Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:56 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's the root cause of all drug abuse-----the users are very unhappy with themselves and their lives. They feel inadequate and think they can benefit from mind-altering substances. All such drugs render the abusers incapable of recognizing that they're doing themselves any damage. No marijuana smoker will ever admit that there's anything harmful or wrong about it. They think that they've become more interesting as persons, but that effect works only on other users. They're all losers and can't function in their natural, undrugged state.
Pfft.

Alcohol, tobacco, pot.... all the same. At least pot has some medicinal uses. DH used it for pain control after surgery and for insomnia, and it works. And your right, he will not admit harm or damage, because there is very little. Eating at McDonald's (which he doesn't) is probably more harmful.

I doubt he thinks he is more interesting, as that is not really his goal. And rest assured, he functions quite well as he only does it in the evenings. My "loser" husband is retired quite comfortably at 52. He functions quite well thank you, and he has many people asking him to start up businesses with him. Yes, OMG, they know he occasionally smokes pot. No one really cares, it is quite common.

I can tell you, that if my RA symptoms get much worse.... I will indulge also. I'm not fond of the high that comes with it, but I am also not fond of being in a lot pain.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 08:10 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Pfft.

Alcohol, tobacco, pot.... all the same. At least pot has some medicinal uses. DH used it for pain control after surgery and for insomnia, and it works. And your right, he will not admit harm or damage, because there is very little. Eating at McDonald's (which he doesn't) is probably more harmful.

I doubt he thinks he is more interesting, as that is not really his goal. And rest assured, he functions quite well as he only does it in the evenings. My "loser" husband is retired quite comfortably at 52. He functions quite well thank you, and he has many people asking him to start up businesses with him. Yes, OMG, they know he occasionally smokes pot. No one really cares, it is quite common.

I can tell you, that if my RA symptoms get much worse.... I will indulge also. I'm not fond of the high that comes with it, but I am also not fond of being in a lot pain.
Exactly. If I said I have a glass of red wine in the evening no one would be spouting silliness like I must be unhappy with my life or I’m abusing a drug. But it is no different when I take a hit from an oil catridge pen in after work. It’s ridiculous and baseless Reefer Madness ignorance.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Many have described medicinal uses for marijuana and as a pain-reliever. The implication seems to be that those applications of it somehow justify the vast majority of users who are only concerned about its mind-altering and recreational effects.

How much money is spent by our country because of drug abuse, for medical care, police, criminal courts and prisons? How much do people lose to thieves who steal to feed their drug habits? If all this, as well as alcohol abuse was eliminated, we'd probably spend less than half as much to keep our nation running. And we'd be a lot healthier and more productive. Mind-altering substances are like a huge parasite sucking the blood from our society. Add to that, all the health problems caused by junk food and it's a wonder we have survived. Our collective indulgences in harmful things, may cause our demise before global warming can do it.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times

Old 02-08-2019, 11:23 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yep. And in most cases where it's "linked" to schizophrenia, it becomes a question of the chicken vs the egg - in other words, did the cannabis cause the illness (unlikely), or were they just self-medicating a pre-existing condition (more likely)? As of yet, there have been no credible studies or sources to prove the former.
Yes, many people diagnosed with all kinds of mental illness self-medicate with weed. It offers the most benefit with the least adverse effects or contraindications. Pharma has nothing to offer that would even come close.

From the OP’s link:
Quote:
Teenagers who smoke marijuana regularly are about three times as likely to develop schizophrenia, the most devastating psychotic disorder.
He’s assuming that since Schizophrenia is usually diagnosed by around the age of 25; that the precursor to diagnosis is weed use by teenagers; which is incorrect. The changes of puberty sometimes mask the early Schizophrenia symptoms & as the condition worsens, those teenagers are just leaving their parents home, going to college or joining the military. By the time anyone who knows them well is aware that they need help, they are already entering their 20s.

Many if not most Schizophrenics will say that they started deteriorating during adolescence & had learned how to self-medicate long before the actual diagnosis.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Pfft.

I care.
and Yes I would refrain from mingling near someone with such an aroma coming from their pores.

His brain cells are less active....makes sense that he couldn't admit harm or damage.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Many have described medicinal uses for marijuana and as a pain-reliever. The implication seems to be that those applications of it somehow justify the vast majority of users who are only concerned about its mind-altering and recreational effects.

How much money is spent by our country because of drug abuse, for medical care, police, criminal courts and prisons? How much do people lose to thieves who steal to feed their drug habits? If all this, as well as alcohol abuse was eliminated, we'd probably spend less than half as much to keep our nation running. And we'd be a lot healthier and more productive. Mind-altering substances are like a huge parasite sucking the blood from our society. Add to that, all the health problems caused by junk food and it's a wonder we have survived. Our collective indulgences in harmful things, may cause our demise before global warming can do it.

Pot is pretty non addictive, and pot smokers are not exactly motivated criminals. DH was law enforcement and said before he would rather have people smoking pot than drinking from a legal standpoint. Some people eat junk food, some don't, whether stoned or not. You cannot OD on pot so medical care isn't really an issue, plus there are many ways to ingest it without smoking it.

Got some great news for you: with the legalization of pot, billions are being saved in NOT busting people for pot.

DH is quite productive and healthy as a horse, generally in great physical shape.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I care.
and Yes I would refrain from mingling near someone with such an aroma coming from their pores.

His brain cells are less active....makes sense that he couldn't admit harm or damage.

LOL. He doesn't smell like pot.

At the time I'm sure they are less active, that's kinda the point. If he would have taken an opioid for pain, his brain would have been less active, and same with a sleeping pill. So what's your point?

Old 02-09-2019, 07:15 AM

2,569 posts, read 1,644,568 times
This anti-marijuana hysteria is ridiculous. Recreational or medical pot smokers aren't raging drug addicts who rob people to feed their habit. It is not physically addictive like cocaine, heroin, etc. And it has proven medical and pain control benefits.

Yes, there are people who overdo it and spend their lives constantly stoned and unproductive. Just like there are people who spend their lives drunk or seriously over-eating every day, or indulging in other bad habits. That's on them and should not result in penalizing everyone else.

And no, I don't smoke pot, but I fully support legalization and I certainly would like it to be a legal option should I ever need it for medicinal purposes.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:28 AM

938 posts, read 446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Marijuana doesn’t make you feel out of it. It helps me focus (ADD) and makes me more productive, not less. It somehow gets me past the “stuck” feeling the ADD causes, into an “action” phase. It also makes me more conscious, more appreciative of the beauty around me, and more aware. I can see the truth when I smoke, while ordinarily I can justify things to myself when I’m not under its’ influence. In any case, it’s not at all like being drunk or anything like that if that is what you mean by altered consciousness.

It doesn’t help at all when I get migraines however, still need the prescription migraine meds.
Wow! Thank you.

Although I only smoke on weekends to unwind (never when I work or have to take care of business), yes, weed does help me see the truth, makes me more aware and does help me see the beauty surrounding me.
I love listening to music, watching sports, wildlife documentaries, movies, etc or having a good conversation while smoked up. Can really focus in. Don't even get me started about floating in the ocean ...

And, as you stated, it doesn't help me with pain, it actually accentuates it. Beer helps with pain for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness