Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:06 AM

1,514 posts, read 895,576 times

Advertisements

As a chronic pain sufferer, I personally am tired of the "war on opiates/pain killers". I view it, not as a war on opiates/pain killers, but as a "war on pain relief". What is your take on this? I ask that you please read this original post (OP) in full before voting and commenting.

Sure there would be a problem with prescribing opiates to everyone who asks. That would be unreasonable, dangerous and would be a pendulum swung too far in the liberal direction. There is also a problem with denying or severely restricting opiates and pain relievers to everyone. That would be too far of a swing in a conservative direction and is also dangerous. Let me explain below.

A recent trip to the VA and with my experience with doctors over more then a decade, their fear, outright denials of adequate relief (out of fear) and questioning as if one is a drug addict (even though regular and blood tests prove otherwise) my take is that we, as a society, are swinging/swung too far in to the conservative (limiting/denying too much) direction because of a few bad apples. There needs to be a more balanced and sensible approach, not swung too far in either direction. Our society is aging. This is a topic that will need to be adequately addressed in a reasonable, compassionate and fair manner.

There could be a 100% ban on all opiates/strong pain relievers for everyone but who would this really hurt? Does it really hurt and create additional hardship for those legitimately in pain who are getting legitimate prescriptions through their doctor? Or, does it really hurt those who will continue to get their opiates through illegal means? If one wanted to get their opiates through illegal means and there was a 100% ban on them, would this stop people from going somewhere on "the street" to get them? All one has to do is look at other drugs that are 100% banned in this country (such as Meth or Cocaine) to see if there is still an issue with them. Is there still an issue with 100% banned drugs?

If there is still a major issue with drugs that are 100% banned in this country, does this show that it is the drugs fault for existing or does this show that some are making bad choices and will make bad choices whether the drug is 100% banned or not?

Are a few bad apples ruining pain relief for the millions with legitimate pain?

Suicide is becoming an epidemic in this country. About 40,000 commit suicide each year in the US. About 1 million (a 1 with six zeros behind it) commit suicide each and every year worldwide. That is about 1 person every 40 seconds.

A survey by Hitchcock found that 50% of chronic pain patients had serious thoughts of committing suicide due to their pain disorder.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3125689/

Some excepts from the linked study:

"risk factors for suicidal ideation are so high in this population that it must be assumed that some proportion of those who die of drug overdoses might have intended to end their lives, not just temporarily relieve their pain."

"In our society, suicide is considered to be an aberrant act attributable to severe mental illness, impulsivity, or despair. For many individuals, committing suicide is a way out of a situation or problem that is causing extreme suffering."

- end study excerpts (read linked study above for full article)

Overall and fundamentally, is this a drug problem or is this an untreated pain (physical, mental, emotional etc) problem?

So again, who is really hurt by this overly extensive, heavy handed approach to significantly limit opiate/pain killers to everyone?
Will we see an even further increase in the suicide rate if opiates/pain killers become even more restricted for legitimate pain patients?
Is it ethical to deny legitimate pain patients opiates and strong pain medications because of a few bad apples?

Last edited by txbullsfan; 06-16-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 11:12 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,845,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
As a chronic pain sufferer, I personally am tired of the "war on opiates/pain killers". I view it, not as a war on opiates/pain killers, but as a "war on pain relief". What is your take on this?

Sure there would be a problem with prescribing opiates to everyone who asks. That would be unreasonable, dangerous and would be a pendulum swung too far in the liberal direction. There is also a problem with denying or severely restricting opiates and pain relievers to everyone. That would be too far of a swing in a conservative direction and is also dangerous. Let me explain below. A recent trip to the VA and with my experience with doctors over more then a decade, their fear, outright denials of relief and questioning as if one is a drug addict (even though regular and blood tests prove otherwise) I can assure you that we are swinging too far in to the conservative (limiting/denying too much) direction because of a few bad apples. There needs to be a more balanced and sensible approach, not swung too far in either direction.

There could be a 100% ban on all opiates/strong pain relievers for everyone but who would this really hurt? Does it really hurt and create additional hardship for those legitimately in pain who are getting legitimate prescriptions through their doctor? Or, does it really hurt those who will continue to get their opiates through illegal means? If one wanted to get their opiates through illegal means and there was a 100% ban on them, would this stop people from getting them? All one has to do is look at other drugs that are 100% banned in this country (such as Meth or Cocaine) to see if there is still an issue with them. Is there still an issue with 100% banned drugs?

If there is still a major issue with drugs that are 100% banned in this country, does this show that it is the drugs fault for existing or does this show that some are making bad choices and will make bad choices whether the drug is 100% banned or not?

Are a few bad apples ruining pain relief for the millions with legitimate pain?

Suicide is becoming an epidemic in this country. About 40,000 commit suicide each year in the US. About 1 million, that is 1,000,000 commit suicide each and every year worldwide. That is about 1 person every 40 seconds.

A survey by Hitchcock found that 50% of chronic pain patients had serious thoughts of committing suicide due to their pain disorder.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3125689/

"risk factors for suicidal ideation are so high in this population that it must be assumed that some proportion of those who die of drug overdoses might have intended to end their lives, not just temporarily relieve their pain."

"In our society, suicide is considered to be an aberrant act attributable to severe mental illness, impulsivity, or despair. For many individuals, committing suicide is a way out of a situation or problem that is causing extreme suffering."

Is this really a drug problem or is the problem really a pain relief (physical, mental, emotional etc) problem?

So again, who is really hurt by this overly extensive, heavy handed approach to significantly limit opiate/pain killers to everyone?
Millions are in pain and have been for decades, but find and work with many other ways to reduce/calm their pain .. I do and try so so many other ways to help myself.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,945,905 times
Canabinoid oil is a major relief to many. You can order it online, even from Walgreens! Only side effect is I became apathetic. The oil does NOT get you high and is legal almost everywhere.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:20 PM

34,161 posts, read 83,253,468 times
An interesting statement in the PBS show I saw this week
was about strategic mixing of OTC non-narcotic analgesics to great effect.
A bit of Tylenol with some Aleve... and so forth.

I'd like to see some nih.gov page on the idea if anybody has one.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:21 PM

On the CBD's there is so much to be learned as it's so new to us and we can buy online etc...and my friend is trying the Charlotte's Web CBD and first time she used it she shook the bottle and didn't feel a thing from the dropper full...then she just reported the recent dropper full she took she didn't shake and contents gave her a real release of tightness in her body...so she thinks the stuff at the bottom of the bottle was stronger and it made a difference. This C.W. doesn't even have a mg content on the bottle she says. The stuff I just bought says 500mg CBD but it's not doing anything for me. Tonight I won't shake the bottle.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,461,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On the CBD's there is so much to be learned as it's so new to us and we can buy online etc...and my friend is trying the Charlotte's Web CBD and first time she used it she shook the bottle and didn't feel a thing from the dropper full...then she just reported the recent dropper full she took she didn't shake and contents gave her a real release of tightness in her body...so she thinks the stuff at the bottom of the bottle was stronger and it made a difference. This C.W. doesn't even have a mg content on the bottle she says. The stuff I just bought says 500mg CBD but it's not doing anything for me. Tonight I won't shake the bottle.
If you believe strongly enough, it'll work.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you believe strongly enough, it'll work.
I don't believe strongly enough as it's so new and we're all muddling with this CBD as so many want to get off pain meds.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:13 PM

1,122 posts, read 968,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Millions are in pain and have been for decades, but find and work with many other ways to reduce/calm their pain .. I do and try so so many other ways to help myself.
jamin it depends on the type of pain. There is NO cure for RSD which is the worse pain one can have. This is what I have. Three different doctors agreed on diagnosis.

I find it incredibly sad that people say there are other methods but they aren't the ones living with the pain. Like I said if you were to look up RSD it's the worse. Flaming hot - high on the pain scale.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:33 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,943,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
As a chronic pain sufferer, I personally am tired of the "war on opiates/pain killers". I view it, not as a war on opiates/pain killers, but as a "war on pain relief". What is your take on this? I ask that you please read this original post (OP) in full before voting and commenting.
Will we see an even further increase in the suicide rate if opiates/pain killers become even more restricted for legitimate pain patients?
Is it ethical to deny legitimate pain patients opiates and strong pain medications because of a few bad apples?

You're preaching to the choir. Every now and then at work I'll get up on my soap box and talk about how the pain med restrictions are really only hurting the ones that need them for a legitimate purpose. It sucks. A huge load. Which is why I really [very negative word] drug addicts. I won't get started on that. That will turn into a bad rant. I'm sure my other posts on the topic were sufficient for that.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
jamin it depends on the type of pain. There is NO cure for RSD which is the worse pain one can have. This is what I have. Three different doctors agreed on diagnosis.

I find it incredibly sad that people say there are other methods but they aren't the ones living with the pain. Like I said if you were to look up RSD it's the worse. Flaming hot - high on the pain scale.
I have a friend who lives with RSD for probably 20-30 yrs, I've seen her at her worst and she's moved to Oregon so I don't see her anymore, but we chat online sometimes. She's struggled no doubt and I know she's taken pain meds but don't know which ones. I'm on another health group that a pretty large group who are challenged with RSD and many talk about alternative therapies they use too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness