Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:29 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Forget the sparking stuff maybe??? Drink good clean spring water. I don't touch that sparking something about the phosporous -- I'm very accustomed to plain clean water.
Yes, I have heard that the sparkling stuff can be bad for a person. But once in a while I like it. Now I'm wondering what may be in the sparkling spring water, so I looked it up. And the Deer Park website says, spring water, "refreshing bubbles" and natural fruit flavors. Refreshing bubbles? "Natural fruit flavors?" Oh well I may give up soon for those little delights I like to have upon occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 07:41 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks again.
I checked the side effects of erythritol which was added to the stevia packets (Truvia) I bought. And I see that erythritol is considered to have irritating effects for some. Then I checked another package of Stevia blended with cane sugar, and saw it also has erythritol in the ingredients, even though the cover says "Stevia and Cane Sugar." And some packages say, "and natural flavors." What does that mean? I will be more conscious of these things because -- I don't want the pain that may be associated with this.
Many of the stevia based sweeteners also contain erythritol - many, like Truvia -are mostly erythritol with a little stevia thrown in for good measure. Erythritol is a "naturally occurring sugar alcohol" which is why they can call it natural, but the way they cultivate and derive it for use in sweeteners in questionable. That said, none of the erythritol based sweeteners bother my bladder at all but I know others have had ill effects. But then again the Ace K doesn't seem to bother the majority of people and yet it gives me painful bladder spasms.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM

7,064 posts, read 4,818,181 times
OP, imo you need to see a urologist, sooner rather than later. “Leaking” and having to use incontinence pads at night is not the normal course of events.

They may have different medications now, as opposed to 20 years ago, that won’t cause the constipation.

Get a thorough checkup by a urologist, they can look inside your bladder if need be to make sure everything is ok in there.

Peeing yourself is not normal.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Yes, I have heard that the sparkling stuff can be bad for a person. But once in a while I like it. Now I'm wondering what may be in the sparkling spring water, so I looked it up. And the Deer Park website says, spring water, "refreshing bubbles" and natural fruit flavors. Refreshing bubbles? "Natural fruit flavors?" Oh well I may give up soon for those little delights I like to have upon occasion.
It's an overgeneralization that all carbonated beverages have phosphorus:

https://www.healthline.com/health/fo...d-bad-for-me#2

Dark-colored sodas tend to have more phosphoric acid. The exception to this rule is root beer, which contains very little.
Clear carbonated drinks such as ginger ale, lemon-lime sodas, and flavored seltzers are all good choices if you’re trying to cut down on phosphoric acid. Plain seltzer water also doesn’t contain the additive.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:28 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's an overgeneralization that all carbonated beverages have phosphorus:

https://www.healthline.com/health/fo...d-bad-for-me#2

Dark-colored sodas tend to have more phosphoric acid. The exception to this rule is root beer, which contains very little.
Clear carbonated drinks such as ginger ale, lemon-lime sodas, and flavored seltzers are all good choices if you’re trying to cut down on phosphoric acid. Plain seltzer water also doesn’t contain the additive.
If a restaurant serves plain carbonated water, I enjoy that with my meal instead of plain water. I usually put lemon in it. Sometimes a restaurant refuses because they want to sell me the sparkling water beverage, but I do believe (I'm not sure) that they have spouts for carbonated water on their soda fountain. I don't drink much seltzer or carbonated water at home though.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Chamber pot under the bed.
You still have to wake up and get out of bed to use it.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
So what suggestions do you have for those afflicted with frequent urination at night when you're trying to sleep? From what I'm reading, it seems the body produces urine whether you drink water or not. They suggest stop drinking by 4 p.m. If you don't drink water then the urine can get more concentrated, but the body still produces it. I have to get up several times in the night to urinate and it ruins my sleep.
This is obviously a sign of pre-diabetes. A normal person drinks 2 cups of water even before bed would only end up going to the bathroom once in the middle of the night and once in the morning.

Frequent urination especially at night is a sign of high blood sugar with insulin resistance. Check the link below and see if any of the other symptoms applies.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355278

Old 11-23-2019, 01:25 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
So what suggestions do you have for those afflicted with frequent urination at night when you're trying to sleep? From what I'm reading, it seems the body produces urine whether you drink water or not. They suggest stop drinking by 4 p.m. If you don't drink water then the urine can get more concentrated, but the body still produces it. I have to get up several times in the night to urinate and it ruins my sleep.

Actually, when you're lying in bed or in a reclining chair, your kidneys slow down their urine production. If you short yourself on water in the last half of the day, the concentrated urine will cause the urge to drain it more often, as it is harsh to the bladder. Men of course, usually have enlarging prostates as they become older, which increase the frequency. Women have their own problems that cause it, but I don't think there's any escape from it. If you have the ability to easily go back to sleep afterwards, things will work out better.

Now there are some people who are so affected by frequent nighttime urination, that they use temporary catheters in bed, that are connected to collection bags. You're constantly dripping and there is no urge to urinate with one. Talk to a doctor about that possibility, if your situation is severe.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:50 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
Saw Palmetto, standardized extract 85-95% fatty acids and sterols; pygeum, stinging nettle, pumpkin seed oil. If you can find these in a pill “cocktail” one, all, or a combo may work.

You must take it over a period of several weeks, more than a month, to see results. Three in the morning, three at night.

Seems like a subtle improvement at first. You realize it is actually working when you stop taking it after a couple of days. That’s when you know it is working. YMMV.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:07 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Forget the sparking stuff maybe??? Drink good clean spring water. I don't touch that sparking something about the phosporous -- I'm very accustomed to plain clean water.
Most "clear" soda and sparkling waters have little phosporous - it is mostly in the dark colas - research, my dear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness