Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

After reading all these horror stories, I know my day is coming! If I do get it, isn't there some medication that would shorten the time spent being sick?

Last edited by tijlover; 04-24-2019 at 04:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 03:48 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I had it once and hopefully never again. I know exactly where the food came from; it was a new "mom & pop" sub shop. I didn't think anything about it until after the fact but they kept their mayonnaise Right next to warming tray with heat lamps overhead.

I was sick for two days. Apparently other people that ate there also got sick. The place was closed/out of business the next week.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:42 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My closest neighbor fell victim to food poisoning last week, she was vomiting and had diarrhea for 3 days, and lost 5 pounds. She couldn't figure out, exactly, if it was the deli food from Whole Foods or the can of soup she bought there.

One of my Spanish class attendants missed class last Wednesday, and she thinks she pinpointed it to some spiced Pumpkin seeds she bought at Sprouts.

It hasn't happened to me yet in my 69 years and it must be miracle, as I've traveled all over the world, ate street food in India, Central America, China, Mexico and I must have a cast iron stomach.

Thank God I love to cook as 95% of my eating comes from my own kitchen. Intuitively, I've always avoided deli food from grocery stores, except fried chicken, and rarely eat out at restaurants, except when traveling.

'How about you, ever been food poisoned and you were able to pinpoint what caused it?
Yes,mot was ranch dressing that had gone bad. I've never been so sick in my life.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
I had it once flying from Greece to Erie, PA on like 5 different planes. Thankfully when I got home it started, or I would have had to cancel my flights. I threw up for a day and a half and couldn't even keep a tiny shot glass of water down. I just was in the bathroom all the time. Then that stopped and it was the other end. It was painful, but I was quite young, so that was good. Hope it never happens again.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I took my girlfriend to a funeral a month or so ago, and we stopped in at a local Mexican place in a hurry. Their food is never great, but the salsa wasn't refrigerated and the food was just awful. We both ended up sick for at least that night.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:08 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I was infected with "Roskyldesyg", a Norovirus-infection, at the Roskilde Rock Festival many years ago. The immediate reaction was delayed about 8-12 hours, and it is too disgusting to describe. It took a couple of days to recover from the exhaustion/lack of fluids, etc.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355296

Old 04-24-2019, 09:44 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Yes.3 times so far in my life.2 of those times were from Arby's and I will NEVER eat there ever again.I knew 100% it was from that place because that was all I had eaten for those days that I did get sick.The same thing about the pizza as well. That was the only thing that I had eaten that day.I had only eaten a few slices when I started to have stomach cramps.You know when you know.
Food poisoning is a very terrible thing to go through..you start questioning everything that you put in your mouth.
People can die from this and it sucks.

Last edited by codergirl; 04-24-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 01:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Most memorably, salmonella from unrefrigerated hard boiled egg. Captain Vesuvius.

Almost all cases of "stomach flu" are actually caused by food poisoning. The exception is norovirus, which has a short incubation period and similar symptoms.

I caught norovirus once from my mother, in very humorous circumstances. I just dropped in, she was in bed not feeling good, so I got a drink of water at the kitchen sink and left. 48 hours later I was at an Alcoholics Anonymous function. A friend was celebrating his 1 year chip by hosting a spaghetti feed for the club, and he invited me along. Just before dinner I felt nauseous, so went into the bathroom and never came out. When my friend came in to ask if I was OK, I said, "NO!"

Pretty soon I was surrounded with amateur EMTs who were positive I was having an antabuse reaction. They refused to accept that I was just sick. They made no attempt to put on plastic gloves or even wash their hands after attempting to take my pulse, checking my eye reflexes, etc. I was so sick I couldn't even get off the floor. There was no detectable radial pulse, so they had to check the carotid. It was very irritating, but I'm sure I got my revenge. I expect I started a mini-epidemic that day. Fortunately, my fiance was with me, and she got me home.

48 hours later, my fiance came down with it. She told me to go away, but I insisted on taking care of her. I knew how sick she was going to be. It was one of those situations where you really learn to trust the person you are going to marry.

Norovirus is incredibly contagious. If you spread it around to your friends, it is not food poisoning.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
I've had food poisoning once. My husband and I had gone out to eat at a seafood place. We ordered the same thing. We had a plate of seafood that included fried oysters, fish, and clams, and we ordered a dozen raw oysters as an appetitzer.

I know most people would assume it was the raw oysters that made us sick, but I really really think it was the fried oysters that made us sick.

They were so incredibly incredibly salty! I mean, almost like they dumped a shaker full of salt all over them. All the other seafood on that plate tasted fine. The oysters were so bad, I only took a few bites of various of the oysters...hoping maybe at least SOME of them weren't so salty.

I kind of think maybe someone in the kitchen knew the oysters were past their prime, and were trying to disguise the 'off' flavor by salting and frying them. But that's just my guess.

And it was within that 24 - 48 hour window, when we got sick. I got sick first, and then my husband. I spent a Friday evening in a fetal position on the couch, and then the next day my husband and I started in with the diarreah and vomiting. It was no fun.

Last edited by Sassybluesy; 04-24-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 02:38 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,487,297 times
I had food poisoning years ago while on vacation in Mexico. It was horrible. Sick at both ends, and had to be put in a clinic overnight for medical care.

I had food poisoning several times here in the US. One time was stomach cramps and diarrhea for a few hours. I can't remember what I ate. Another time I had made batter-fried cauliflower. It was delicious, but I paid for it in the middle of the night when I woke up with the worst stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. I couldn't go to school the next day because of weakness and dehydration.

The only other time was from some fish that I'd eaten. I felt perfectly fine after dinner. But then I happened to look in the mirror 2 or 3 hours after dinner and noticed that my face was covered in red splotches. My boyfriend at the time's face was also covered in red splotches. We went to the ER, where they told us we had food poisoning. We never had any pain, vomiting, or diarrhea, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness