Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 03:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Most of the time they are fine!!!

Most of the time is good enough for you???

Guess what....when an emergency happens during a home birth by definition it is unexpected and by the time medical help arrives baby, mother or both can be dead

But I guess that’s ok in your worldview since “ most of the time” everyone is ok
Most of the time is mentioned so much of the time on this group...so much. There is no 100% to anything.

I was born at home and probably most of those of my generation were too.

My sorta fear is that I'll outlive my money.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:23 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Most of the time is mentioned so much of the time on this group...so much. There is no 100% to anything.

You were born in the 1930’s right?

In the 1930’s 75% of births took place in hospitals

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.red...-every-decade/

And YOU may use “most of the time” to describe events, risks etc

You even thought “ most of your generation was born at home” when facts show otherwise

But I don’t believe a majority of expectant moms would accept “ most of the time” home births are uneventful except when they aren’t.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:44 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You were born in the 1930’s right?

In the 1930’s 75% of births took place in hospitals

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.red...-every-decade/

And YOU may use “most of the time” to describe events, risks etc

You even thought “ most of your generation was born at home” when facts show otherwise

But I don’t believe a majority of expectant moms would accept “ most of the time” home births are uneventful except when they aren’t.
1.5% of US births are at home or in birthing centers. Clearly the majority of expectant mothers would rather deliver where help is readily available at when “most of the time” fails them.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Nothing prevents anyone from fact checking. But you have to read more than WebMD or Mayo Clinic.
That is not the issue. Your thread title is, 'Longevity the Facts', yet you do not provide any actual data, or links to studies. How about changing the title to, 'Longevity, my Opinion'.
To make the reader have to verify the "facts" YOU presented is ridiculous.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:28 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
a
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Japanese people have the highest longevity of a more populous country and they don’t eat a paleo diet. They also have a higher risk of some cancers and screenings for those cancers are a regular part of the annual physical. They get the BCG (TB) vaccination while we do not. Many people get severe osteoporosis and they have started to add in more milk to combat that, but as a result more people have become obese. Osteoporosis is a disease of aging.

I don’t know what point you are trying to make here. Modern medicine has helped women tremendously because it was so easy to die in childbirth. Women were basically pregnant much of the time during their childbearing years, which can go well into your 40s. If you think of the number of women who have to have c-sections, those women would likely have died or had serious complications in pregnancy if they had to go through one outside of modern medicine where a c-section was available. So if you meet a woman who had a c-section who is over 50, yeah, she might very well only be alive today due to medical intervention.

Meanwhile, basic infections like the flu, smallpox, measles, mumps, scarlet fever, etc. killed frequently and easily.
I had a breach birth in 1979. Modern medicine saved me from dying in childbirth? Actually, my old fashioned OB knew how to deliver a vaginal breach, BUT where did the term Caesarian birth come from? Julius Caesar. Modern Medicine?

Old 07-26-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
1.5% of US births are at home or in birthing centers. Clearly the majority of expectant mothers would rather deliver where help is readily available at when “most of the time” fails them.
This is not the topic and there are plenty of modern mothers who are doing home birthing with doulas .. I had hoped this for my daughter and her children but no the sterile expensive hospital scene was their choice, not surprised, but I brought it up. At one point some yrs ago I had thought of taking doula training but didn't.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Quote:
When was it so easy to die in childbirth? Mostly when women started having babies in hospitals, delivered by doctors who didn't wash their hands. Then germs were discovered, doctors started washing their hands, and childbirth death rates went down.

There is no simple way to compare now to then. When are you comparing now to? Not very much is known about the distant past, and different times and places were very different.

Compare modern America so a filthy poverty stricken city in the early industrial era, and we look great. We don't look so great when compared to times and places that had clean air and water and plentiful food.

It is not nearly as simple as they want you to think. And our society is very unhealthy, if you look at it realistically.
Since we have no absolute data, one cannot say that prehistoric times were a time that longevity actually happened.

Stating 'fact' in the title really requires one to back it up with a link or two in their post. Otherwise, it is only speculation rather than fact.

Just sayin'...

Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I was born in the barn and turned out ok.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:14 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Women today have babies at home with midwives, and most of the time they are fine.

You are better off not being in the hospital, unless it's an emergency. That's what modern medicine is good for -- emergencies.
Wait, how do these two statements fit together? "Most of the time" mother and baby are fine whether they are at home OR in the hospital. They are not better off being in the hospital or not being in the hospital--they're the same.

But if there's an emergency--which, by the way, means "all of a sudden a dangerous situation that you didn't anticipate develops"--it might be too late to get to the hospital so baby can be intubated or mama can get a blood transfusion in time.

That's why women give birth in the hospital, even though "most of the time" they would be fine at home.
Because they don't want to be at home IN CASE there is an emergency.

I know there are women who roll the dice and have babies at home. "Most of the time" they are fine. But when they're not fine, the stakes are pretty high: dead or injured baby and/or dead or injured mother.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I was born in the barn and turned out ok.
Hey -- we born in the barn and in the kitchen turned out A-OK. What do the others know? You gave me a chuckle, almost spit out my salad. So this is our bond? j
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness