Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

These can make a difference if only women would do them...I'm doing them right now sitting at computer.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/art-20045283
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
I think stopping liquids at 4 pm is too long without fluids. I would challenge you to NOT get up every time you think you have to go. You may have trained yourself to go "just in case" and feel a little anxious if you don't.

But rather than dehydrate yourself for 16 hours a day, retrain your bladder muscles, at least at night, and tell yourself to go back to sleep. Now, if you actually wet the bed, THEN you definitely need to see a urologist. Just say to yourself, "I really don't have to go that badly, I'll go back to sleep and see" - you may find you can sleep until morning with no issue. Do you urinate frequently in the daytime? If not, I'd say you easily distract yourself when you have things to do, but at night the need feels stronger to go even though you really don't have to.

Okay, I just read about all your other issues - infections and leaking - what ARE you waiting for? GET to a urologist! And if you are prone to infections, limiting fluids is a really bad idea.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
On the Kegel work it's..Contract/Release and since I last posted I'm doing this 10 times and thinking do these exercises could strengthen the pelvic area a lot. Just have to do them. I'm going to keep doing them too, trying 3 sets daily as I get up several times during the night.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I never have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

I dont do any weird exercises, I dont take any weird supplements and I drink a lot of water, even late at night. I usually go to bed around midnight and dont wake up until after 8:00 AM. (If I've taken a long nap late in the day I may go to bed much later than midnight.)

Old 11-18-2018, 08:27 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,123,089 times
A few points:
-there's a difference between urinating too much and urinating too frequently. Too much would lead to dehydration if you don't replace the fluids. Too frequently means you're passing the right amount of urine each day, but it comes out in small volumes with each episode.

-there are medical conditions leading to frequent urination at night-- uncontrolled DM, bladder spasm from MS or after a stroke, severe prostate problem that leads to incomplete urination so the bladder refills the rest of the way more quickly, various types of renal failure, etc etc...these aren't the usual causes.

-the vast majority of complaints of getting up at night come from those of us who've reached a certain level of maturity and don't sleep deeply thru the nite anymore. We tend to wake up every 2hrs, and turning over to try to sleep again we realize that maybe we do have the urge to go..so we get up and go. It's not like we wet ourselves if we don't get up.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A few points:

-there are medical conditions leading to frequent urination at night-- uncontrolled DM, bladder spasm from MS or after a stroke, severe prostate problem that leads to incomplete urination so the bladder refills the rest of the way more quickly, various types of renal failure, etc etc...these aren't the usual causes.

-the vast majority of complaints of getting up at night come from those of us who've reached a certain level of maturity and don't sleep deeply thru the nite anymore. We tend to wake up every 2hrs, and turning over to try to sleep again we realize that maybe we do have the urge to go..so we get up and go. It's not like we wet ourselves if we don't get up.
guido,
It doesn't have to be a severe prostate problem to have the condition you described. Mild BPH (enlarged prostate), which most men get eventually, causes incomplete emptying of the bladder.

I don't know how you come to the conclusion regarding, "the vast majority of complaints of getting up at night come from those of us who've reached a certain level of maturity and don't sleep deeply thru the nite anymore," but I think for most men, BPH will be the cause of waking up at night due to an urge to urinate.

BTW, Super Beta Prostate and saw palmetto don't do a thing to help this condition. Super Beta Prostate contains minerals, Vitamin D, beta-sitosterol, pygeum, and a few other ingredients. Beta-sitosterol, pygeum, and a multivitamin can be purchased individually for considerably less than the price of Super Beta Prostate. See https://www.amazon.com/New-Vitality-.../dp/B00EWSMOSC for the full ingredients and price.

The evidence for saw palmetto is not impressive and recent studies have failed to show any benefit over placebo. Beta-sitosterol has been found in most, but not all studies, to significantly improve perceived symptoms of BPH and urine rate flow. It didn't help me.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman03 View Post
I discussed this problem with my urologist. He said that fluids you drink cycle through in 3 to 4 hours. The amount of liquids you drink during the day and/or morning caffeine consumption have no effect on nocturnal urination. Alcohol consumption in the evening does exacerbate the problem.

You need to rule out any health issues (UTIs) or medication side effects. Getting up several times per night is not normal for a woman.
One doctor put me meds to stop the frequency but it constipated me worse than usual so I live with it. I put a bed sheet for incontinence on my bed so just in case I'm too tired to go to bathroom.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:42 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
So what suggestions do you have for those afflicted with frequent urination at night when you're trying to sleep?

Personally, I just get up an go to the bathroom and then back to bed

Old 11-16-2019, 11:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Do you by any chance drink low calorie beverages? I went to a urologist for a too frequent bladder issue. He advised me to cut out caffeine and alcohol but it turned out it was the low/no calorie beverages I was drinking. I narrowed it down to one particular sweetener - acesulfame potassium. When I stopped drinking those, things improved considerably! If your blood pressure med is a diuretic, it could also be part of the problem though.
I stopped drinking low/no calorie beverages, but today I had Dasani sparkling water with a flavor enhancer at a Wendy's. I like seltzer or sparkling water, but I think that's what did the job with my bladder, pressing me so hard it was painful. No more of that for me. I don't know the content of such a drink (sparkling water w/flavoring but low-cal, I should find out) but I'll try to find out.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:37 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I stopped drinking low/no calorie beverages, but today I had Dasani sparkling water with a flavor enhancer at a Wendy's. I like seltzer or sparkling water, but I think that's what did the job with my bladder, pressing me so hard it was painful. No more of that for me. I don't know the content of such a drink (sparkling water w/flavoring but low-cal, I should find out) but I'll try to find out.
Was it a bit sweet? If so then it likely had acesulfame potassium or aspartame, both of which hurt my bladder the but the Ace K worse than the others. I found this when I googled:

Dasani flavored water contains natural flavors, citric acid, phosphoric acid, acesulfame potassium, aspartame and sucralose, all of which provide the beverage with its flavor, according to the manufacturer's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness