a package from the grocery store, put a chunk of it on crackers and eat it. In Paris, at the restaurant in the Louvre, he ordered steak tartare. They made it very clear to him that it was raw ground beef. That's what he wanted. He enjoyed it but ended up with diarrhea that night. Fortunately he was OK by the next morning. I still treasure that picture of him holding up the plate of steak tartare and grinning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness