Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times

Advertisements

I assumed that they'd use propofol for cataract surgery as they do with colonoscopies but was informed that they'll use versed, because they do not want the patient knocked out. The eye moves around when the person is out. That's a no-no for cataract surgery.

Your experiences.

Last edited by Calvert Hall '62; 10-04-2018 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 10:49 AM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
weird. i had propofol for my cataract surgeries. either would be fine, however. the goal is put you under enough to do the procedure but not so much that you can't protect your airway. either drug will do that.

to add: the GI docs at the hospital i worked at never used propofol for colonoscopies, they used versed. this was mainly because use of propofol was not permitted for patients who were not intubated. although propofol seems to be the norm now for colonoscopies it's not the only drug that will produce the desired level of sedation.

another bit of info: before cataracts i had an epi-retinal membrane "peel" done by a retinal surgeon. his preferred drug was versed.

Last edited by old fed; 10-04-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 04:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
I refuse versed and any other amnesiac drug. It makes me ill and even with anti-nausea meds added to it, I will still be sick and vomiting afterwards. Beyond that I cannot see what possible benefit there is to me as the patient while at the same time versed does sometimes have long lasting effects on some patients, especially older patients for whom the amnesiac effects can be long lasting. It strikes me as being used for the convenience of the medical staff rather than to benefit the patient.

Thus far I have had 2 colonoscopies, an upper endoscopy, and a transesophageal echocardiogram w/o versed or any other drug. Not that big a deal really. I think in part the medical community has scared patients into thinking they need to be given amnesiacs.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I refuse versed and any other amnesiac drug. It makes me ill and even with anti-nausea meds added to it, I will still be sick and vomiting afterwards. Beyond that I cannot see what possible benefit there is to me as the patient while at the same time versed does sometimes have long lasting effects on some patients, especially older patients for whom the amnesiac effects can be long lasting. It strikes me as being used for the convenience of the medical staff rather than to benefit the patient.

Thus far I have had 2 colonoscopies, an upper endoscopy, and a transesophageal echocardiogram w/o versed or any other drug. Not that big a deal really. I think in part the medical community has scared patients into thinking they need to be given amnesiacs.
this is about cataract surgery

Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
this is about cataract surgery
no, the thread topic states "Your Experiences With Versed"

I was given it before, actually twice and I think it's awesome!!! I told the nurse, when I came around to tell Santa I want some for Christmas. No issues. No problems. I was in a Great mood all day!!

Old 10-04-2018, 11:05 PM

either drug will work for the intended purpose. both will put one into a state of "conscious sedation" both will do it effectively, a person will recover from either quickly, they are both short acting. both will provide the right amount of sedation to allow the procedure to be safely performed and the patient will have no or very little memory of the procedure. i've had both, i didn't notice much difference between them actually.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:44 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
I am given versed when I need an NG tube. The right nostril is so scared that if it must be used it would have to be placed with force. I tense up so much(more NG tubes than I could count) that the versed allows me to relax enough to have the tube placed.

DH had it when he had his halo screwed into his head when he broke his neck. It was one of the very few mercies afforded him (he remembers nothing more than seeing the black and decker power screwdriver coming towards him. I wish they had offered it to me because I remember the sound of the screws going into his skull and his screams of agony.

If your Dr. Is offering versed for your procedure look up the usage on the internet and make your decision. I wish you the best outcome.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:59 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
no, the thread topic states "Your Experiences With Versed"

I was given it before, actually twice and I think it's awesome!!! I told the nurse, when I came around to tell Santa I want some for Christmas. No issues. No problems. I was in a Great mood all day!!
I asked for a doggie bag for the leftovers! Wonderful stuff!

It's like Valium but it is so strong it can only be used under medical supervision, as it can relax you so much you stop breathing. Or so I hear.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:31 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
both will put one into a state of "conscious sedation".

I've never been conscious with propofol (four colonoscopies).

On the other hand, when they slapped me awake, I was rarin' to go; in fact able to drive home even though they told me no driving for 24 hours.

If the versed leaves me conscious throughout, it'll be a new experience.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I've never been conscious with propofol (four colonoscopies).

On the other hand, when they slapped me awake, I was rarin' to go; in fact able to drive home even though they told me no driving for 24 hours.

If the versed leaves me conscious throughout, it'll be a new experience.
you have you just don't know it. i know it seems counterintuitive but it's just the term that is used. you can still protect your airway which is the main thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness