Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,109,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I watched 60 Mintutes last night and it was about opioids. This epidemic was created by the drug manufacturers, distributers and the DEA which turned a blind eye - they were told to by government officials. Drug mills proliferated all over and especially in the South.
It got me thinking about when this opioid crisis started. Opioids have been around for a very long time and of course they are addictive, but up until about 20 years ago there was no addiction epidemic.
Now we are punishing people who need them because of this phony war on them by the government.
I would say the "epidemic" as we now know it has only been around for about 10 years or less. There's always been a Heroin problem so that's nothing new but pill mills and parasitic "Pain Management" clinics are relatively new. I used to live in a small town near a larger town that had 2 of those clinics with several doctors in each. Both were investigated off and on over the years and there were ALWAYS a doctor or two getting busted for over prescribing or passing out "candy".
What people need to understand is those "Pain Management" clinics are in business to do what exactly? Manage pain via DRUGS so it behooves them ($$$$$$$$$$) to keep a constant stream of clients and retain them as long as possible.

Secondly you've got the Drug manufacturers who KNOW exactly what they're doing when they create a new drug and who KNOW exactly what the drug will/won't do.
I've heard it said by a couple of Pharmacists I know that they actually design the drugs to have certain side effects so those have to be treated (of course) with drugs as well.
Great work if you can get it huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 12:55 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,882,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sadly yes, several times. Every single one wanted to put me on heavier narcotics than I was taking when I walked in the office AND up the dosage. I was FINE with the dosage and drug I was taking at the time, though god forbid, it was the EVIL death drug Vicodin.

These narcotics they wanted to put me on cost more, some three to five times more than what I was currently paying/taking.
Needless to say I told them not just no but HELL NO and walked out.
Sorry, those "Pain Management" clinics are nothing but pill mills designed to get you really hooked and permanently glued to their offices since they have you sign a contract that you cannot go to or talk to anyone else or they'll cut you off. Talk about a huge profit center!

Try getting a prescription written or filled after a doctor has Red Labeled your file. Just short of impossible.

Try reading their contract some time then come back and spout off about dealing with anything...
Good grief, it's true about the PM clinics. WHen did they come into existence, 10-20 yrs ago. I've never been to one as I've learned to work with my own management.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good grief, it's true about the PM clinics. WHen did they come into existence, 10-20 yrs ago. I've never been to one as I've learned to work with my own management.
About 10 years ago they came into vogue, what a great money making con game that turned out to be...

Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM

35,238 posts, read 31,593,239 times
I've seen opoids basically wreck my community. I think the use and prescription needs to be restricted.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've seen opoids basically wreck my community. I think the use and prescription needs to be restricted.
It is. <bold> What more do you suggest?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:52 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,128,293 times
A kid is allergic to peanuts. Do we ban peanuts? Remove them from the world? No, the kid gets treatment for his allergy, learns how to deal with it and gets an epi-pen just in case. The world goes on.

People who need pain meds, need pain meds. It lets them function and be contributing members of society. They can walk and work so they can avoid disability and becoming a burden on society. Put away the baseball bat and stop punishing everyone for the actions of the few. Some of these long term users are addicted and who cares? It makes no difference because it's the only way they can function.

I am old and I have had maybe 100 opiate pain relieving pills in my lifetime. And it makes me furious to know that I will be denied when I need them in the future.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:59 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,882,977 times
Yellowsnow: Why do you think you will be denied IF you need them in the future. I don't believe they are being denied from those who need them. If and I hope I don't go for TKR, they will give me them for post op pain. Which I'll have to go thru the misery of them on the rest of my body functions.

I went thru pain pill addiction with a loved one and she lost her husband and her children for 13 months while in rehab. She also lost her hearing ... so I work with all I can to reduce my overall bodypain that is with me all the time.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM

1,121 posts, read 970,753 times
My neurologist is head of the floor (stroke victims) at LCMH in Torrance. She is the best in the South Bay here. She's younger - is up to date on everything. I saw several neurologists until we found this one who my Vascular surgeon sent me to.

RSD is hard to diagnose often and it takes years. I would not wish this on my worse enemy. The burning pain is horrible. You can't even get close to my legs and I flinch. I spend most of my time at home these days. Actually the last few years ~

Old 06-18-2018, 02:11 PM

I appreciate people wanting to help but at this time there is no cure for RSD especially if you have had it for a long time which is true for most people. Now- sometimes you can get through it if NEWLY diagnosed but it is so hard to diagnose and that is the frustration.

I will say today they know more about CRPS or RSD therefore are able to diagnose sooner. I probably had it for 10-15 yrs before they finally figured it out what it was....the damage was done.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:20 PM

Fentanyl is the one narcotic that has given me relief and I appreciate that so much. I have managed to live with just 50 MCG's meaning I am on a low dose but was also given another drug to use for break through pain IF NEEDED. I got over 100 tablets in Nov 2017 and I still have 90 left. I try like heck not to over do and I know when my body needs rest. I have to say no a lot to friends. It's frustrating for me and if they do not understand I am sorry for that. I AM NOT a drug addict or slurring my speech. I drive to the drs and I am quite alert.

What they are doing to Chronic Pain Patients because of people who abuse is rotten. We are paying the price. People who abuse take other stuff with their medication which often is alcohol or other street drugs perhaps. You cannot mix these opioids. Must take them as prescribed by your physician. I gave up alcohol many years ago - I was never a drinker just when out for dinner. Once you go on opioids, you cannot drink alcohol. Very dangerous.

I hope I explained a little here ~ Thank you so much. If you look me up at my website www.thehiddenpain.com I certainly do not look strung out but the pain is there through the nice smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness