Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 12:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,768,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
One thing I am happy about, is NJ's recreational law (passed but the final bill still has details being negotiated) is also going to expunge the records of everyone convicted of marijuana possession in NJ. I think at least some of the other states did as well.

One thing NJ policy makers are arguing about, is many want to ensure that the poor black communities who have been most decimated by the War on Drugs, have equal opportunity to now enter the marijuana business. Keeping it from being corporatized so it has a direct benefit to those communities in terms of small business and jobs.
This is a big issue - here in Washington state, small independent growers have a hard time qualifying for a growers license in the first place, and then competing with corporate types.

It's good natural experiment, because Washington allowed people to grow for medical marijuana cardholders, but limited the amount they could grow. So we had/have a pool of experienced small growers who are being ousted from the marketplace. I will be interested to see whether the same dynamic will occur in Oregon, California, and other states where it is legal to grow recreational marijuana for yourself.

I really think that being able to grow your own is key to resisting corporatization, but we will see. After all, you can brew your own beer, but that hasn't slowed down AnhauserBusch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 01:24 PM

50,837 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It has already been 'corporatized' for the most part, I was just reading an article on a company named Tilray, who is probably going to be one the largest entities in legal weed, when it happens nationwide, they are in the process of working on deals with tobacco, alcohol and even pharma companies, its only a matter of time before its legalized nationwide and people are scrambling to get in on the ground floor, its going to be extremely lucrative.
Yes, I'm afraid it will end up being "Kraft" brand or something eventually. But even now, the hurdles in getting licensed and in getting funded to start a store or any business, puts many in poor communities at a disadvantage. Some in NJ want to make sure communities like Camden get a piece of the pie, since it was largely these folks who suffered the greatest losses in this bogus "War".

Old 02-10-2019, 01:26 PM

50,837 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
This is a big issue - here in Washington state, small independent growers have a hard time qualifying for a growers license in the first place, and then competing with corporate types.

It's good natural experiment, because Washington allowed people to grow for medical marijuana cardholders, but limited the amount they could grow. So we had/have a pool of experienced small growers who are being ousted from the marketplace. I will be interested to see whether the same dynamic will occur in Oregon, California, and other states where it is legal to grow recreational marijuana for yourself.

I really think that being able to grow your own is key to resisting corporatization, but we will see. After all, you can brew your own beer, but that hasn't slowed down AnhauserBusch.
Yes. I think you're right. I saw a segment (I believe it was on Vice News) about how this is affecting growers in northern California. Many of the illegal farmers have been growing for decades, it's pretty much been their life, and now cannot get in on the legal action due to the hurdles put in place by onerous regulations about who can grow.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,595,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/marij...ness-violence/

Also read his book Tell Your Children
The facts in the article are wrong as to legalization of marijuana. And he doesn't have citations to the studies he refers to.

He's a smart guy. I wonder why or how he's got this so wrong? Is it personal to him in some way?

One of his premises goes like this:

The staffer at an institution says all the schizophrenics have been smoking pot all their lives. (Okay, first...that's not science. That's an anecdote. And an exaggeration, obviously. If she even had information on all 300 of her patients to that degree. Did she just ask them? Don't schizos lie?)

He concludes from that statement that marijuana must cause schizophrenia or make it more likely you'll get that mental illness. Seriously?

Let's say those 300 patients watched tv every day all their lives, or drank coffee, or drank Coca Cola, or whatever. Just because someone does something does not mean it caused what happened later. That's what scientific studies try to show. Which he doesn't cite for that argument.

And if most people with mental illness smoke pot, is it the case that pot caused their mental illness? Or is it the case that people with mental illness are drawn to smoke pot or drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes? Since most people who have smoked pot don't end up with a mental illness.

He must have something personal against pot.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He must have something personal against pot.
As do others posting in this thread. The masses speak on this issue and vote for legalization. More and more states will go legal rec, many are already legal med. I do not see this turning around. So anybody that has a problem with it and I'm sure there are many, will have to get used to it. It will be commonplace eventually and the stigma should disappear. It will be treated somewhat like alcohol, something that has always been legal. The only exception would be during prohibition and we all know how that turned out. It's still an intoxicant and should be treated as such.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,776,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Using marijuana is not restricted to smoking.

Moderation in all things.
Very true. But the alternative methods are fairly recent (well except for brownies, LOL) and hard to obtain in places where medicinal pot is not legal yet without a major road trip.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,787 times
Quote:
Our government has spent many millions of dollars, over 50 years, to do studies looking specifically for the harms of marijuana. It has had far more study than any other drugs, but our government never looked at it for it's positive benefits, the racist agenda only allowed the studies to look for its harm.

To date, they have never proven addiction, nor cancer, nor death.

The only proven medical downside has been man boobs.
No it has not been proven. Do more research, it's out there.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Very true. But the alternative methods are fairly recent (well except for brownies, LOL) and hard to obtain in places where medicinal pot is not legal yet without a major road trip.
People were making "special" chocolate chip cookies at least as far back as the mid-1970's.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I am not 'aware' of that.

All I have read on the subject has been the exact opposite.
You need to read more. Cannabis is certainly addictive. It's about as addictive as coffee, which means, much less than alcohol or tobacco, which can both kill you.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
You need to read more. Cannabis is certainly addictive. It's about as addictive as coffee, which means, much less than alcohol or tobacco, which can both kill you.
Incorrect. Can someone get addicted to marijuana? Sure. People can get addicted to anything. But weed is not as addictive as caffeine. It takes a lot of effort to get addicted to it.

https://archive.attn.com/stories/391...than-marijuana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness