Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 06:17 AM

486 posts, read 995,291 times

Advertisements

After 38 years of having my period, I have had enough. I will be 52 years old in August, shouldn't I be in menopause and be done with my monthly visit from "Aunt Flo?" Oh, hell no, my period still shows up monthly, right on time, just like clockwork.

I am tired. I don't want a monthly period anymore. I am sick of trying to schedule vacations around it, I am sick of buying expensive monthly sanitary supplies and having to carry them with me (just in case), I am sick of having my period and dealing with cramps, headaches, and breast tenderness pain. It seems I only feel good 3 days out of the month, the three days after my period stops (my period usually lasts 7 days). Then after I ovulate (which I do every month just like clockwork, at 51 years old!) all the cramps, breast tenderness pains, digestive issues, back aches settle in for the remaining 2 weeks until Aunt Flo shows up to pay her visit.

God I am tired.

I have a few question for all females of my age on C-D:

1. What age did your periods finally stop?

2. Did your periods just stop one month never to return, or did you have "signs" that menopause was just around the corner?

3. I have never had children, would that account for my late menopause? (maybe my body is saying "hey, you still have some viable eggs to use! Don't let them go to waste!")

4. If you still have your period into your 50's do you have any perimenopause symptoms? (I seem to have more digestive issues the past few years, that get worse right before and during my period)

Any advice is welcome!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 07:36 AM

9,917 posts, read 7,805,796 times
I was 57. My doctor promised me that it would eventually stop, LOL. The schedule was irregular the last couple of years. I had hot flashes and night sweats off and on for many years. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2018, 07:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,653,318 times
I'm not a female, but my wife was in her 50's when she stopped.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:56 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
After 38 years of having my period, I have had enough. I will be 52 years old in August, shouldn't I be in menopause and be done with my monthly visit from "Aunt Flo?" Oh, hell no, my period still shows up monthly, right on time, just like clockwork.

I am tired. I don't want a monthly period anymore. I am sick of trying to schedule vacations around it, I am sick of buying expensive monthly sanitary supplies and having to carry them with me (just in case), I am sick of having my period and dealing with cramps, headaches, and breast tenderness pain. It seems I only feel good 3 days out of the month, the three days after my period stops (my period usually lasts 7 days). Then after I ovulate (which I do every month just like clockwork, at 51 years old!) all the cramps, breast tenderness pains, digestive issues, back aches settle in for the remaining 2 weeks until Aunt Flo shows up to pay her visit.

God I am tired.

I have a few question for all females of my age on C-D:

1. What age did your periods finally stop?

2. Did your periods just stop one month never to return, or did you have "signs" that menopause was just around the corner?

3. I have never had children, would that account for my late menopause? (maybe my body is saying "hey, you still have some viable eggs to use! Don't let them go to waste!")

4. If you still have your period into your 50's do you have any perimenopause symptoms? (I seem to have more digestive issues the past few years, that get worse right before and during my period)

Any advice is welcome!
I had my last period three months before I turned 53. The one before that was 11 months earlier. In the year before that, it had started to show up every two or three months. I was pretty regular up to age 51, but regular for me was never 28 days. My cycle was 30 or 31, and sometimes it went up to 40 days or more between periods. I have one child, and I didn't think I was pregnant for her when I was because it was 42 days and I'd gone that long between periods before.

As a matter of fact, lol, I thought the 28-day thing was an old wives' tale based on moon lore or something until my sister mentioned that she REALLY was on a 28-day cycle. The only time I experienced that was in my 20s, on birth control pills.

I didn't have a lot of severe menopause symptoms that some women seem to experience.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I was 57. My doctor promised me that it would eventually stop, LOL. The schedule was irregular the last couple of years. I had hot flashes and night sweats off and on for many years. Good luck!
My younger sister, too. She talked about having to go outside in the winter because she was roasting at her desk at work. Fortunately, I did not experience much of that.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 AM

997 posts, read 713,365 times
Sometimes doctors recommend a partial hysterectomy for older women with heavy painful visits. These visits seem to get worse as you get older. You could have sudden freedom.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:40 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,295,126 times
56 1/2 here and it is still going strong. I am actually more regular now than any other time in my life. Between the period itself and all the misery that comes with it and the horrible PMS, I too have very few "normal" days a month.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,395,540 times
I've used IUDs for birth control since I my second child was born. Around 50 or so, I began having month long periods. My nurse midwife took out the old IUD and inserted a new one that released a small amount of hormones. It was "just enough" to get me through. I've not had periods since then and haven't really experienced any menopause signs except weight gain (boo!). I can't say for certain that I've gone through menopause, but I'm assuming so since I'm 56.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:40 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,835,361 times
I started perimenopause at around 49 years old, though I still had pretty regular periods. My first symptoms were nighttime hot flashes and then all my mucus membranes and my skin seemed to dry out, it really affected my eyes. Before I started into perimenopause, I could wash my hands and be on my merry way. Now I absolutely have to put lotion immediately afterwards. I have chapstick all over the house because my lips are always dry and I always have to have something to drink nearby.

At around 50, I started skipping periods here and there, actually before that really. I remember buying a pregnancy test when I was 48 because I had super regular periods and then I was really, really late. Thank goodness it was negative.

I think I am in the final stretch of passing into menopause now. My last period was 3 months ago and it was 3 months prior to that when I had my previous one. I turned 51 in December. I was having horrible heart palpitations for about the last two years, but they seem to have abated quite a bit. There are times when I am beyond exhausted for no reason, but fortunately that passes pretty quickly. I have 2 or 3 bouts of night sweats every night now and an occasional daytime hot flash, but they aren't horribly intense. The weight gain and inability to lose the weight I have gained is discouraging, but I am hoping to overcome that once my hormones settle down.

The indicator that you have actually entered menopause is that you don't have a period for 12 consecutive months. It stunk when I had to start all over, I can't imagine how frustrating it is for those who have gone 10 or 11 and then have a period.

The worst for me so far is my loss of libido. I hope that comes back soon. So does my husband. I literally never even think about sex, ever. It's not terribly comfortable when it happens, either right now.

I have heard that you tend to go through menopause at the same age as your mother. Unfortunately my mom died when I was 45 so I never got a chance to ask her when she went through it. My sister went through it when she was around 50. She and I don't get along, so when I asked her if she could share a timeline with me, she just laughed at me and said "have fun". So yeah.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:21 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,144,144 times
I have more irregular periods for years before they finally stopped. Sometimes I would go several months between them, they finally stopped about 58. I had pre menopause symptoms for about 15 to 20 years before that, I did have 5 children, don't know if that made any difference or not.
I would not be so anxious to go into menopause though it is NOT FUN.
Hey my MIL was in her 70's when she finally stopped having periods, so count yourself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness