Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 03:28 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I had food poisoning years ago while on vacation in Mexico. It was horrible. Sick at both ends, and had to be put in a clinic overnight for medical care.

I had food poisoning several times here in the US. One time was stomach cramps and diarrhea for a few hours. I can't remember what I ate. Another time I had made batter-fried cauliflower. It was delicious, but I paid for it in the middle of the night when I woke up with the worst stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. I couldn't go to school the next day because of weakness and dehydration.

The only other time was from some fish that I'd eaten. I felt perfectly fine after dinner. But then I happened to look in the mirror 2 or 3 hours after dinner and noticed that my face was covered in red splotches. My boyfriend at the time's face was also covered in red splotches. We went to the ER, where they told us we had food poisoning. We never had any pain, vomiting, or diarrhea, though.
Count yourself lucky! Nothing worse than REALLY needing two toilets because you have such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 04:19 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Twice- once in India, once in Nepal years later, both times after eating fish. The trip to India was business and I observed the usual recommendations- no raw food that you can't peel (so bananas are OK), eat only at restaurants in your hotel or where your coworkers take you, etc. The fish was at in a restaurant in my hotel, which catered to Americans and Europeans. Nepal- I'd been on a guided tour through India and Nepal again taking the guide's suggestions (entire tour group was American and so was the tour company). Was fine enjoying chai from street vendors, food at hole-in-the-wall restaurants, etc. but dinner at our hotel in Nepal included fish. I'd had to use moderate amounts of Imodium up to then but things got worse. Not throwing up, thank heaven, but lost my appetite for food. It took almost a week for my digestive system to get back to normal. I'm convinced that fish in that area just has some bacteria my gut can't deal with.

DH LOVED raw ground beef. I'd shudder as he'd open a package from the grocery store, put a chunk of it on crackers and eat it. In Paris, at the restaurant in the Louvre, he ordered steak tartare. They made it very clear to him that it was raw ground beef. That's what he wanted. He enjoyed it but ended up with diarrhea that night. Fortunately he was OK by the next morning. I still treasure that picture of him holding up the plate of steak tartare and grinning.
If you don’t throw up- it is not food poisoning - has to come out from both ends. You probably had a virus ...

Old 04-24-2019, 04:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
And this is some kind of expert opinion?

Old 04-24-2019, 09:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
I have, several times. Twice from eating at those Mongolian barbecue places, and twice from food trucks at public events. In all cases, I knew within 12 hours, and in each case it was the last meal I ate before getting sick.

Hygienic standards tend to be really lax in Kentucky. I'm very careful now where I eat out.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:49 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Ick. This thread belongs in the Health (or lack thereof) forum.

Wonder how many click on the Food forum looking for recipes or other, y’know, appetizing ideas.

I did nod madly in agreement with the comment about being curled up in the fetal position, both from abdominal pain and from feeling severely chilled. In between trips to the toilet, of course.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
I've had it twice. First time my sister and I got it from eating shredded carrots from a salad bar. Second time was from a caesar salad at a restaurant in Hawaii. How do I know? Totally no scientific evidence to back it up but I believe your body just knows, and you feel the strongest urge of illness when you think about that specific food. To this day the thought of shredded carrots makes me want to hurl.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I did it to myself twice. Both times I handled raw poultry or ground meat. I was not careful about washing my hands after. I got nightlong diarrhea in both cases, and vomiting in one.

I’ve since become really, really careful about washing my hands after handling raw meat.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:34 AM

1,198 posts, read 660,824 times
I had food poisoning but in a different way. I was out hiking in the woods and picked and ate what I thought were blueberries (which are common in our area), but they tasted bitter. My husband came over and said those are not blueberries. Never did identify exactly what they were. About two days later I became acutely ill, instantly. I was vomiting continuously and had severe diarrhea. It got so bad I had to go to the ER and was put on an IV due to severe dehydration because of the continuous vomiting for over a week. My weight got down to 88 lbs (I was small to begin with at the time) for a short time. I am much more careful about picking wild berries now!

Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I am NOT a doctor, but I distinctly remember my body’s reaction to the first bout of food poisoning. I was throwing up, having diarrhea, and profusely sweating. It was as if my body was trying to expel toxins as rapidly as possible. I was utterly, utterly miserable.

And I can only surmise how I got poisoned. It has been so many years ago. But I had made chili that day. It took awhile to have that reaction though, so I could be wrong.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Maybe once, but it could have been Giardia from unclean water too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness