Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

So...I seem to be suffering from sciatica.

It's nothing new per se, I have had pain on this side for 20 years, since my son was born. Every once in a while it feels like my hip "pops out" and then back in again and then I feel a lot of relief.

It rarely lasts long. And I've had it treated in the past. But last week I was just lying there reading and suddenly the muscles in my thigh started jumping everywhere. I thought...wow, well, that's weird, but...Welcome to 50. The wheels all fall off. It's all good, I can still walk around...

Well, that didn't last. Because THE PAIN.

Oh my God...

I go between hunched over and walking like a cavewoman, to walking fairly straight, to just not being able to get up at all because disturbingly, my legs also go weak. Now it's both of them.

I know the answer here...see a doctor. Beat ya to the punch!

Monday - went to Urgent Care because my auth for a chiropractor wasn't going through and the pain was horrific. I woke up and literally screamed when I moved. Urgent Care shot me in the rear with a steroid and gave me Prednisone to take for 5 days, plus a muscle relaxant for at night only.

The FIRST day *after* the shot (not that day) the pain was gone. I mean literally gone!

Then bam, back again.

I see a chiropractor tomorrow. But this is scary and I wonder if anyone else has gone though it and it was...well, not a diagnosis of Ow My Laig Cancer or MS or something totally horrible. This is bad. Bad bad bad.

P.s. I'm doing the ow my laig thing because of a TV show I used to watch...my kids were scared by the way I was walking and the obvious pain so I started yelling OW MAH LAIIIIG and they thought it was a SpongeBob reference so they're all good, for now...sometimes you just have to laugh to get through it.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who had "sciatica" and it was this bad and...well, you didn't die, you're still here and what did you do in addition to shots or what-have-you? I have been trying heat, hot soaks, and stretching (all on the advice of the Urgent Care doctor).

But the reality is...it's getting worse and I'm scared...

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 04:43 PM

574 posts, read 267,694 times
Disclaimer: never had Sciatica but am a fitness fanatic.

Did you try these exercises:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnCxaS6aikg

How active are you in the day? What medications are you on?

Heads up, long term use of prednisone leads to osteoporosis and diabetes as well as more frequent infections.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
Disclaimer: never had Sciatica but am a fitness fanatic.

Did you try these exercises:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnCxaS6aikg

How active are you in the day? What medications are you on?

Heads up, long term use of prednisone leads to osteoporosis and diabetes as well as more frequent infections.
Thank you!

I am active as far as working out, but obviously not since last week. So I am doing as much walking as I can tolerate.

I hate the Prednisone so much. Luckily this is only a 5-day course.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 909,084 times
"I'd love to hear from anyone else who had "sciatica" and it was this bad and...well,
you didn't die, you're still here and what did you do in addition to shots or what-have-you?"

1. rest cured mine.
2. standing up was fine, laying down flat--no pain...the in-between hurt a lot.
3. this is the really long part of my post:

essentially, my muscles that surrounded my sciatic nerve had atrophied.
with age and less physical work, the muscles "shrank" and gave the nerve
some extra room to move around to places where it could be pinched and
get inflamed and "stuck" where it was until the inflammation "went down".
so, rest until the nerve stabilized and could get back to where it started from.
after that, build the surrounding muscles back up. lots of excercise options.
of course, nothing human is perfection. expect a recurrence. repeat therapy.
it has worked for me well enough so i have had no episodes in three years.

Last edited by king john IV; 02-02-2023 at 07:28 PM..

Old 02-02-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
"I'd love to hear from anyone else who had "sciatica" and it was this bad and...well,
you didn't die, you're still here and what did you do in addition to shots or what-have-you?"

1. rest cured mine.
2. standing up was fine, laying down flat--no pain...the in-between hurt a lot.
3. this is really long part of my post:

essentially, my muscles that surrounded my sciatic nerve had atrophied.
with age and less physical work, the muscles "shrank" and gave the nerve
some extra room to move around to places where it could be pinched and
get inflamed and "stuck" where it was until the inflammation "went down".
so, rest until the nerve stabilized and could get back to where it started from.
after that, build the surrounding muscles back up. lots of excercise options.
of course, nothing human is perfection. expect a recurrence. repeat therapy.
it has worked for me well enough so i have had no episodes in three years.
Thank you! This is helpful. I am so glad you're feeling better.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:28 PM

1,063 posts, read 909,084 times
you are welcome.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:41 PM

I don't believe rest is good. Any healing needs blood flowing, and movement stimulates blood flow. You don't need to go crazy, but you need to move it, especially at our ages what you don't move you lose. Stretching is great, though i never experienced sciatica, I've experienced countless injuries as an athlete in my younger days and just doing stupid stuff, and the more I rested the longer my recovery was, always. Move.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
I don't believe rest is good. Any healing needs blood flowing, and movement stimulates blood flow. You don't need to go crazy, but you need to move it, especially at our ages what you don't move you lose. Stretching is great, though i never experienced sciatica, I've experienced countless injuries as an athlete in my younger days and just doing stupid stuff, and the more I rested the longer my recovery was, always. Move.
Yes, the UC doctor said if I can't do my regular workouts (if? LOLZ oh the humor) I should walk as long as I can stand it.

But you know what...today I just couldn't stand it, period. It is bad.

Tomorrow is the chiropractor.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:37 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

It's nothing new per se, I have had pain on this side for 20 years, since my son was born. Every once in a while it feels like my hip "pops out" and then back in again and then I feel a lot of relief.

It rarely lasts long. And I've had it treated in the past. But last week I was just lying there reading and suddenly the muscles in my thigh started jumping everywhere.

Sciatica is the irritation of the sciatic nerve, usually caused by herniation of a lumbar disc that impinges the nerve in the root canal of the involved vertebra. The victim complains of pain &/or parasthesia &/or muscle wekaness in the areas innervated by the involved nerve root. That's usually down the thigh &/or calf &/or the foot...NOT the back or hip joint area.

The symptoms usually come on more or less suddenly, but get worse over the course of a day or two as the injury causes inflammation, which causes swelling, which pinches the nerve even more. Time, rest and the use of anti-inflammatories (like prednisone) will allow the swelling to get better, but do nothing to "un-herniate" the extruded disc-- the real source of the problem....

Your case seems to involve the hip joint, probably an arthritis/ degenerative (high mileage) process, maybe aggravated by demineralization, &/or partial dislocation straning the ligaments around rthe joint. Rare things like bone mets (usually unrelenting pain) should be kept at least in the back of our minds.

You need a good physical exam supplemented by x-rays, CT or MRI to provide an exact diagnosis before any treatment beyond pain killers is prescribed. Exercise, maneuvers, manipulations may make things worse if applied in the wrong situation.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Sciatica is the irritation of the sciatic nerve, usually caused by herniation of a lumbar disc that impinges the nerve in the root canal of the involved vertebra. The victim complains of pain &/or parasthesia &/or muscle wekaness in the areas innervated by the involved nerve root. That's usually down the thigh &/or calf &/or the foot...NOT the back or hip joint area.

The symptoms usually come on more or less suddenly, but get worse over the course of a day or two as the injury causes inflammation, which causes swelling, which pinches the nerve even more. Time, rest and the use of anti-inflammatories (like prednisone) will allow the swelling to get better, but do nothing to "un-herniate" the extruded disc-- the real source of the problem....

Your case seems to involve the hip joint, probably an arthritis/ degenerative (high mileage) process, maybe aggravated by demineralization, &/or partial dislocation straning the ligaments around rthe joint. Rare things like bone mets (usually unrelenting pain) should be kept at least in the back of our minds.

You need a good physical exam supplemented by x-rays, CT or MRI to provide an exact diagnosis before any treatment beyond pain killers is prescribed. Exercise, maneuvers, manipulations may make things worse if applied in the wrong situation.
Of course she should get her MRIs and CT scans, I assume those were done in her diagnosis as those are routine.

But, it sounds very simple to me, she has an unstable joint that during displacement, irritates her nerve.

I suffered a posterior labral tear in my left shoulder, deformation of my glenohumeral after a motorcycle accident. The only re-course medical professionals gave me was surgery. I opted out.

My shoulder was unstable and dislocated 3-4 times in the span of 1 year when I was listening to their advice, which was always rest and sling until it heals. However, that advice is terrible.

Besides the fact that due to damage of several tendons, glenohumeral, and other connective tissue, the only thing keeping my shoulder stable is my muscle. Working that muscle has fixed my instability issues, and without the down time and risk of surgery. When I began ignoring medical advice to sling my arm after dislocation for 2 weeks (or more) and just went to the gym is when my dislocations became less and less frequent.

My symptoms were similar to hers, just in my arm, when my shoulder was unstable. Muscles would spasm, pain would radiate down my arm, or paresthesia during random times the shoulder would be displaced. But that's all gone due to working the muscle. My orthopedic told me even with surgery I would never lift heavy again, without surgery I now lift heavy almost everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness