Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Carpal tunnel syndrome has absolutely nothing to do with posture or alignment of joints and it is clear you know absolutely nothing about the condition

https://yogalondon.net/monkey/yoga-and-carpal-tunnel/
I was about to say something similar. That being said it seems there can be many causes for numbness. I know, for me, it is how I place my hands and arms while sleeping. It doesn't happen every night but it does from time to time even during the day. I am certainly not worried about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
I had that numbness and tingling for 20 years---down my arm and into my hands. I would wake up with no feeling in my hand. Nothing helped. It seemed to be "referred pain" from a pinched nerve.

Now at 62, that issue is gone BUT replaced by very arthritic shoulders that produce pain with certain movements. LOL--if not one thing, than another.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:45 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Arthritis issues roam all over our bodies. And burning, tingling, numbness, stiffness, swelling, pain and whatever else our bodies give us is part of the experience that comes to visit and does not leave.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Could be a pinched nerve at the neck. Does it include the arm?
Yes, I had this same thing when i had pinched nerves, my doctor told me if I had not come in to have it checked, I would have eventually gone paralyzed from the neck down!

I had surgery, but my left pointer finger is still numb all the time, no feeling, it will never return.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That person isn't even a medical doctor, just pretends to be. Very ignorant of some well known health facts.
Says the person who "pretends" to have a PhD but worked in a call center.....

You are the one ignorant of "health facts"....carpal tunnel is a "muscle issue" whatever you say "doc"

Old 04-10-2019, 03:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. I know nothing about carpet tunnel or other possible causes.

It is interesting you mention arthiritis and inflammation. I had/have been having arthritis? like pains in my hand, but most my left. I asked the Dr., during routine blood work to check for inflammation and there some. Not sure how much or what kind.

Pinched neck nerve? Wouldn't that normally just be one side or the other? It is mostly my right but also my left, just not as often or as bad.

Got a Dr. appt to discuss - can't get me in for a month!

Should I get some wrist thingies? Take some low dose aspirin for inflammation? Is where I am now irreversible? My right thumb and forefinger are almost always just a little but numb feeling. (This has all gotton worse sort of fast)
So arthritis around the wrist can contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome but unlike what people are stating above, arthritis doesn't present with numbness, tingling, burning of the fingers etc...

Arthritis is joint inflammation, cartilage damage..it has nothing to do with neurogenic pain which you are describing...

You are correct about the pinched nerve in the neck, typically if that were the cause of your symptoms it would more likely affect only 1 side of the body (but not always).

Carpal tunnel syndrome on the other hand very frequently involves both hands though often not to the same degree as you have described.

There would certainly be no harm in trying carpal tunnel splints to sleep in while you wait for your appointment. There are found at most pharmacies and will typically state they are for carpal tunnel right on the package...

If you try the splints at night before your appointment and see some relief from symptoms that would be helpful information to the provider you see about this problem....

Old 04-10-2019, 03:38 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
OP: I hope you'll keep an open mind to many possibilities..Not one member has all the answers here. The body is very complex and anything can be causing your issues, or many things.

I don't dismiss a connection.

https://www.tendonitisexpert.com/car...arthritis.html

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-10-2019 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-10-2019, 03:46 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Says the person who "pretends" to have a PhD but worked in a call center.....

You are the one ignorant of "health facts"....carpal tunnel is a "muscle issue" whatever you say "doc"
A call center? You don't even know who I am.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I ordered a wrist thingy from amazon. If it seems to help the worst side (right) I will get one for the left.
Boy going to bed is getting to be an ordeal. I have to floss, brush my teeth, brush my retainers and put those in, put in eye drops because my eyes have dried up. start snore lab on my phone. Now wrist splints.

I sort of hate that this is nerve pain related because I was diagnosed with trigemenal neuralgia last year. Can have different causes, not sure what the cause was here. MRI came back clear at the time. Thankfully its not too bad yet. But its a nerve problem. So this would be another one. Probably unrelated?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. I know nothing about carpet tunnel or other possible causes.

It is interesting you mention arthiritis and inflammation. I had/have been having arthritis? like pains in my hand, but most my left. I asked the Dr., during routine blood work to check for inflammation and there some. Not sure how much or what kind.

Pinched neck nerve? Wouldn't that normally just be one side or the other? It is mostly my right but also my left, just not as often or as bad.

Got a Dr. appt to discuss - can't get me in for a month!

Should I get some wrist thingies? Take some low dose aspirin for inflammation? Is where I am now irreversible? My right thumb and forefinger are almost always just a little but numb feeling. (This has all gotton worse sort of fast)
I would think it's cervical nerve compression or carpal tunnel. I would see the doctor if I were you, they might send you to a neurologist who can perform nerve conduction tests to see what the cause is. I have had both cervical radiculopathy and carpal tunnel and have had surgery for both. If you ignore numbness and it is from a compressed nerve you can have permanent nerve damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness