Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 05:10 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I've read that often it's not needing to use the bathroom that wakes you up...it is poor sleep and you happen to wake up and "feel like you need to go". You don't really have to but you're awake, so you get up.

That still begs the question of why you're REALLY waking up - caffeine too late in the day? Heavy screen use in the evening? Bedroom temp. too warm? Irregular sleep schedule? Sleep apnea?
I have to go when i wake up blake. I keep a glass in the room and piece in it. About half a gal it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 03:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We change as we age. BPH is common in men and incontinence is common in women. There are very minor surgeries to fix both.

Medicine has come a long way since leaches and bleedings. If yo want to get up 3 times a night or dribble all day, it's your body-your choice
I don't think there is minor surgery or simple surgery for women with urge urinary incontinence.

In many women their uterus and pelvic floor have fallen and are drooping resulting in urge urinary incontinence. Also the pelvic floor muscles and bladder muscles can weaken a lot causing urinary incontinence.

There are law suits suing manufacturers (and doctors) who have surgically inserted 'pelvic slings' which have been damaging to women.

There really is no easy, simple, or minor surgical solution for female urge urinary incontinence.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:59 PM

175 posts, read 846,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindi waters View Post
hi. I can only tell you that i use pads over my sheet because i'm too tired to get up so i pee on the pad when i'm in bed. I won't say it helps me sleep because in general i wake up when i have to urinate anyway, but i'm too tired to get up and go to the bathroom, not far away. I do sometimes sleep during the day. Nobody told me that getting older would be this difficult, but i have been having urination problems for a long time now. (oh well.) i don't like too much "medical intervention" either.
i would think there is some kind of meds that would help with this problem. I am male and go to the doc. No help at all. I can't stand any big tube in me.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
i would think there is some kind of meds that would help with this problem. I am male and go to the doc. No help at all. I can't stand any big tube in me.
For women, there are medications to stop urge urinary incontinence and too frequent need to urinate but the medications have HORRIBLE side effects which are unbearable. (for many women)

Studies have shown that most women stop taking the medications within 6 months and often much sooner.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Talk to your doctor. In my case I sought medical attention when it was 4 times a night, and it turned out to be bladder cancer. After 8 surgeries and 9 months of chemo I am fine now, but it would have been better if I had gotten it checked sooner.

My wife was up to 3 times a night, and she saw her doctor. Fortunately hers was not serious, but a loss of muscle control due to age. She was given exercise to do every day nd now as long as she avoids tea after 3-4pm she can sleep all night.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:55 PM

7,049 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
They should be able to use a smaller sized tube, if you have to be scoped or cathed. They have pediatric sized tubes. Also if you need to be scoped or cathed, they have numbing gel that they can insert prior to whatever procedure you’re having.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:35 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,739 times
I had a procedure to reduce the size of my enlarged prostate, called TURP. They insert a tube through the penis and some sort of laser goes to work. Similar to a colonoscopy. I was under general anesthesia and didn't feel a thing. Four hours in the hospital, but the actual procedure is less than one hour.

Urinating into a catheter was very painful until they removed the tube two days later. The procedure messed up my urine and bowel control for almost two weeks now. The frequency of urination is the same as before, on average 90-110 minutes. I hope it will get better. I will update my experience once I had fully recovered. Send me a private msg if you want to learn more. The urinating pain for the first 3-4 days was worse than cutting my leg with a chainsaw, but the duration was seldom more than 1 minute. The worst part was that the urge to do number one and two always came together, and they hit you like a train.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:33 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I had a procedure to reduce the size of my enlarged prostate, called TURP. They insert a tube through the penis and some sort of laser goes to work. Similar to a colonoscopy. I was under general anesthesia and didn't feel a thing. Four hours in the hospital, but the actual procedure is less than one hour.

Urinating into a catheter was very painful until they removed the tube two days later. The procedure messed up my urine and bowel control for almost two weeks now. The frequency of urination is the same as before, on average 90-110 minutes. I hope it will get better. I will update my experience once I had fully recovered. Send me a private msg if you want to learn more. The urinating pain for the first 3-4 days was worse than cutting my leg with a chainsaw, but the duration was seldom more than 1 minute. The worst part was that the urge to do number one and two always came together, and they hit you like a train.
At least you kill 2 birds with one stone joan. I am not going thru all that to pee less. As long as i only go once a nite dwight and 30 times during the day i am fine.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:56 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I follow and 18/6 eating plan..........no food for 18-hours, then 6-hours of eating.

A while ago I started doing the same with fluids, 18/6, and it definitely has helped me a lot. I can now usually sleep straight-through, without having to get up to use the bathroom.

Old 01-21-2024, 01:53 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I don't think there is minor surgery or simple surgery for women with urge urinary incontinence.

In many women their uterus and pelvic floor have fallen and are drooping resulting in urge urinary incontinence. Also the pelvic floor muscles and bladder muscles can weaken a lot causing urinary incontinence.

There are law suits suing manufacturers (and doctors) who have surgically inserted 'pelvic slings' which have been damaging to women.

"There really is no easy, simple, or minor surgical solution for female urge urinary incontinence.

^^My neighbor, who lived to 102, used a pessary (a pessary is a plastic device, similar to a vaginal contraceptive diaphragm. It is a low risk treatment option, which either lifts the bladder or apply compression to the urethra during activities that can cause leakage.) without complications.

Considered somewhat old-fashioned now--but to me, much preferable to surgery for uterus or bladder prolapse...that's the way I'd go... it holds the fallen organs where they belong so no pressure causing the all too frequent urination and accidents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness