Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:21 PM

371 posts, read 365,152 times

Advertisements

I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow and my concern is not the colonoscopy but how the meds will affect my pulse. My pulse is around 50 but can drop to 48 or lower. I am concerned the meds will lower my pulse too much! Seems lime nobody is really listening to me regarding my concerns and my husband seems to feel I am in good hands at the hospital. Maybe I read too much, but it's really worrying. I will talk to the doctors tomorrow but has anyone else been on these meds and how did they affect you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Are you having anything besides the colonoscopy? I had no pain meds at all....but I did feel some discomfort.

discuss first thing with your MD...tell him your concerns and make sure he addresses this with you.

You DO have a low pulse...any particular reason?

Old 05-29-2018, 04:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I had propofol but it lowered my BP. This can be a side effect in older folks, I am 76. I had it done in a hospital so they were prepared for anything.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:49 PM

14,941 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow and my concern is not the colonoscopy but how the meds will affect my pulse. My pulse is around 50 but can drop to 48 or lower. I am concerned the meds will lower my pulse too much! Seems lime nobody is really listening to me regarding my concerns and my husband seems to feel I am in good hands at the hospital. Maybe I read too much, but it's really worrying. I will talk to the doctors tomorrow but has anyone else been on these meds and how did they affect you?
Are you taking medication that might be responsible for lowering your pulse/heart rate to those levels? These medications include cardiac/blood pressure meds such as the beta blockers (atenolol, metoprolol, other -ol drugs, calcium channel blockers such as diltiazem, amlodipine, etc). I ask because I take a fairly high dose of metoprolol daily (for control of cardiac arrthymias) and it lowers my resting heart rate into the 40's-even the low 40's (but the blood pressure is ok). I recently had an EGD and a colonoscopy, and was instructed to take the cardiac and blood pressure meds in the AM before the procedure, and I knew my heart rate would be low. But I told the anesthesiologist about the meds I was taking and explained that if my heart rate was slow, it was because of the meds. He said not to worry, they saw that not infrequently. I heard him comment after the endoscopies were over that I was bradycardic during the procedures but it was due to the beta blockers I took, so no worries. And I was ok. I don't think I had Versed, I'm not sure what the anesthesia was that they used, but my impression is it was propofol. I woke right up afterwords and didn't even feel drowsy.

They will check your heart rate, ECG, and other vitals before your colonoscopy, and you will be monitored by an anesthesiologist who will administer and control the anesthesia you get. In the event your heart rate (or anything else for that matter)gets out of whack they will deal with it appropriately. But it wouldn't hurt for you to voice your concerns to the personnel including the doc, anesthesiologist, or any other caretaker there, if for no other reason than to be reassured that it is most likely no cause for concern.

Good luck with your colonoscopy tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:50 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
My understanding is that they have someone monitoring your vitals. The reason Versed can ONLY be used in a hospital setting is because it can affect your vital signs, so it should only be used with supervision.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:58 PM

I take a low dose beta blocker for high pulse rate, but my pulse is sooooo low now.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
They will have s Me one closely monitoring it and adjust accordingly. They wouldn’t do the procedure if they were worried about it.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
They will have s Me one closely monitoring it and adjust accordingly. They wouldn’t do the procedure if they were worried about it.
They dont really know about it. I mentioned it to the nurse. She did say my pulse was very low and said to mention it to them in the morning

Old 05-29-2018, 05:24 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
I take a low dose beta blocker for high pulse rate, but my pulse is sooooo low now.
Have you checked with your MD?
Dosage might be too high....

Old 05-29-2018, 05:52 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
Quote:
They dont really know about it. I mentioned it to the nurse. She did say my pulse was very low and said to mention it to them in the morning

She should have put that in your chart but tell them in the morning. They have meds they can use to counteract any issues like that and will monitor closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness